• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scaling of attacks and defenses.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I am conflicted....

Pro: Every monster attack remains a threat.

Con: No more "Sexy War of War moments", standing up a pile of fifty mook corpses at level 15. Too risky.

I BETTER NOT LOSE MY PILE OF MOOK CORPSES ON MY HIGH LEVEL PCS!

I NEED the "Who can kill more goblins?" game.

Alnag

First Post
There is no need to improve attack bonus. They might improve abilities (once per 10 levels or once per 4 levels or whatever) and thus improve your abilities slightly.

ren1999

First Post
Let's say a fighter gets a +1 to any ability every 5 levels and puts each point toward strength.

For simplicity, let's ignore the magic, and other bonuses because we haven't really been told what those bonuses are yet.

(Page 3 of How to Play)
That's a possible strength score of 19(+4) for a 5th level fighter and a 24(+7) for a 30th level fighter.

So a 30th lvl fighter attacks at 1d20+7 doing 1d8+7 damage and a 5th lvl fighter attacks at 1d20+4 doing 1d8+4 damage.

This also means that every fighter will always spend his ability level-up point on strength to aid his strength based attacks.

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
I like the 1/2 lvl bonus to attacks and damage.

I also scale any monster to be challenging to the party if needed. No monster is a non-threat in my game.

Then what is the point of the bonus? If the bonus were removed, you wouldn't have to scale anything, and the result would be identical.

Remathilis

Legend
I predict a bonus to attack and saves at 1 every 5 levels.

01-05 +0
06-10 +1
11-15 +2
16-20 +3
21-25 +4
26-30 +5

Its not much, but it does create some difference in high level PCs vs. low level ones other than hp.

I think (and hope) that some feats/class abilities will give some bonus but that is it.

At level 20 the fighter will have 145 hps or so and he should have multiple attacks, it is enough for the pile of enemies problem.

BobTheNob

First Post
I like the 1/2 lvl bonus to attacks and damage.

I also scale any monster to be challenging to the party if needed. No monster is a non-threat in my game.

We really need to know how often ability scores increase in order to know if that will impact the bonuses or not.

I liked the way 4e took these sort of approaches too...

Till we played it for a couple of years. Now I don't like them at all. Very happy with the approach 5 e is taking

I liked the way 4e took these sort of approaches too...

Till we played it for a couple of years. Now I don't like them at all. Very happy with the approach 5 e is taking

The problem to me is that the pc have bigger numbers but it don't matter because the monster have bigger numbers to, so to me this bigger numbers are useless.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads