Seize The One Ring With Cubicle 7's Role-Playing Game

Enter into a world of adventure that you have encountered before in books and movies with The One Ring from Cubicle 7 Entertainment. Based on the words and worlds of J.R.R Tolkien, the game has you adventure between the stories of The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings. Play heroes who explore the world of Middle-earth after the great dragon Smaug has fallen, and before the Fellowship of the Ring must rise up.

Enter into a world of adventure that you have encountered before in books and movies with The One Ring from Cubicle 7 Entertainment. Based on the words and worlds of J.R.R Tolkien, the game has you adventure between the stories of The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings. Play heroes who explore the world of Middle-earth after the great dragon Smaug has fallen, and before the Fellowship of the Ring must rise up.

NEW-TOR-packshot.jpg

... evil and danger had grown and thriven in the Wild, since the dragons had driven men from the lands, and the Goblins had spread in secret after the battle of the Mines of Moria.

Unlike other traditional fantasy games that dabble in the worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien, The One Ring is low magic game (also available in PDF) and instead of character classes your characters are built using a skill based d6 dice pool. A d12 is also rolled which represents the growing power and corruption of the Shadow over Middle-earth. PCs can be corrupted into giving in to their shadow weakness (like greed or rage) through anguish, blighted lands, evil deeds, or taking tainted treasure. The game plays seamlessly through journeys, encounters, and combat. The book is a 332 page full-color hardcover with a starting adventure and example PCs.

There were many paths that led up into those mountains, and many passes over them. But most of the paths were cheats and deceptions and led nowhere or to bad ends…

As you would expect from a game designed around the stories of J.R.R. Tolkien, the journey is an important part of play in The One Ring. A successful journey requires a number of skill tests from all PCs to determine what shape they are in when they arrive. The PCs have a map of the world of Middle-earth that is inspired by the familiar map from Tolkien's novels, while the GM’s map has hexes and varying levels of hazard difficulty overlaid and more detail. Journeys amaze, terrify, and accurately model the novels albeit on a smaller scale. The PCs are not rangers and powerful wizards, so their travels are more local but still dangerous and exciting.

"P’raps ye sits here and chats with it a bitsy, my preciousss. It like riddles, praps it does, does it?"

When the adventurers need to demonstrate their intentions to a wary group of NPCs, they handle it through several skill tests. Every PC is involved and use not just interaction skills but also skills like Song and Riddle. The rules work well and can result in the PCs getting everything they asked for, some of it, or more than they bargained for.

Unfortunately, unknown heroes may meet with kings on their first adventure. In the novels, some heroes are princes or wizards. The PCs are a bit more humble to start. If they could meet only with less powerful leaders and had to work their way up to advisors and finally kings and wizards the game would be improved.

There was a ring and clatter as the company drew their swords.

Combat is dangerous and detailed with ambushes, called shots, and even removing a helm during a battle. A variety of creatures and foes threaten the PCs. However, combat is static with different ranks the PCs stand in and attack from. There is none of the flowing movement from the novels like a cavalry charge or a running battle through the woods. The game does a good job in simulating the worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien, while at the same highlighting how differently role-playing games sometimes have to handle things from the concerns of fiction. You can recreate the experiences of Tolkien's writings, but there will be slight differences.

Play The One Ring if you want to explore Middle-earth or if you want a solid low magic fantasy RPG. The art captures the feel of the world, the maps and adventures are top notch, and Cubicle 7 continues to support the game with quality adventures and rules supplements. If these are qualities that you look for in an RPG, consider this to be a recommendation to get a copy of The One Ring for yourself.

This article was contributed by Charles Dunwoody as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. Please note that Charles is a participant in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to DriveThruRPG. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

DerKastellan

Explorer
This is one of my all time favorite RPGs and I collect everything for it. The art is stunning. And once I got over the bad rules explanation of 1e it actually made a lot of sense. And I think the combat system is a strong mix of just enough realism (glancing blows vs wounding blows) that puts all editions of D&D to shame. And I like D&D, dammit! ;)

DerKastellan

Explorer
Depends.
All the game rules and the basic classes and cultures of Wilderland are in the core book, which is a very nice and updated hardcover in 2nd edition.
If you plan on playing outside this area, the Companion is a good investment, since it contains all supplemental classes from all other published supplements. If you want Rangers of the North or High Elves in your company, this is how you get them all in one go.
If you want to adventure in Wilderland, the setting guide "Heart of the Wild" is heavily recommended. There's an epic and decades-long campaign supplement available called "The Darkening of Mirkwood" if you look for adventure inspiration in this part. Or "Tales of Wilderland" is also a good thing, given it has 8 adventures tied together more loosely.
´
The pattern of setting book ("Heart of the Wild") and adventure module ("Tales of Wilderland") repeats for other published regions:
Eregion (Weathertop eastwards), Angmar, Tharbad - "Rivendell" and "Ruins of the North" - includes expanded treasure and "The Eye of Morder" rules, expands on Undead
Rohan, Dunlands, Fangorn, Isengard - "Horse-lords of Rohan" and "Oaths of the Riddermark" - adds rules for horsemanship and mounted combat, expands on Ents and the doings of Saruman before the Ring War

Other supplements:
"Bree" - everything east of the Shire till Weathertop, detailed account of the Prancing Pony and the surrounding settlements, contains 3 adventures
"Erebor" - Dale, the Lonely Mountain, northern wastes - expands on Dragons and the War of Vengeance (Orcs...)
"Game Master Screen & Laketown" - don't have it
"Journeys & Maps" - maps tailored for the game, boating rules, expands travel hazards selection

What's still missing: Gondor, Mordor, Lothlorien, The Shire

The setting guides are beautiful, just plain gorgeous, and tune into a Middle-Earth that feels a bit less flashy and more earthy than the movies, for example. They also make great reading and source material even without the game! Very meticulous research and strong writing. Each adventure and setting guide also contains information on the timeline where this information makes sense and when adventures ideally fit into the years between The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings.

If you plan on buying in print, many retailers participate in the "bits and mortar" initiative and give you the PDF for free. (Cubicle 7 might do that for you if you show proof of sale, but I did not verify that so better check for yourself, first.) The PDFs for The One Ring are rather pricey (roughly 2/3 of print price, anyway) and buying the books in print gets you a much better deal! Also, merchants participating in the Cubicle 7's pre-order program usually give you the PDF when you pre-order (and pay), so you don't have to wait for the print to come out first. Delay between PDF and print is I guess about three months, looks like they get it on a "slow boat from China." ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

aramis erak

Legend
I love The One Ring. Really works for evoking the right feel.

Best travel system I've run.
Combat mechanics are abstract but coherent enough to visualize.

Plays VERY well. Runs smooth.

Plenty of room for characters to grow, and plenty of room to personalize them at start, while still being relatively quick. (30 min with novices to the system, 10-15 min with old hands.)

The most important rule for true tolkien feel for me is from Rivendell - the rules for songs. Songs in battle, songs for march...

Sure, Rivendell's magic items and new cultures are nice, but the song rules are why I recommend it as the 1st supplement one should buy. The other rules are just really useful.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads