• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

S1: The Strange Case of Aif Jenkins' Farm (E13 judge) - Concluded

Boddynock

First Post
Tall and big-boned, Father Eusebius is nevertheless lean and wiry. He keeps his auburn hair cropped short and is clean shaven. He wears simple clothes and a roughly carved wooden symbol of a mace at his breast. Although he has left his pack upstairs, he lays a gleaming spiked chain on the chair next to his.

His eyes, which are a deep hazel, are partly closed, as if in pain, although whether it is in response to the cavalier approach to trouble demonstrated by some of the guests, or a protest at the generally low quality of the jokes being told, it's hard to say.

He refuses a glass of wine, bowing his head to Toler and saying, "Thank you, but I will stay with the ale. I have learned that it is better not to mix my drinks."

When Juliana mentions the mission that Eusebius has been tasked with, he sits up even straighter in his chair and looks over the assembled company. Then, turning to Boog, he says, "The high priest of Hyrag has enjoined me to travel to that Beth Hannon which Toler has just mentioned is the site of his brother's brewery. There I am to find the paladin Torvin Akenthrasher and give him a message from the high priest. It is once we have joined with this Torvin that the real mission is to begin. Forgive me, but I am not at liberty to say more at the moment. Are you interested in accompanying us? I can offer a reward, which we can discuss later, if you wish."

El Jefe

First Post
Boog neither laughed nor told any jokes. To the others, it seemed that his sense of humor was quite...impaired.
Boddynock said:
"Are you interested in accompanying us? I can offer a reward, which we can discuss later, if you wish."
Boog shrugged. "Looks like we're all going to Beth Hannon", he opined. "That suits me for now."

Manzanita

First Post
Toler chokes on his wine during Eusebius' little speech. He coughs a bit and sits down again.

"Torvin Akenthrasher? I've heard that name." says Reinert. "Beth Hannon is a big city. How you expect to find him?"

XP award #1: 25 XPs to Banion. The joke king!

Boddynock

First Post
Manzanita said:
Toler chokes on his wine during Eusebius' little speech. He coughs a bit and sits down again.

"Torvin Akenthrasher? I've heard that name." says Reinert. "Beth Hannon is a big city. How you expect to find him?"
"First, I had thought to ask at the local temple of Hyrag. Beyond that? In truth I had not given it any thought."

"You say you have heard of Torvin? What do you know of him?"

SlagMortar

First Post
Oh great, make a joke about a paladin without thinking the priest there would know one. Oh well, at least he seems more the dismissive type than the get angry and kill you over an insult type. Beamer remains quiet for the moment and listens as the conversation unfolds. Perhaps the service this paladin requires involves tramping off somewhere remote, which might serve Banion and himself even better than this relative in Braeholl.

Manzanita

First Post
At this point, a knock is heard on the door, and a woman comes in. She is in her late 40s and worn with a life of hard work. But she has a smile on her face and a large plate in her hands. On the plate are three loaves of bread, slices of mutton and cheese, and several yellow apples, slightly wrinkled.

"Hello there." she says. "I'm Mary. I've got some dinner here for those who arrived late." She moves forward and puts the plate on the table."

Reinert is gulping down yet another mug of red wine, and even his dwarven constitution can't save him from its effects. "Torbert Akenthraken, 'init he dat mercenary guy. Big human. Heavy armor. Big horse?"

"Torvin Akenthrasher? No dear. He's no mercenary." says Mary. "Not anymore, anyhows. He's a follower of Hyrag now. Turned his back on the old ways. And so hansome, he is." she adds mischievously.

Patlin

Explorer
Banion looks over one of the apples, and a thought occurs to him.

I wonder how cleanly I could slice that up? My blade is getting sharper, but it's really mostly a point... well, the idea of a point, anyway. Maybe I could do some work on it, develop an edge.

He's listening to the conversation with half his mind, trying to decide how he should react. Maybe a mission involving a Paladin would work out better than investigating a theft or investigating a smuggling ring? Paladins are surely less dire than thieves or smugglers.

He gives Beamer a look, trying to determine whether his friend is interested in helping these people out.

SlagMortar

First Post
"Hello, Mary. Thanks so much for putting this together for us. It smells terrific."

Beamer nods at Banion's look. His distrust has been relieved some at the discussion of helping work for a paladin of Hyrag. He is uncertain if the invitation to join was directed solely at Boog, or if the others were included as well. Deciding to clear things up, he addresses Eusebius, "I don't wish to speak for Banion, but I think we would be interested in accompanying you as well, if you'll have us. We were headed for Braeholl, but not on any pressing business. Your group would no doubt find Banion's scouting and fighting abilities invaluable and I have talents a bit more arcane, but useful none the less."

Bront

The man with the probe
Juliana smiles at the meal, and accepts some wine, "Thank you," she says to Mary with a pleasant smile.
Manzanita said:
"Torvin Akenthrasher? No dear. He's no mercenary." says Mary. "Not anymore, anyhows. He's a follower of Hyrag now. Turned his back on the old ways. And so hansome, he is." she adds mischievously.
Juliana rolls her eyes at the last comment. "Well, if he's well known, he should be easy to locate. Perhaps we need only follow the trail of the swooning women?" her voice curt at the last part.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads