[Savage Worlds] Secret License Revealed: Savage World of Solomon Kane!

Karl Green

First Post
I am VERY excited by this even though I am not a HUGE fan of Savage Worlds I can pretty easily change it over to something else

mmadsen said:
Agreed. The art works.

Matt Wilson of Privateer Press is a GREAT artist. One BIG selling point of the Iron Kingdom setting to me is the art that he just pumps out (No Quarter mag, etc). He is very good and that cover looks VERY VERY good

BadMojo

First Post
Karl Green said:
I am VERY excited by this even though I am not a HUGE fan of Savage Worlds I can pretty easily change it over to something else

I'm not familiar with Savage Worlds at all. So, it's a rule set? Why don't you like using it?

Karl Green

First Post
BadMojo said:
I'm not familiar with Savage Worlds at all. So, it's a rule set? Why don't you like using it?

Yes it is a rule-set that is supposedly "Fast, Fun and Furious" but I myself did not really find it so. The game is supposed to be gear really heavily towards ‘pulp’, but I have a number of issues with it. The biggest is that luck has a FAR greater importance then anything else in the game. Your skills and attributes were just not that important. Anyway I have played it a number of times, and while I don’t hate it, it wasn’t all that “pulpy” IMO. One of these days I will sit down and hourerule the heck out of it to get what I want ;)

rgard

Adventurer
Karl Green said:
Yes it is a rule-set that is supposedly "Fast, Fun and Furious" but I myself did not really find it so. The game is supposed to be gear really heavily towards ‘pulp’, but I have a number of issues with it. The biggest is that luck has a FAR greater importance then anything else in the game. Your skills and attributes were just not that important. Anyway I have played it a number of times, and while I don’t hate it, it wasn’t all that “pulpy” IMO. One of these days I will sit down and hourerule the heck out of it to get what I want ;)

I guess I just don't get it. MGP does Conan with the OGL.

Let's see...

1. Decipher does LotR with their system. That's dead. Same with Star Trek, but I think that was out before the OGL.
2. Serenity was done with that company's system. Is it dead or on life support?
3. Atlantis, The Second Age done with the Omni System (did that system win an award too?). I'm betting that is dead also.

Now Solomon Kane with a non-OGL, non-D20 mechanic'd system.

I'll get the core book in because I like Solomon Kane...not minding if it doesn't sell, that it will end up on my bookshelf at home.

I'm not advocating 'one system to rule them all and in the darkness bind them', but at the very minimum it would be nice if the publishers who get these licenses, would at least do a OGL conversion or OCL version of the games the produce.

Thanks,
Rich

Karl Green

First Post
rgard said:
I'm not advocating 'one system to rule them all and in the darkness bind them', but at the very minimum it would be nice if the publishers who get these licenses, would at least do a OGL conversion or OCL version of the games the produce.

Thanks,
Rich

Well Savage Worlds has it fans (just go to RPG.net some time ;)) and from what I understand they are doing pretty well. Not WotC well but enough that they have a number of employees and they have a big back log of stuff coming down the pipe... stuff that I am interested in BUT wish it was in a different system also ;)

They are also about ready to release some games based on WizKids stuff - a Rocketship Adventure card game and one based on something to do with the Spanish Main card game.

rgard

Adventurer
Karl Green said:
Well Savage Worlds has it fans (just go to RPG.net some time ;)) and from what I understand they are doing pretty well. Not WotC well but enough that they have a number of employees and they have a big back log of stuff coming down the pipe... stuff that I am interested in BUT wish it was in a different system also ;)

They are also about ready to release some games based on WizKids stuff - a Rocketship Adventure card game and one based on something to do with the Spanish Main card game.

Well, ok, good luck to them. It's a great series of stories and it sounds like they will do a good treatment of the material. That said, I would still like a D20 conversion. It's the only way I'll personally purchase anything beyond the core or players' book.

Thanks,
Rich

Kunimatyu

First Post
I'm excited, but I for one do not want to see the poisonous racism of some of the Soloman Kane stories carried over. That particular aspect of REH's work can die.

Twowolves

Explorer
rgard said:
Well, ok, good luck to them. It's a great series of stories and it sounds like they will do a good treatment of the material. That said, I would still like a D20 conversion. It's the only way I'll personally purchase anything beyond the core or players' book.

Thanks,
Rich

There is a d20 conversion in the back of the Revised Savage Worlds core rulebook. But if you want something that will do all the work for you, you will be disappointed.

rgard

Adventurer
Twowolves said:
There is a d20 conversion in the back of the Revised Savage Worlds core rulebook. But if you want something that will do all the work for you, you will be disappointed.

That'll work, thanks!

Remove ads