Seeking Input on Eldritch Knight Build

Also means no Haste.

Shillelagh is not a Concentration spell. It lasts 1 minute per casting. You can still use Haste while Shillelagh is in effect.

Not that it matters anymore because Kilgore has decided against MI, but it at least answers the question that was brought up to explain the position.

LightningArrow

First Post
My two cents:

1) Don't go for Magic Initiate. If you intend to cast with a shield and/or never lose concentration, go for War Caster instead.
2) When you get Eldritch Strike, Hold Person will be essential: attack a humanoid on the first turn, then on the second Action Surge to cast it (they save with disadvantage) and perform your regular attacks, which will all crit. Besides, it targets a WIS save, which is good for save diversification.
3) Counterspell is not as good for half-casters as for full ones; they will be using level-7 spells by the time you get it (harder to counter).
4) If you go for Forest Gnome you can increase your DEX and go for it instead of STR, but this might not be your concept.
5) At 7th level, you can trade Exp. Retreat for Blur, which seems better to me.

I've written a guide on EKs, maybe you'll find it useful: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?479648-Bellator-Arcana-The-Eldritch-Knight-Guide

Kilgore Trout

First Post
Appreciate everyone's input, especially the bit about levels in Wizard and the EK guide. I am still toying with my EK build, thinking of either going with a DEX-based gnome or a STR-based Half-Orc.

Here are my thoughts on Half-Orc...open to suggestions!

Also, since this is for AL, I can only go with EE or SCAG, not both, hence the reasoning behind my spell selection.

Still have some spells to figure out. Also couldn't figure how to take the odd numbered stat to my advantage...

Also not sure if I'm taking levels in Wizard but the build below does not have any Wizard levels. If I took any, it would likely be after 11 per another suggestion on this board.

Race - Half-Orc
Class - EK Fighter

S – 17
D – 10
C – 15
I – 14
W – 10
Ch – 8

Defense Fighting Style

Feats

4 – +1 STR / +1 CON or Great Weapon Master
6 – +1 STR / +1 CON or Great Weapon Master
8 – Resilient - Wisdom
12 - +2 INT
14 - +2 STR
16 - +2 CON
19 - +2 INT

EK Cantrips – Not sure, actually, given that I won't be taking anything from SCAG. Open to suggestions.

Spells @:

Level 3 – Shield, Protection from Evil, ????
Level 4 – Absorb Elements
Level 7 – Shatter or Scorching Ray
Level 8 – Hold Person
Level 10 – Darkness or Gust of Wind or Melf’s Acid Arrow
Level 11 – same as above or maybe another Level 1 spell
Level 13 – ????
Level 14 – Haste
Level 16 – ????
Level 19 – Fire Shield
Level 20 - Polymorph

Thank you!

KT

zaratan

First Post

If you'll be str base, I would go for SCAG cantrips instead EE, booming blade and GFB worth way more than any spell in EE when you reach lvl 7.

If you plan to be a ranged EK, go for EE.

Why polymorph at 20? Be a gaint ape is "useless" at lvl 20, and to use agaist someone, you have better spells like banishment.

RCanine

First Post
I'd recommend Fireball at 13th level. It covers one of your weaknesses: AoE. Also, Dispel Magic at 16th.

As for for cantrips, you again want to cover your weaknesses; I'd go for a decent ranged attack with some utility attached like frostbite or ray of frost, and some out-of-combat utility, like Mage Hand. Also, or if you really really feel the need to be completely combat focused, something like Blade Ward is OK on an EK when you can anticipate taking a bunch of damage, because you can still get an attack in.

Kithas

First Post
That looks like a great bulid. Other great spells from Ee; thunderclap
-great source for aoe and after 7 you can even do a normal attacj after.
Melf's minute meteors
-tons of damage great range and aoe and it only costs a bonus action!

Also from the normal list keep Blur in mind. It's a great concentration spell for when you need defense.

LightningArrow

First Post
If you're planning to take Resilient (WIS), you might leave your Wisdom at 9, or 11.

So, cantrips. If you're not going for SCAG it's pretty much an open choice, with at least one ranged cantrip required for versatility. I'd recommend Frostbite: the disadvantage can help you or your friends to get out of tight situations.

Also remember that at level 13 you can start trading your 2nd level spells for 3rd level ones.

Kilgore Trout

First Post
If you're planning to take Resilient (WIS), you might leave your Wisdom at 9, or 11.

So, cantrips. If you're not going for SCAG it's pretty much an open choice, with at least one ranged cantrip required for versatility. I'd recommend Frostbite: the disadvantage can help you or your friends to get out of tight situations.

Also remember that at level 13 you can start trading your 2nd level spells for 3rd level ones.

Some good suggestions on spells from everyone - thank you! When I get the opportunity, I'll re-tool the list and get something else out. I'll probably stick with more defensive spells (hence the desire to stick with Absorb Elements over the SCAG cantrips) than offensive given some of my (albeit limited) experience at the tables. Of course, what always happens with builds, at least in my experience, is that something that sounds great on paper might not always play well, so I can re-tool as needed as more experience is gained.

As far as 9 or 11 in Wisdom, I'm with you (more on the 11 than the 9...) but I couldn't find a way to get the odd number without either taking a hit in DEX or INT or not being able to get to 18/16 STR/CON at Level 4. Open to ideas if there are other suggestions out there for a PB array.

Kilgore Trout

First Post
Regarding cantrips in SCAG, did some math and I can definitely see why everyone is suggesting one of those over Absorb Elements...really gives you the ability to do some significant damage and definitely outclasses extra attacks on their own.

Wonder if anyone has "officially" done the math on this somewhere? I did some things with average damage but I'm no statistician...

Will post my math later.

Remove ads