• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules/suggestions for running message board game?

The Crimster

First Post
I'm thinking of running a game on the message boards here (In Character, I believe) and I was hoping that some of you may have some experience in doing this and might have some advice. I remember a web site somewhere that had a lot of this type of material, but I can't find it again.

Suggestions? Advice? Dire warnings?

The Crimster

Cor Azer

First Post
The Crimster said:
I'm thinking of running a game on the message boards here (In Character, I believe) and I was hoping that some of you may have some experience in doing this and might have some advice. I remember a web site somewhere that had a lot of this type of material, but I can't find it again.

Suggestions? Advice? Dire warnings?

The Crimster

Sean Reynolds's site (http://www.seankreynolds.com) has some stuff on running PbeM games. For the most part, the same considerations are valid. It's a place to start at least.

Dieter

First Post
In a word...patience.

You have to assume that everyone is not online 24/7 and that your 10 characters may be in 10 different timezones replying at all hours of the day.

Other things to consider. Have two threads going for any storyline.

1) An "on-topic" story thread where only the story is discussed and "in-character"

2) An "off-topic" thread that can deal with banter and story related questions and problems for both GM and players. This is commonly known as the OOC: Out Of Character thread.

Top that off with illness, computer/network problems, holidays, vacations...it can be quite a nightmare trying to keep any sort of continuity.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Read some of the games in the IC forum. (Insert plug for Non-Iconics Adventure here.) They're good for getting a feel for it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads