• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sample Commoners and Aristocrats

Androrc

First Post
In the Dungeon Master's Guide 3.5, there are sample NPCs of all of the normal base classes. But, no sample NPCs of the NPC classes (Aristocrat, Commoner, etc.). Can I find those somewhere?

aboyd

Explorer
There is a Swords & Sorcery book full of NPCs that has many NPC classes in it. I can't recall the name of the book right now, and my copy is in storage. But maybe that helps?

The other option is to use the free HeroForge spreadsheet (if you have Excel), as it has the classes and can walk you through creating some NPCs fairly quickly.

Androrc

First Post
There is a Swords & Sorcery book full of NPCs that has many NPC classes in it. I can't recall the name of the book right now, and my copy is in storage. But maybe that helps?

The other option is to use the free HeroForge spreadsheet (if you have Excel), as it has the classes and can walk you through creating some NPCs fairly quickly.

Thanks :) Another question - are there packages described somewhere for the NPC classes, should a PC decide to use one of them as his starting class?

Thanael

Explorer
My pet peeve: NPC classes.

IMO 1st level (N)PCs are children or adolescents. This is supported by the starting ages for PC classes. NPCs gain XP too! I think that the NPC classes were invented for exactly that. In 2E you had all those 0-lvl humans running around who would die if you so much as looked at them. 3e takes nice care of that. A commoner will advance to level 2 or 3 at least, perhaps level 6 when he dies of old age. Age modifiers will do their part to keep some of his abilities like hps and fighting ability stagnating (or even deteriorating) between levels 3 to 6 while his life experience increases his skills and abilities (feats). Check out the examples in the threads above. Level 1 commmoners have to be either very young or very inexperienced IMO.

See also SKR's Theory about peasants and the great Level advancement over a lifetime, and the Common Commoner discussions on ENWorld.

Here are some threads withinteresting NPCs

MavrickWeirdo's:
NPC Commoner over a lifetime
NPC guard over lifetime
Commoner 2: Elf Farmer, over a lifetime
NPC Expert Horseman over a lifetime
Commoner vs. Expert over a lifetime
Commoners 1: Runners
Ellie May, Farmer's daugher
Goblin-a-day

Blackdirge's:
The rise and fall of an Orc Chieftain (Orc warrior NPC throughout his life)
Myrgle, Adept of Yeenoghu (Gnoll NPC adept throughout his life and beyond)
Urg the Unlikely, Half-Ogre Wizard NPC throughout a lifetime.
Grummok Gargoyle Assassin throughout a lifetime
Nithrekel, Earth Mephit Fighter NPC through 50 years of servitude
Stats from Metamorphosis - From Dretch to Demon Lord.
Suped up Monsters

Turanil's
D100 NPC thread has lots of very interesting Everyday NPCs
, among them:
Very high level basic NPCs
Toothless Joe, high level commoner
... and many many others. Send him a mail or post in the thread to get the compiled document with all 100 NPCs.

Farmer Tobias, an Epic level Commoner

Check out the excellent Commoner Campaign thread on WotC boards for an actual solo campaign log with a commoner PC. (including 3E statblocks)

Last edited:

FoxWander

Adventurer
You should also check out Everyone Else from the ENWorld store. It seems to be exactly what you're looking for! It's got descriptions and stat blocks (at various levels) for pretty much any NPC profession you can find in a village/city. It's an excellent resource that I've used several times.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads