Scotley's Carrion Crown IC Part 1 The Haunting of Harrowstone

Scotley

Hero
Seeking the sheriff's office you find that your wait is slightly less than an hour. Sheriff Caeller comes in obviously in dark mood. "Now what did you lot want? As you can see I've a lot to deal with today."

Attachments

• Sheriff Benjan Caeller.jpg
    Sheriff Benjan Caeller.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 127

Leif

Adventurer
Besharrn Blacktusk, Half-Orc Ranger 3

"You do have lots deal with. Good idea if you let us deal with some of it for you. We not make trouble, we help sheriff!"

Rhun

First Post
Dannis grabs Falco and pulls him aside before entering the Sheriff's office. "Falco, I have a thought...what if the warden survived the fire, but lost his wife? What if he has joined with Whispering Way in trying to bring Vesorianna back?"

mleibrock

First Post
"Hmmm, that is a good theory Dannis. It could be correct, maybe we need to research if the warden's body was every discovered."

To the Sherriff, "We know you have your hands full and we have no desire to take up your time. We actually want to help you where we can but also want to keep you in the loop as we know many in this town are not keen on our presence here. These vandalisms and now possible murder always occur in the evening. With your permission, we'd like to stake out this area for the next few evenings and see if we can see who or what is doing it."

Diplomacy roll - 1d20+10=23

Scotley

Hero
"I've lost a deputy to that strategy, so I am loath to commit any more of my people, but if you want to try it I won't object. The vandalism and now murder seems to happen after dark. I'm imposing a curfew as of sundown on everyone but my people and you starting tonight." The sheriff looks to be in over his head, his eyes are bloodshot and he seems willing to grasp at any help you offer. The loss of a deputy seems to have shaken his confidence.

mleibrock

First Post
"I understand your frustrations. We may not be well trusted here, Sheriff, but I do believe we can be useful to you. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you need something done that you think we could help with. We want to solve this as much as you do. Did you determine a cause of death for the deputy?"

Falco will wait for an answer and then change topics. "Thank you for permission to stake-out the site... On another subject, do you know if the warden's body was actually discovered or positively identified after the fire? Does he have a grave site?"

Scotley

Hero
The sheriff rubs his face with his hands before answering. "She had her throat slit with something very sharp and she was bled out like a sheep. Bad business."

He looks perplexed when you ask about the warden. "That was a long time ago, I don't see what that has to do with us, but no the Warden's body was never found. His is a story of great heroism. The prisoners in the lower level rioted and we about to get out. The Warden Hawkran and his brave guards triggered an emergency dead fall though it trapped them with the prisoners. They were quickly captured and their was a stand off between the prisoners below and a the guards above over a narrow shaft with a lift. Eventually a fire started below and the smoke killed everyone including some of the people above. The Wardens wife was one of those. The people of the village put out the fire eventually, but it was too late for everyone below and most of the prisoners and some others above as well. A terrible tragedy, but also a testament to the bravery of the Warden and his guards." He sighs, "I guess I never thought one of my people would be called on to make such a sacrifice."

Remove ads