• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Russell T Davies steps down from Dr Who!

sckeener

First Post
I just saw this over at Circvs Maximvs

Truth Seeker IV said:
BBC News/Entertainment:Russell T Davies is to step down as executive producer of Doctor Who, the BBC has announced.

Davies is credited with breathing new life into the show which he brought back to television screens in 2005.

Bafta-winning writer Steven Moffat will succeed Davies as lead writer and executive producer of the fifth series of Doctor Who.

I've been sold on Steven Moffat since The Girl in the Fireplace...but Blink has a warm spot in my heart too.

Here's what he has done on Doctor Who to date:
# The Empty Child (21 May 2005)
# The Doctor Dances (28 May 2005)
# The Girl in the Fireplace (6 May 2006)
# Blink (9 June 2007)

RatPunk

First Post
I read rumors late last year that this was going to happen. While I'm sorry to see Davies go, I think Moffat is an excellent choice to succeed him.

Fast Learner

First Post
Fan-frickin-tastic. I'm very happy with the way Davies brought The Doctor back, even if I didn't care for some of his choices. Moffat, though, is clearly incredibly talented at writing episodes: here's much excitement and hope about him running the show.

Felon

First Post
Davies' had a good run. Here's wishing the best for Moffat. If he puts half the creative emergu into season five that he poured into Jekyll, then it'll still go down as one of the best Who seasons ever.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
sckeener said:
Here's what he has done on Doctor Who to date:
# The Empty Child (21 May 2005)
# The Doctor Dances (28 May 2005)
# The Girl in the Fireplace (6 May 2006)
# Blink (9 June 2007)
IMDB lists him as having scripted two episodes for later this season as well.

horacethegrey

First Post
While I'll be eternally grateful to Davies for bringing back what is arguably the greatest scifi show on TV, I'm kinda glad he's stepping down. His recent stories weren't the greatest and I could detect a marked decline in quality over the past two seasons.

Hopefully Moffat will bring a whole new freshness and energy into the show. Still, I wish Davies all the best. It's been an amazing run on Doctor Who with him in charge.

Felon

First Post
horacethegrey said:
While I'll be eternally grateful to Davies for bringing back what is arguably the greatest scifi show on TV, I'm kinda glad he's stepping down. His recent stories weren't the greatest and I could detect a marked decline in quality over the past two seasons.
I don't know if I'd even say the quality had dipped so much as Davies just started repeating himself in terms of plots, themes, characterization and so forth. He ran out of things to do with the Doctor. And apparently, he can't think of any other type of companion than "cheeky woman".

Remove ads