Rules/Crunch of Eyros

Rystil Arden

First Post
Whoops, I gave them Dwarven as a Bonus Language because I, idiot that I am, forgot to edit it off the list from the Monster Manual. Me: "Uh, me know there be dwarves here, so not think about it more." Consider it fixed. I also take issue with the favoured class thing in many situations, but its best to have one for people who do use them.

domino

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Whoops, I gave them Dwarven as a Bonus Language because I, idiot that I am, forgot to edit it off the list from the Monster Manual. Consider it fixed. I also take issue with the favoured class thing in many situations, but its best to have one for people who do use them.
Fair enough.

Now, I was thinking of doing stuff other than NPCs for a bit. Like specific magic items, or artifacts like crown jewels, weapons of legendary heros of legend, stuff like that.

As we have only had one object of importance mentioned, I submit;

The Amethyst Crown of Eyros.

This crown is the symbol of authority for the King of Eyros. It is carved from a single piece of Amethyst crystal, shaped like a circlet with squared spikes or horns rising around the circle, with the middle spike slightly larger than the others. It is mostly colored a dark violet, but with veins of clear crystal throughout it.

As it is to be worn by many different people, but is fixed at a single size, it is mounted onto a metal helm or cap, which is then fitted to the size and shape of the head of the ruler.

It can only be worn by an Orc or Half-Orc, or someone with Orc blood. Any non-Orc attempting to wear the crown immediately takes 10d6 points of damage once a round, until the crown is removed. This damage is considered to be magic for the purposes of Damage Reduction.

As a means of continuing the dominance over the Elvish population of Eyros, drains the life force of the King. It ages the king at triple the normal rate. Thus, a typical young adult King would become middle aged after only 5 years, old after 10 years, and venerable after only 15 years on the throne. If he does not abdicate at that point, he would most likely die within 5 to 10 years after that. Upon abdication, he continues to age at a normal rate.

In addition, when the crown is being worn, the wearer gains a +10 (or more? less?) competence bonus to all Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive checks he makes.

Finally, the crown allows the wearer the following abilities.

Charm person, at will. Suggestion, Mass 3/day, and Command, Greater1/day.

Any suggestions? Some sort of offensive or defensive use as well, in case the guards have failed maybe?

Last edited:

Breakstone

First Post
What do you think of something like this:

Red Clothing: Clothes of red cloth cost double in Eyros. A character wearing predominantly red clothing gains a +1 bonus to diplomacy, intimidate, and gather information checks when in cities aligned with the Dominion of Eyros.

Copper Stain: Copper Stain stains a character's skin green for 1d4 days. It is often painted onto the skin in intricate designs. A character donned with Copper Stain gains a +1 bonus to diplomacy, intimidate, and gather information checks when in cities aligned with the Dominion of Eyros

Rystil Arden

First Post
The clothing and dye with circumstance bonuses are a nice reflection of what we know of Eyrian fashion.

As for the crown, I'm fairly sure I said it ages the wearer, but I might have just said that it drains lifeforce; I had imagined it triples the aging process for the wearer, so a young-adult 15-year-old king who refuses to abdicate after a period of 15 years has been rendered Venerable, whereas he would otherwise have barely entered Middle Age. I also hadn't intended for it to have invocable powers on the wearer's behalf, as I figured Thanatos and the gnomes would want to keep themselves invaluable (the charm and suggestion aren't really so much of a problem as the Dominate, see below). That said, if we use the ability damage, emperors have to abdicate *very* quickly or risk becoming totally enfeebled. Also, the dominate power of the crown, which lasts 1 day/level (and the caster level would probably be rather high) would create a powerful force in and of itself in guaranteeing slavish servants to the emperor (assuming noone made their save, the emperor could effectively keep X enslaved servants, where X equals the item's caster level). For the flavour, if not the power, of Dominate, you could replace it with the weaker and perhaps more appropriate Command (I can see the emperor using the "Kneel" Command on unruly subjects). Also, for consistency change the Insight bonuses to skills into Competence bonuses to prevent them from stacking with bonuses from other magic items (which are Competence)

domino

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
As for the crown, I'm fairly sure I said it ages the wearer, but I might have just said that it drains lifeforce; I had imagined it triples the aging process for the wearer, so a young-adult 15-year-old king who refuses to abdicate after a period of 15 years has been rendered Venerable, whereas he would otherwise have barely entered Middle Age.
Fair enough. I actually thought about doing the triple age process, but I couldn't think of any way to work it mechanics. But now I have an idea.

And I'll switch out or eliminate the dominate. I didn't realize how long it would last. I was thinking it more as a way to forcibly bring a disruly cortier to hell, or something similar. The suggestion is used for things like clearing out the court of people who might otherwise want to try to find a way to eavesdrop or bother the king.

And I'll switch the insight to competence bonuses. Is 10 appropriate, or should I make them 15 or 20 maybe?

domino

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
10 is a good number for the high-end skill bonuses. Command could bring a disruly courtier to heel, at least for a single round.
I used Greater Command, which would last for several rounds, instead.

Mark Causey

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
Oh, can anyone tell me how to make my class description align properly? I've tried a few times unsuccessfully. Thanks!

Take everything you want to have line up in a program like notepad that will put things in a text only format, this will let things line up. Then cut and paste into a code tag. Like this:

Code:
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special                                   Spells per Day
1st   +0   +0   +0  +2   Wild Synergy, Skill Bonus, +1 to Con      --
2nd   +1   +0   +0  +3   +1 to Nat. Arm., +1 to Dex                +1 to level of Druid
3rd   +2   +1   +1  +3   +1 to Nat. Arm., +1 to Str, Imp. Bite     --
4th   +3   +1   +1  +4   +1 to Con and Dex, Claw Attacks           +1 to level of Druid
5th   +3   +1   +1  +4   +1 Str, +1 Nat. Arm, Imp Claws            +1 to level of Druid

Rystil Arden

First Post
adamantineangel said:
Take everything you want to have line up in a program like notepad that will put things in a text only format, this will let things line up. Then cut and paste into a code tag. Like this:

Code:
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special                                   Spells per Day
1st   +0   +0   +0  +2   Wild Synergy, Skill Bonus, +1 to Con      --
2nd   +1   +0   +0  +3   +1 to Nat. Arm., +1 to Dex                +1 to level of Druid
3rd   +2   +1   +1  +3   +1 to Nat. Arm., +1 to Str, Imp. Bite     --
4th   +3   +1   +1  +4   +1 to Con and Dex, Claw Attacks           +1 to level of Druid
5th   +3   +1   +1  +4   +1 Str, +1 Nat. Arm, Imp Claws            +1 to level of Druid
Thanks for that! I replaced the incomprehensible gibberish I had before (Well, maybe not so incomprehensible, since you figured out hat it was supposed to say)

Remove ads