• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Savage Tide! (Recruiting Closed, Players Selected!)

neg

Explorer
A few concepts...

Wavecrest Gnome from Stormwrack - basically the only difference between Wavecrest gnomes and regular gnomes is they get a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against locathah and Sahuagin as opposed to kobolds and goblinoids.

Spell Like abilities are 1/day speak with animals (sea birds/not burrowing mammals) and 1/day cast dancing lights, know direction, and presdigitation if Charisma is 10+.

Thought was a Wavecrest Gnome Fighter or Ranger. Wielding a hooked hammer. Looking to work on trip and two weapon fighting. Leaving the ranger as an option to fill out the party. Figured it would come in useful on the Isle of Dread. Not a big damage dealer, but hoping to last in combat through tactics (trip eventually), decent AC, and a good con. Not a high damage guy, but someone who might be able to last in the trenches for some time (a little less as a ranger).

Also thought of a Seacliff Dwarf also from Stormwrack. Seacliff Dwarves get no racial bouns on orcs and goblins, and they get a +2 on Swim checks, plus double his con score for purposes of holding ones breath. Thought that might be kind of useful.

Thought was a Seacliff Dwarf Scout. Wield Longspear so I would have reach. Looking to be a mobile fighter, darting in and out and providing flanking from a distance in some cases and getting the extra damage by moving constantly. Also able to hump a bunch of equipment as a dwarf so he could come jammed to the hilt with equipment. Again, not a front line fighter, but a 2nd rank guy who could swing combats by being tactically efficient. Also able to handle scouting and tracking duties, plus traps and disarm.

Neither race is aquatic, mainly just flavor changes. Seacliff Dwarves don't reside in the mountains, but in the tall, impregnable cliffs that overlook the sea. Though considered to be saltbeards, they still prefer their subterranean homes. Wavecrest Gnomes dwell on small islands and beside hidden lagoons. They love ships, but rarely craft anything larget than barges, preferring to sign aboard bigger ships of the larger folk.

[sblock]For hooks to get into the game here is what I thought might help. The Seacliff Dwarf Scout could be assigned by the clan to help Lavinia Vanderborn, the young noble who has just inherited her family estate and colonial holdings after the tragic death of her parents and who is looking for her brother. Perhaps the clan traded well with the Vanderborn family over the years, and offers the aid of a young scout in the safe return and recovery of her brother. The clan hopes to continue good relations with the family and further secure business interests with the Vanderborns, especially with a new head of the house taking over. My character would be a young adult of the clan, perhaps having met the family on one or two occassions, who took this opportunity to volunteer and aid the clan and make a name for himself.

For the Wavecrest Gnome, I was thinking he was coming to the town of Sasserine seeking a more adventurous life from his quiet island existence. He worked his way across on a trading vessel in exchange for passage to Sasserine (maybe a couple of ranks as sailor) and now seeks to either ship on one of the large vessels for trade or exploration, or perhaps see if gainful employment could be had in the town itself. I picture him more of a rascal than the Dwarf Scout, less duty/honor bound by service, and giving over to his whims a bit more. A new city inhabited by different races and having the advantage of being a port town would mean a constantly changing enviroment that would appeal to this character.

Those are some early thoughts, and could be fleshed out with more background, motivation, personality, and flavor if these concepts interest you.[/sblock]

A little about me. A veteran of the original red box and first edition, missed much of 2nd, got back into the swing for 3rd edition and been playing 3rd and 3.5 ever since. I work out of my home office, so posting regularly wouldn't be a problem. I do some travel for business, but I wouldn't necessarily be out of the loop regarding posting, perhaps just a bit slower and later is all. Not a min maxer, prefer a good background and roleplaying opportunities to always fighting, but I like to be tactical when encounters come along.

Additionally, this would be my first PbP game, so a little patience and hand holding might be required, but I am fast learner and can adjust and do what is required. I am lurker on the boards here and at the Wizards PbP boards so I have an idea of how it all works, just haven't found the right opportunity to try to get into this until now.

Thanks for taking the time to consider these concepts. Let me know if you need anything else.

-neg

Last edited:

Tonks

First Post
I had an idea about doing a quick one shot to help get the nautical juices flowing before Malvoisin starts up Savage Tide. If anyone is interested, here is the link to it Salvage Operation. Nothing fancy I will admit, but thought it might be fun.

Last edited:

JDragon

Explorer
Malvoisin, just wanted to throw something out real quick.

Please do not take my lack of detailed back ground as an indicator of my level of interest. Because I'm very interested.

Its just that back grounds take a lot of work for me, and will be all over developing one ASAP if one of my character concepts makes the cut, I just would rather not spend the time to have it not used since you are only requesting concepts.

Thanks

JDragon

Last edited:

Land Outcast

Explorer
Just saw the Stormcaster PrC in Stormwrack... please, take my submission not as "Battle Sorcerer" but as plain ol' Sorcerer (+Stormcaster).

EDIT: you don't have the book, or do you? :confused:

EDIT2: even if you don't have access to the book, the original char would be dependant upon Cha, Con, Dex (if not also Str), which would be a problem with 28 point buy... so Sorcerer is the way to go.

Last edited:

Malvoisin

First Post
JDragon said:
Malvoisin, just wanted to throw something out real quick.

Please do not take my lack of detailed back ground as an indicator of my level of interest. Because I'm very interested.

Its just that back grounds take a lot of work for me, and will be all over developing one ASAP if one of my character concepts makes the cut, I just would rather not spend the time to have it not used since you are only requesting concepts.

Thanks

JDragon

That's fine, JDragon, I completely understand where you're coming from on that.

Malvoisin

First Post
Land Outcast said:
Just saw the Stormcaster PrC in Stormwrack... please, take my submission not as "Battle Sorcerer" but as plain ol' Sorcerer (+Stormcaster).

EDIT: you don't have the book, or do you? :confused:

EDIT2: even if you don't have access to the book, the original char would be dependant upon Cha, Con, Dex (if not also Str), which would be a problem with 28 point buy... so Sorcerer is the way to go.

Okay, straight sorcerer....so noted, Land.

As for the Stormwrack book, I don't own it, but I have access to a copy through a friend.

And, who knows, if it seems like I might need it frequently for this game, I'll probably just go buy a copy. (Any excuse to buy a new supplement. :) )

Tonks

First Post
Malvoisin said:
Salvage Operation is a good adventure. Good luck, Tonks! :)

DM Spoiler:[sblock]I am sure I will need it. I scanned the NPC pics and map last night. I really do think it could have almost been listed as a Side Quest instead of a main one, but I think it will be a fun run. With a fast enough tempo, it may even be finished by the time they are ready for you to start STAP.[/sblock]

Remove ads