• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Savage Worlds] ¡Los Californios! (OOC)

Thanee

First Post
1. What is the quality of the saloon does Scarlet work in? Ie, is it seedy, exclusive, or the type of place anyone can go into and loose their money?

The latter, I would say. Definitely not the seedy type, and exclusive doesn't really seem to fit either. Besides, she likes to gamble herself, so just a typical saloon, where the normal crowd hangs out.

She is there to cheer them up, make them drink a little more, dance with them, play games, and so on. She also might hang out there in her free time, mostly for playing cards then.

2. In her time as a saloon girl, what was the most incriminating thing that Scarlet has discovered about a patron?

Well, what could that be?

Maybe that a married man is cheating on his wife (maybe he tried to persuade her to just that, too).

3. Something to think about: If Scarlet's boss (or his rival) suddenly became President, how would she react? (I mention this because President Pio Pico *was* the owner of several dramshops/saloons before manipulating his way into power.)

Well, more power to him. She would probably see if there is an opportunity for her to make some money out of it, she is a little greedy after all, but she wouldn't look into stuff like blackmailing or such (she is still a decent person).

Bye
Thanee

Fenris

Adventurer
Ok, here is my stab at a character. i would appreciate anyone checking for mistake or providing suggestions. I am assuming that a tomahawk can be thrown as it is the same stats/size as a throwing axe in the book.

[sblock=Manuel Lightfinger]

Manuel is a free indian down from Ojai. he has come down to Los Angeles to escape the creeping oppressive mission life in Santa Barbara.
ATTRIBUTES: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
SKILLS: Climbing d4, Fighting d8, Knowledge (Spanish) d4, Notice d6, Riding d4, Stealth d6, Survival d6, Throwing d8, Tracking d6
Charisma 0; Pace 6”; Parry 6; Toughness 6
HINDERANCES: Illiterate, Poverty, Heroic
EDGES: Quick Draw, Two Fisted
GEAR: 6 Tomahawks ($18), backpack, blanket, simple clothes, moccasins,

WEAPONS:
Tomahawk d6+str 3/6/12

FATE CHIPS: 3

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Fenris -

You don't need to buy the Gut's skill since I'm using the rule which states that "fear is resisted by spirit." One of the best places to put those two skill paints probably would be riding.

I'll allow your interpretation of the throwing axe/tomahawk stats.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
It's going to be interesting seeing that we have two natives. I'll probably ask HandofMystara similar questions about his character.

Fenris-

1. Being a mission indian, what are Manuel's views one those who follow "the old ways"? How about those who worship the "old gods"?
2. Where would Manuel rather be: In a hut within the wilderness or in a pueblo?
3. Should the land be controlled? If so, by whom?

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Who's "Micheal"? ;)

[MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION]: I also think, that Riding would be a fitting skill for a native american. Some more probably fitting skills to think about... Climbing, Intimidation (useful to have either this or Taunt for those Tests of Will), or Swimming

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
It's going to be interesting seeing that we have two natives. I'll probably ask HandofMystara similar questions about his character.
Indeed it will. I removed Guts and took a d4 in both Climbing as well as riding based on your and Thanee's feedback. Thanks to both of you. Oh should I start with a horse? I could switch out Poverty for Outsider and would then have enough starting funds to afford one.

Fenris-

1. Being a mission indian, what are Manuel's views one those who follow "the old ways"? How about those who worship the "old gods"?
2. Where would Manuel rather be: In a hut within the wilderness or in a pueblo?
3. Should the land be controlled? If so, by whom?

1. I didn't see him as a mission Indian actually. i mean he could be if that works but most mission indians weren't allowed to leave the missions..... Rather I saw him as from a free Indian tribe (maybe the Nojoqui) who were not yet under mission control. Which of course begs the queston of whether there were any non-subjugated indians by 1842 but anyway i can go either way RdM. Either way I would see him going with the old spirits of the land definitely. I see him as a tracker and scout and very in tune with the nature spirits.
2. In a hut definitely.

3. The land is not there to be owned by anyone. The Great Spirit gave the land for Man to use wisely, it cannot be owned.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Indeed it will. I removed Guts and took a d4 in both Climbing as well as riding based on your and Thanee's feedback. Thanks to both of you. Oh should I start with a horse? I could switch out Poverty for Outsider and would then have enough starting funds to afford one.

Yes you can. I agree with Thanee. Outsider would be very fiitting. :)

Which of course begs the queston of whether there were any non-subjugated indians by 1842 but anyway i can go either way RdM.

Plenty.

2. and 3.

1306522813778.gif

HandofMystra

First Post
Relique would you allow a supernatural back story? My Tongva escaped being captured into a mission and was sneaking back into San Gabriel Mission to rescue tribe members (the Missions were basically labor camps). There was much sickness among his people and he had been sneaking into the mission to rescue them about 1800. There was a hunt for him in the mission, he hid in a corner the undercroft behind some loose stones
imgres
and fell into a trance (here is the plot hooky part). He awoke years later after the mission had been secularized and abandoned (in 1834). He has surmised that some magical transformation has happened but is looking for both answers and how to make his way in this new world.

Remove ads