• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running a D20 Modern Game

KeithCrimson

First Post
So after not running a game for afew years I've thrust myself back into the title of GM. I'm going to incorporate some of the feats from spycraft and possibly a few rules, but Iwas wondering if anyone had any Houserules they felt made the game run more streamlined. Or even house rules that you like. I have a few in mind I'm just looking for ideas.

When playing a modern game does using fantasy miniatures take away from the game? If using modern miniatures does it add to the flavor? Can anyone make suggestions for modern minuatures. I have a few bookmarks at home but one of the places I'm going to order from is from http://www.fozzbozz.com/default.aspx?cat=13

Thanks in advance.

Aussiegamer

First Post
for the feel yes I find that using a orc with a sword mini is not as good as having then armed in power armour and using a thumping big gun.

It does, for me, add that big of flavour, but in the end its not a game killer.

arscott

First Post
Well, I run my d20 modern games using dice as minis, so I don't think fantasy minis hurt to much.

On the other hand, if you're into versimilitued, you might have better luck using paper standups or counters. I know you can get printable modern counters on fiery dragon's Counter collection CD, and you can always just pull images off of the internet--modern images are really easy to find online.

Ranger REG

Explorer
KeithCrimson said:
When playing a modern game does using fantasy miniatures take away from the game?
IMHO, no, though a few of my very opinionated gamers would disagree, though I should note, they take vanity to a whole 'nother level.

KeithCrimson said:
If using modern miniatures does it add to the flavor?
IMHO, a little but I could care less. At least it quieted and calmed down the aforementioned gamers.

KeithCrimson said:
Can anyone make suggestions for modern minuatures.
Try EM-4 Miniatures company.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
KeithCrimson said:
Iwas wondering if anyone had any Houserules they felt made the game run more streamlined. Or even house rules that you like. I have a few in mind I'm just looking for ideas.
Why, yes, yes I do. Skill Groups make for more skillful and capable modern heroes while still letting the skillful classes be extremely skillful. I don't apply them to Ordinaries, for simplicity and to emphasize the heroicness of the heroes.

Good luck!

C. Baize

First Post
Automatic Gunfire: Reflex Save DC = Attacker's modified attack roll.
Explosives: Diminishing effect for distance. Meaning a frag grenade might deal 6d6 in a 5' radius, 5d6 out to 10', 4d6 out to 15', 3d6 out to 20', 2d6 out to 15', and 1d6 out to 20'. Switch up the damage as you feel appropriate for the individual explosives. You can also change the ranges... make them 10' range increments, instead for a more gritty/realistic damage radius.

C. Baize

First Post
Committed Hero said:
Does "modified" mean the roll - the 10 AC to hit the intended square?

Sorry... I should have clarified... By modified roll I mean their D20 Roll plus their full array of modifiers for the weapon in question (BAB, Dex modifier, feats, etc...). This keeps the automatic weapon fire lethal at higher levels so that Fast heroes aren't immune to it by 8th level or something... ya know?

Remove ads