• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rystil's Neospelljamming Gestalt Setting: Berserker and Eldritch Infiltrator Up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Rystil Arden said:
she had originally been built using Player's Option, so she legitimately needed that to complete her concept and wasn't just cherrydipping for Wisdom to AC ;)

Ouch! The character above was built with a 36 buy I think but only started with 6 Points in her charisma. (She got it up to 31.)

Rystil Arden said:
Bwahaha :D. Look at it this way: Losing a character == you get to try another concept ;)

At the table top death isn't so bad... In PbP where I can spend a week making a background and such it’s not something I can shrug off as easy as you. :)

Rystil Arden said:
Quite weak, and yes very fun. IMC let them cast using Spell Points to make up for it ;)

Ahh she was given spontaneous casting of healing spells and little else but truth be told she's not suppose to be all that powerful… It doesn’t make character sense for her to be anything other than a support character. :)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Ahh she was given spontaneous casting of healing spells and little else but truth be told she's not suppose to be all that powerful… It doesn’t make character sense for her to be anything other than a support character.

Even with the SP, she wasn't very powerful, but at least she had exactly the healing the party needed, when they needed it. That said, the players in my 18-20th-level level campaign are drooling about the chance to get a level 20 Healer cohort soon. (check out the level 20 ability, its Supernatural! Look ma--no components!)

At the table top death isn't so bad... In PbP where I can spend a week making a background and such it’s not something I can shrug off as easy as you.

Speed, improvising, and rules-knowledge are my only appreciable skills, so I can make background and stuff very quickly if needed, even doing so over the shoulders of a group of players to speed them all up...like the time I had two TPKs in one night (and thus started three games)...not the brightest group I ever played with, mind you. One of the games was a playtest of this GesNeoSpejam setting, and the Spellsword was a little bit obsessed with Charm Person, even after the Spellfrenzied warned him that he was playing his character with a flaw where he always goes into Frenzy on a successful save against hostile magic...the Spellfrenzied got a crit with his greataxe...The other one, they were level 3 characters killed by a band of 8 humdrum MM goblins, who attacked them crossbows. In the one that survived, they all made half-fey characters (using my homebrew templates) and the half-dryad and the half-nymph spent half the game RPing their stay in a luxuriant inn using the money from the unconscious half-pixie and half-dark-sidhe...

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Rystil Arden said:
(check out the level 20 ability, its Supernatural! Look ma--no components!)

True very true... I think my character is more looking forward to level 8. ;)

Me myself, I'm a simple man... I just want a 17th level favored soul. :D

Rystil Arden

First Post
Brother Shatterstone said:
True very true... I think my character is more looking forward to level 8. ;)

Me myself, I'm a simple man... I just want a 17th level favored soul. :D
Yeah, but you don't know my players...they've spent almost half a million gold on True Resurrections.

As for Favoured souls, don't they only get 9th-level spells at level 18?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Brother Shatterstone said:
ouch....

Don't know but they sprout wings at that level! :D
They only accept True Rezes for themselves, their cohorts, and their NPC allies. They figure that if 5 GP = 1 XP, then a True Rez is worth the price after level 5.

Heh, if you had just wanted to fly around, you could have gotten it much sooner as a Warlock ;)

silentspace

First Post
Rystil, I have a few thoughts... what might be easiest is for me to give them in terms of standard classes, and you can help me choose one of your class/race combos?

The first is a gestalt fighter/rogue or fighter/monk. Basically high BAB + either SA or flurry, and skills. A melee machine.

Another idea is a halfling or goblin mounted warrior. Complete Warrior has the worg listed as an improved familiar :) So I'm thinking of something like a cavalier/halfling outrider/wizard (just enough wizard levels to get the worg familiar) character, with some sort of pumped-up special mount/familiar/cohort

Or a fighter/paladin/cleric/hammer of moradin dwarf.

I guess they are all of the same theme - the uber melee fighter, leaving the spellcasting and the diplomacy to others. :) Any thoughts?

Rystil Arden

First Post
silentspace said:
Rystil, I have a few thoughts... what might be easiest is for me to give them in terms of standard classes, and you can help me choose one of your class/race combos?

The first is a gestalt fighter/rogue or fighter/monk. Basically high BAB + either SA or flurry, and skills. A melee machine.

Another idea is a halfling or goblin mounted warrior. Complete Warrior has the worg listed as an improved familiar :) So I'm thinking of something like a cavalier/halfling outrider/wizard (just enough wizard levels to get the worg familiar) character, with some sort of pumped-up special mount/familiar/cohort

Or a fighter/paladin/cleric/hammer of moradin dwarf.

I guess they are all of the same theme - the uber melee fighter, leaving the spellcasting and the diplomacy to others. :) Any thoughts?
No dwarves, halflings, or goblins. Well except as "lesser-races who might make cameo appearances."

As for classes, your first idea (skillful fighter) would go well with:

Gladiator (Praetorianus), Raider (Nardaln), Martial Artist (Lara Kai), Swashbuckler (Rowain), Ronin (Lara Kai), Soulwarden/Soulreaver (Chuliit), Sohei (Lara Kai), Liberator/Oppressor (Preatorianus), Amazon (Amaranthia), Alley Stalker (Eldiz), Bounty Hunter (Eldiz)

Second (mounted):

Knight (Rowain), Champion (Sancirce), or maybe Raider or Warmage with Reduce Person (Praetorianus)

Third (fighter/paladin/clericish of some sort):

Zealot (Sancirce), Totemist (Chuliit), Wrathbringer/Hatebringer (Nardaln), Templar (Praetorianus), Champion, Inquisitor (Sancirce), Swanmay (Amaranthia), Preserver (Valthas), Animist (Chuliit), Knight, Samurai (Lara Kai), Soulwarden, Avenger/Hatesower (Valthas), Liberator

Rystil Arden

First Post
Whoops! Just realised that you were putting the races in the terms of basic races. Lessee what I can find:

Nibelan are very dwarflike, and they're also the only size small race, so they're the most like halflings and goblins in that aspect I guess.

If you wanted halfling for high Dex instead of size, though, Larakese, Melodians, Harmonians, maybe Dolathi (their stats shift around, they're shapeshifters), Feldori, Narlsemen, Sidhe, some Nymphs (based on type), Plebs, and Vildri all have Dex bonuses. Of those, none of the Melodian/Harmonian classes fits any of your concepts at all, leaving the others.

According to my playtest statistics, the best race/class combo for "uberest me smashing you and no be doing nothing else" is Tralg Berserker, despite the fact that Tralgs are forced to take their first level in humanoid, with no gestalt. This is likely to have something to do with the fact that Tralgs are size large. Of course the -4 to all mental stats might hurt a bit ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads