• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Selan- A SE Asian campaign (Critical rebuilding)

xenoflare

First Post
haha i would love to help on a creative project... i'm still thinking if i should do my Masters thesis on something vaguely concerning RPGs, the Internet, and Southeast Asian mythology.

Aikuchi

Transient
I have one of those saffron paper 'letterl's charms in my pocket every year.

Yuppers a new one every year, the charms don't last a lifetime ya know :D

Aikuchi

Transient
Xenoflare has interesting points of course :D

it does bring up something along the lines my oe asking ...
How old do you propose your world history of humanity to be, SoA?

SEA folklore as if may have believed in magic and been reinforced culturally to treat it with respect with varying tales of belief and degree to the spirits.

But when you have actualy entities living, corporeal and otherwise evidenciary of magic, spooks and physical embodiments and known fact, does it deter teachnological society (as we term it it -architecture). Plus varying degrees of religious battles and obstacles may prove inconveient (time and space and resources) to devote to structures as large as Angkor Wat :D

How much of 'living' in the world of spirits (effectively more real that SEA folklores :D as we are treating it), can allow huimanity to 'advance'?

Hmmmmm - ponders ---

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Thanks again Xenoflare!

...Far out! Y'know...I never expected this much interest! I honestly thought I'd get a few links and this thread would die....

I like being wrong :cool:

I agree that is an important point Aikuchi... and honestly I don't have an answer yet. How long have the Selanese people been serving the Garuda faithfully for their protection against the Naga? Is it realistic for this to have been happening for several centuries... or a few millenia? If it's been so long, why so little influence from the outside?

Being "stuck" in tradition... I can easily see the population being stuck with little hope. Just doing their part...and not changing. Dangerous? Yes. Good thing there are PCs around... ;)

I've alluded to the growing influence of the "West" in my notes. There would be some effect from these traders.
And the Sea Traders...they are from "Somewhere Else".

Indeed, the more I think about it... the more this place seems cut off from the world. Is it just isolated by tradition, and difference to others? Or is there something else at work... perhaps slowly the lands o the Delta are being drawn into the spirit realm. If not, the Garuda are content with their "Garden" of believers.

Sounds vaguely sinister, doesn't it?

This is sounding more and more like Final Fantasy X! Oh dear.... :p

On the subject of building... I hadn't considered that. It's certainly something to ponder. I think that some leaders would certainly be egotistical enough to want their own monuments.

At least some of the architecture is ancient... perhaps all of the truly magnificent architecture is from the era of the Old Naga.... however long ago that is. The newer stuff is in a different style, but perhaps mimicking the old? hmmm...

I don't necessarily object to long campaign histories, but I do object to long campaign hitories where little changes to the culture, and level of technology without good reason. I'm thinking it's a (fairly) short history, at least for the native people of Selan and Husan.

This is one reason I find DM very interesting...explaining all these things in a way that isn't "oh, it's just magic". :)

It seems like the world is certianly old... but the people created from the Naga's blood.. they are relatively new. This requires a lot of thought! :\

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Don't plan to... :p

But it is worth considering.... occasionaly my brain goes into overdrive like that...

The idea of society stagnating because of magical conditions... it's been brought up before. It's actually interesting to consider... and write it into a setting. Eberron's interesting for that reason.

It also gives an interesting idea regarding both races of spirit creature.... neither of which have motives that can be guaged by humankind.

Aikuchi

Transient
Some of the fleshed concepts however roughed where ... well had I believe some hard sketches and visuals which in thought- gave more into the deeper concepts htat later developed :D

Do you use any? Either for you races, architecture or setting, like massive pictures of jungles to get you into the ambience of it all, or pictures of shamans inthe forest communing :p

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Ah! Silly me... :heh:

The thing that started this whole idea was a conversation I had with a girl from Nepal on a bus (I was going home after university). She'd come to Australia after travelling through the Lao PDR, Cambodia, and Indonesia. She showed me a few travel snaps of some old buildings, and the jungles.
I'd been wanting to start a new game, but couldn't think of something "original". Those photos were a catalyst, I guess. I often have inspiration after having meditated as well.
My landlord has a lot of books printed in the 1990s about mythology... it's good for inspiration, too.

A beautiful image of an old and sacred place seems to have the power to influence me... interesting. :) People are very strongly visually inclined, it seems.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads