Scotley's and Leif's Constables of the 14th Ward - Side Action Thread A [3.5E D&D] [IC 01]

Leif

Adventurer
This is the place for characters who will be introduced in Scotley's and Leif's Constables of the 14th Ward game. It's also the place to handle a character's business that doesn't involve the whole party, but it will be used VERY SPARINGLY for that purpose. ;)

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Morning in the 14th Ward

Ignatious Ironshirt, the surly Dwarf Magistrate of the 14th Ward of Lauralie Summerhome, is sipping his first cup of tea of the morning as he looks over expense reports submitted by the constabluary of the 14th Ward for the previous month.

"Mmmmmm, Elke? Come in here for a moment please, and bring your note pad," growls Ignatious Ironshirt to his loyal secretary.

"Yes, sir! Coming, Sir," says Elke Weiss, a tall, slender human woman, as she immediately appears in the doorway, pad in hand, a long pencil stuck in the bun of hair at the back of her head. Elke takes a seat on the stool to one side of Ignatious Ironshirt's desk, pulls the pencil from her hair, and prepares to take notes. (To assist in visualizing this scene, think of Mrs. "a-Whiggins" and Mr. Tudball from the old Carol Burnett show, that's not exactly right, but it's probably closer than I'd care to admit.)

"We've got to move forward with that diet regimen for our regular constables. I've just been looking over their expenses, and they are going to eat us out of house and home if we're not careful! It's shameful! And we're going to have to start enforcing our old exercise rule again. I want every member of the regular constabulary to be logged in down at the Cynosure of Martial and Constitutional Fitness for a minimum of two hours every week. Get a note off to my brother Indract and tell him that I'm depending on him to whip these lads into shape."

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Darius Watson, a member of the Alpha Division of the Special Squad of the Constabulary of the 14th Ward, was just outside I. Ironshirt's office, helping himself to a cheese danish and a piping hot cup of coffee, while Ignatious Ironshirt was ranting to Elke. Darius couldn't help but think to himself, "I'm glad I'm not one of the regular constables he's talking about! It's bad enough that we Alphas have to listen to 95% of his griping, but if he started telling us what we could and couldn't eat, and how many push-ups we needed to do, I'd be on my way back to the City of Silvertree with a quickness!"

You see, gentle reader, the city of Lauralie Summerhome is located in a very inacccessible, supremely mountainous border region of the Kingdom of Silvertree, whose capital city is also named Silvertree. In fact, Lauralie Summerhome is really so far removed from the rest of the Kingdom of Silvertree that it is, for all practical purposes, a law unto itself. The vast mountainous region in which it is located is mostly very uncivilized. Lauralie Summerhome is the one shining jewel of urban civilization in the midst of a vast mountainous wilderness that extends for a great distance in most directions. (Except to the west: that is the most direct route to the remainder of Silvertree, after you cross Cul Erythrea, which is the elvish name for Dimshade Lake, the large lake immediately adjacent to Lauralie Summerhome. (No one has yet bothered to investigate the meaning of the elvish name "Cul Erythrea," which is probably for the best, I suppose.)

But this scene with Darius overhearing the minor rant of Ignatious Ironshirt to Elke Weiss is just a historical footnote provided to give some perspective regarding the nature of business that goes on in the 14th Ward. That actually happened long ago, and Darius, along with the rest of the Alpha Division of the Special Squad of Constables, has been away on a mission for some time now (beneath, possibly even outside, the City even, if you can imagine), and it feels like it's already been years and years since they left on their present errand, but I know that this feeling is just time-dilation caused by the anxiety of Ignatious Ironshirt. Yes, for all his gruff, surly, blowhard nature, old Iggy really does have a soft spot in his grizzled heart for his precious Bronze Badges, as he calls his Alphas.

Since this post was originally made, the Alphas have completed the errand that they were on, returned to the city, leveled-up, found yet MORE mischief to investigate, and left Laualie Summerhome to do just that. On an earlier part of this same errand, Constable Ederaul 'Raul' Mameir was slain by an insidious scything blade trap. Luckily, his 'insurance premiums' were all paid up with the Temple of Meda, and so he was entitled to be Raised. Now the Special Squad has gathered in Mattie Bulgar's "Polished Staff" with their newest members, Tau the Illumian and Braz the Dwarf. Soon enough, they'll be headed back out to Harcourt's Mill to finish their work there....

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
UPDATE: I have it on reasonable authority that the potential may exist soon to have a former Constable, one Sertran the Violet, rejoin the Alphas! [Note: Nightbreeze himself has indicated no such fact, but he has indicated that he will have reliable internet service again before too long, so my imagination has run wild with the idea that he might even want to rejoin us!] If this does happen, then the Alphas will go from being 'wizard-poor' to having a veritable glut of arcane might at their disposal. What challenges must the DMs concoct to counteract such prowess? The mind simply boggles......
:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:
:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

Leif

Adventurer
Next up: some arcane research by Tau. Post away, Kerlan!

First of all, when you arrive at the LCA Library, the Librarian, Richard Whitewash, says, "Ah young Dustsprocket!" (Kerlan knows that the librarian gets his name wrong on purpose.) "What brings you here in such a rush?"

Actions, Kerlan?

Last edited:

KerlanRayne

Explorer
With a small sigh of resignation about his name, Tau answers, "I have come across a name in my first excursion as a Constable that I wish to research. The name was Thelugadam and was used by a group of Orcs. It's difficult to tell what kind of figure this name it attached to. It may be tied into their religion somehow or it may be a leader in their group." Tau pauses in consideration. Maybe I should look into the criminal records we have on file at the Constables' Headquarters if I don't find anything here. "Either way, I believe it may help in future cases with this group. Have ytou heard of this name or know who would know about such a topic?"

Leif

Adventurer
The librarian, Professor Whitewash, says, "No, young Duskfall, you did well to come to me. I have heard this name, this Thelugadam." The professor begins thumbing through an index file. "Hmmm, not here, come on, we'll find it!" Richard Whitewash leads Tau further into the bowels of the LCA library, pausing every few minutes to check another file of the extensive catalog of tomes in the library. After about half an hour, he finds what he wants. "Ah, here it is! Thelugadam....outsider....banished......imprisoned.....what?? It says here that he fancies himself a GOD! I would definitely take issue with that!"

OOC: What Tau learns is that Thelugadam was (is) an evil outsider who set himself up to be a god, he thought, trying to attract as many 'worshippers' as possible, mostly orcrats, kobolds, and so forth. The LCA undertook to imprison him several centuries ago, but the records kept by his jailers peters out about 150 years ago. "Most disturbing! I'll have to do some checking to see who was last supposed to monitor this prisoner. Have you actually seen evidence of Thelugadam's presence or doings?"

KerlanRayne

Explorer
"From the writings I found by the orcrats, Thelugadam seems to be regarded with both fear and gratitude for gifts he has bestowed. A personal connection seems to also be implied by the writings. They seem to show communication with him at least, if not personal interaction. A dark sign indeed. I have not, however, found any other evidence other than the writings."

Leif

Adventurer
Prof. Richard Whitewash

"I can assure you that this Thelugadam does exist. He is real. And he is no god, at least not by the usual standards. Mean? Yes. Nasty? Yes. A god? Hardly. So, if you're in a position to meet this fellow, my advice to you is this -- hit him hard, hit him often, hell, hit him with everything you've got! Now, what else can I do for you?"

Remove ads