• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E SCAG Half-Elf Variant

akr71

Hero
Elves of mixed parentage are .. half-elves :D

If you started from half-elf (drow variant) and swapped Skill Versatility for Drow Magic you wouldn't suffer Sunlight Sensitivity, so it seems fair that you could arrive there from the other direction.

Err, I should have been more clear. I had originally typed that the character has a drow mother and high elf father, but then edited before submitting as she has never stated whether the father is high elf or wood elf. The character doesn't know, so the player hasn't put much thought into it.

So... if a drow and surface elf have children, will they have surface elf characteristics or drow characteristics?

If you meant exactly that, then my apologies...

I would actually be willing to let a player trade out perception for two other skills or proficiencies as long as they didn't pick-up perception from a background or a class. I don't really see many players going for that though.

"Customizing a Background
You might want to tweak some of the features of a
background so it better fits your character or the
campaign setting. To customize a background, you can
replace one feature with any other one, choose any two
skills
, and choose a total of two tool proficiencies or
languages from the sample backgrounds. You can either
use the equipment package from your background or
spend coin on gear as described in chapter 5. (If you
spend coin, you can’t also take the equipment package
suggested for your class.) Finally, choose two personality
traits, one ideal, one bond, and one flaw. If you can’t find a
feature that matches your desired background, work with
your DM to create one." - Player's Basic Rules, p. 36 (also PHB)

For the sake of players not getting unintentionally shafted by the DM, I have to point out that this is the default rule--it isn't even listed as a variant. You can create your own background or freely modify them. A background gives you any two skills. That's what it does. The listed backgrounds are only options.

This is even Adventurer's League legal.

"Select the following additional details to help define
your character, as presented in your allowed rules:
• Name
• Alignment
• Ideals
• Bonds
• Flaws
• Background (select one or create a custom one)
• Faction (optional)" Adventurer's League Players Guide, p. 3

Last edited:

BoldItalic

First Post
Err, I should have been more clear. I had originally typed that the character has a drow mother and high elf father, but then edited before submitting as she has never stated whether the father is high elf or wood elf. The character doesn't know, so the player hasn't put much thought into it.

So... if a drow and surface elf have children, will they have surface elf characteristics or drow characteristics?

If you meant exactly that, then my apologies...
Ah, sorry, I did misunderstand.

Seems to me that Sunlight Sensitivity is a penalty rather than a benefit, so if you drop it, you ought to drop a benefit to balance things out. The obvious candidate is Superior Darkvision. If you start with Drow and drop both of those, you get something that is culturally a Drow (with Drow Magic and Drow Weapons Training) but with eyesight adapted to surface-dwelling.

Also, it avoids deciding whether the missing parent was a High Elf or Wood Elf :)

Krakenspire

First Post
And thus was born sunlight sensitivity option to shut up the fanboys and get rid of all the drow rangers cluttering up the tabletop. I personally play a Drow knife fighting rogue. He just wears a really big hat, all the time. There are those who go for power and those who go for character. As long as I'm not knife fighting at high noon outside I'm usually pretty good. Especially in a dungeon crawl focused campaign.

akr71

Hero
The player created the character as a full Drow and created the surface elf father as a background thing to help explain why she's surface dwelling and non-evil. We're talking about a LN monk in this case. The player asked if wearing a hooded robed would mitigate the sunlight sensitivity. I agreed, but said that if the character was not raised in the Underdark, she should not get Drow weapon training.

I thought about diluting the sunlight sensitivity by only having it kick in during mid day (11-2) or particularly bright sunny days. Then I realized how much work that would cause me... so I'm back to:
Yes to Drow Magic
Yes to Sunlight sensitivity, but a hood or big floppy hat will mitigate the effects
No Drow weapon training

Thanks for everyone's input. I feel better about what the player and I decided now.

"
For the sake of players not getting unintentionally shafted by the DM, I have to point out that this is the default rule--it isn't even listed as a variant. You can create your own background or freely modify them. A background gives you any two skills. That's what it does. The listed backgrounds are only options.

This is even Adventurer's League legal.

"Select the following additional details to help define
your character, as presented in your allowed rules:
• Name
• Alignment
• Ideals
• Bonds
• Flaws
• Background (select one or create a custom one)
• Faction (optional)" Adventurer's League Players Guide, p. 3

Absolutely. My point is that I would let players take 4 skills from their half-elf race (if one of them wasn't Perception - house rul) or they could take 3 if one of them was perception (default).

In fact, I might just give any player who doesn't pick perception as a skill a bonus skill no matter what their background or class are. Every player who customizes their background seems to pick perception as their replacement or just picks a background with perception. Maybe other DMs are not seeing this though.

In fact, I might just give any player who doesn't pick perception as a skill a bonus skill no matter what their background or class are. Every player who customizes their background seems to pick perception as their replacement or just picks a background with perception. Maybe other DMs are not seeing this though.

It seems like just about every PC in my games had taken Perception up until my current campaign. This is a long one where there is a lot of up front character design, backstories, etc. And about half of the party did not take Perception this time around. I think it's because of the additional emphasis on character concepts. For a short game, you're more likely to just take the best or most obviously useful skills.

BoldItalic

First Post
It seems like just about every PC in my games had taken Perception up until my current campaign. This is a long one where there is a lot of up front character design, backstories, etc. And about half of the party did not take Perception this time around. I think it's because of the additional emphasis on character concepts. For a short game, you're more likely to just take the best or most obviously useful skills.

It occurs to me that perhaps different DMs will see different trends, depending on their own unconscious bias for certain adventuring styles. Players will tend to take Perception if they know the DM likes to play "Ambushes and Accidents" whereas if the DM rarely calls for a Perception check, his regular players will sensibly take some other skill.

Remove ads