[Savage Worlds] ¡Los Californios! (OOC)

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Just popping in because as you know I'm Argentinian, so I speak spanish. If you want to say "The Californians" you should type "Los Californianos" and not "Los Californios". Otherwise, ignore me. If you have any doubts about spanish , feel free to ask.

[MENTION=51271]Voda Vosa[/MENTION],

You are correct. However, "Los Californios" is the Historical Californian-Spanglish term that only is used to describe "Spanish speaking people born in California before 1848" while "Californianos" refers to anyone born in California regardless of time period.

What should make you face palm even more is that some sources which use the term "Californios" correctly call Mexicans "Mexicanos".

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
[MENTION=51271]Voda Vosa[/MENTION],

You are correct. However, "Los Californios" is the Historical Californian-Spanglish term that only is used to describe "Spanish speaking people born in California before 1848" while "Californianos" refers to anyone born in California regardless of time period.

What should make you face palm even more is that some sources which use the term "Californios" correctly call Mexicans "Mexicanos".

Yeah, SoCal Spanish has it's own grammar. It is a long way from traditional Castillian.

Anyway, I am in! ;) However.....I am leaving for Paris for two weeks tomorrow. So I should say I would like to be included. I will have internet access though. And heck the Explorer's Edition is small :) If I get my character done tonight it won't matter anyway.

HandofMystra

First Post
I would like to be in but I have limited internet until the jury I am on finishes and I get back to work. I should be done by August 12. I run a Deadlands reloaded game, this would be interesting since it is before the big quake. I would like to be shaman or voodooist or martial artist (Ute shaman preference). I am fourth generation (at least) Californianos living in exile (and away from all that smog and those people) on the Right Coast. Please let me in, I would love to roleplay in old California. I love the hills and the sour grass and dry heat and mountains and beaches and flowers in February when it rains.
[MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] I know I jumped out the Sewar Rat game you are in but I hope I can hold a place and be fast, furious and fun when I get back to work.

Thanee

First Post
I have a character in mind already (loosely based on Kate O'Hara, if anyone knows who that is ;)).

She will be a Huckster (or Huckstress?) Saloon/Dance Hall Girl.

Very charismatic and persuasive with a knack for cards.

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Do the people there speak English and Spanish, or do many/most only speak Spanish?

Would communicative skills (Persuasion, Streetwise) be problematic with "just" a d4 in Knowledge (Spanish)?

Here's what I have so far:

[SBLOCK=Scarlet]
scarletg.png

Kate "Scarlet" O'Hara
Kate O'Hara is an attractive 24 year-old redhead with irish-american roots, who recently arrived in the Pueblo de Los Angeles, and is currently working as a saloon girl.
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Gambling d6, Healing d4, Knowledge (Occult) d4, Knowledge (Spanish) d4, Notice d4, Persuasion d4, Riding d4, Shooting d4, Spellcasting d6, Stealth d4, Streetwise d4, Taunt d4
Charisma +4; Grit 2; Pace 6”; Parry 4; Toughness 5
Hindrances: Curious (Major), Greedy (Minor), Heavy Sleeper (Minor)
Edges: Arcane Background (Magic), Whateley Blood, Attractive, True Grit
Powers: Soul Blast (Bolt), Boost/Lower Trait, Texas Twister (Windstorm)
Power Points: 10 (Recharge: 1/three hours)
Fate Chips: 3
Gear: Bedroll, Canteen, Handcuffs, Playing Cards (#10), Gold Watch, Thigh-Band Holster, Clothes (Dress Blouse, Skirt, Fancy Dress (#2), Silk Stockings (#3), Boots, Shoes, Duster, Winter Coat, Stetson), $125
Weapons: Derringer .41 (5/10/20; 2d6; RoF 1; Shots 2; AP 1), Bullets .41 (#50), Rapier (Str+d4; Parry +1), Knife (Str+d4)[/SBLOCK]

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
I am firmly in the " El Cheapo " camp, as well as the " Greenhorn " camp...

But if I can work out a character I may like to play.

[sblock=Rattlesnake]
Geoffrey " the Snake " Gold
An amateur historian and skilled gunfighter, Geoff is of English origin, hailing from the island of Trinidad in the Caribbean. After having migrated to California some years ago, he may or may not have gotten himself in some trouble a few years back when he may or may not have shot and killed the brother of a dangerous outlaw or government official; reports are mixed as to which it was. At his point he is all of 28 years old, and just looking for some more or less honest employment.
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d4, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Knowledge (History) d6, Knowledge (Spanish) d6, Notice d6, Riding d8, Shooting d8, Stealth d4, Swimming d4
Hindrances: Cautious (Minor), Enemy (Major), Wanted (Minor)
Edges: Jack of All Trades, Quick Draw, Steady Hands
Fate Chips: 3
Gear: Horse, Saddle, Saddlebags, Gun Belt, Holster, Boots, Chaps, Duster, Longjohns, Dress Shirt, Trousers, Canteen, Mess Kit, $0.50
Weapons: LeMat Grapeshot Pistol (#50 .40 Main Ammo, 60 Caps), Bowie Knife
[/sblock]

I am unsure of what to do about ammunition for these weapons... The LeMat, according to wikipedia, was a cap and ball weapon, as well as the issue of it appearing to use two distinct kinds of ammunition. Including the Colt, are they all powder and shot, or is the LeMat percussion caps?

Last edited:

HandofMystra

First Post
No puedo "post" hasta Domingo (can't post until Sunday). My Spanish is old and rusty. I want to be an Ute Shaman who has been raised in the Sierra to expel the Mexicans (though he might have trouble knowing the mexicans from other whites)

Thanee

First Post
[MENTION=1231]Kaodi[/MENTION]: Are you sure about those Silk Stockings for your guy? :lol:

And a question to our GM: Do we have $500 (as per Savage Worlds) or $250 (as per Deadlands)?

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads