[Serenity RPG] Across the 'Verse: Old Friends

Maerdwyn

First Post
Derek, outside Second Life Ships and Scrap

This time they'd made Derek sit for a credit check before they let him inspect her. That had gone predictably; afterwards, the manager had refused to even discuss price with him, and sent him off. His luck and his finances had gone south ever since the day he'd lost her years ago, and unless he got her back, he knew things would never get better. And so he'd chased her, planet to planet moon to moon, untill he'd heard that ta mah hun dan* Duncan was walkin' into an open warrant on Greenleaf. He'd gotten here, where he knew they bring her after Duncan got nicked, a couple weeks later, and he'd been afraid she have ben bought up. But she was still there, waiting for him, and he'd taken it, at the time, as an omen. This was his chance to get her back, and to turn things around.

Now though, he wasn't so sure. He knew when he'd arrived that small sum he'd come to Liann Xin with wasn't going to be enough to buy her back, so he invested some in a can't lose venture that lost, and in desparation, had picked up mah johng. He'd done well for a while, but a single hand last night had returned him to his natural state - broke. He still held out hope, but it was fading. He'd thought he had another week before the bastards scrapped her - then, after Derek's credit check, "Lou" said he could only hold onto her for another three.

He needed an investor -- or more than one. 'Course without a price, he didn't even know how much he needed. He just had to get as much as he could while avoiding the kind of vulture that had cost him the ship in the first place.

Three days. Three days to find the money to get her back. Or maybe, the thought crossed his mind, if only for a moment, the people to steal her for him. But where to start?

[Sblock=OOC]*Mother-humping son of a b_____"[/sblock]

Castor, Tai-Po Market, near Ihilani Gardens

Girl must've seen his name on the register after Lucky Strike'd been impounded on Greenleaf weeks ago. Castor was pretty sure the girl knew his name, that he'd once been famous, and likely nothing else about him. Still, this one one of the more interesting exchanges he'd had since coming here. Six weeks was a long time on Liann Xin: he was bored and running out of time all at once.

Odd how Lucky had ended up there in the first place. Her thrusters had never given him trouble before, and there was no reason they should have when the captain had given the order to take off before the patrol reached the dock. In the end, Castor had to admit she'd never seemed to like the captain, and it was if she'd just decided to get rid of him. He just wasn't sure ending up in a scrap yard on a barely terraformed moon had been part of her plan.

Now, Castor realized, six weeks without a buyer was close to a death sentence for his old friend. She had seen better days, but she could still fly, and damn well, and he knew the ship that had been his home for two years didn't deserve to be turned into glorified aluminium siding for some rich settler. Lou, the guy in charge down at Second Life, could theoretically make more selling her intact than as scrap, but just barely, and only if there was a buyer.

And, as far as he knew, there wasn't one. One of the "mechanics" (hacks? butchers?) at Second Life had told Castor that someone had been making inquiries-- day after day in fact -- but so far the guy hadn't produced any credits. Wildstar, or somesuch, was his name. Claimed to be a former owner.

Lost in thought, he only realized the girl was still there when she said, in the upsweeping tones of a late-teenage girl, "So, Mr. McMenomy, will you come sing at the ball? The Ihilani's really decked out." Castor could almost hear her fluster. "Oh, ah, well, you trust me on that, right? And anyway practically everyone in Concord who's anybody is gonna be there. My boss'll be really impressed if I get a celebrity to play the ball, even if you are from back in the Oughties*." The last is said guilelessly, really believing she was flattering him.

[Sblock=ooc]*Local slang for the decade between 2500 and 2510, during which Time around Scars was released. Current year = 2515[/sblock]

Lucius, Golden Phoenix Restaurant, Tai-Po Market.

Still looking for passage, and nothing seemed right. He'd gone as far as putting a deposit down on a berth in a Caravel class transport headed for Bellerophon until booking agent's enormous black cat had decided to perch itself on the back of the girl's chair just as she produced the contract. She hadn't understood why he had backed out, but the signs had been clear enough to him. Then he'd seen the captain of another ship he'd been considering talking to one of the Concordian prefects, which had been enough to warn him off keeping his appointment to speak with him.

Now he sat at table in an open air restaurant in Tai-Po, its Titanium shielding retracted now that the latest storm had blown out. The glass holding his sweet boba tea sweated in the sunlight, as a long and iridescant dragonfly alighted on its rim. He marveled at the creature's beauty, contemplated its ability to ride out the storm and pick up life just as it had been before once it blew over. The insect took off, and Lucious watched as its wings glint in the sun as it flitted across the street towards the garish Ihilani hotel. He watched it, transfixed, until it landed again on the shoulder of a man talking with a younger woman on the sidewalk. The man looked like he was staring off while the girl talked, but the Lucious realized it was because he was blind - the he caught himself, and realized theman simply hadn't been paying much attention to her. Still, somehow, even at this distance, he saw the dragonfly sittingon the man's shoulder, and Lucious thought it was looking back at him. It meant something, Lucious was sure.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Castor

Castor listens to the lady's pitch carefully, but he knows he is going to accept before she's barely started. It's been a long six weeks, and the distractions on this rock have been few. He's cautious, and hasn't been spending big, but this is a way to get a little comfort, and maybe to find a way offworld.

"That's a real sweet offer, and I'd like to work something out. The truth is, though, that I haven't sung for real in a long time now. I can give you a song or two..." he pauses for a moment, squeezes the bridge of his nose, "... if that'd work for you."

Then he turns his head, pointing his face at her, though he knows she doesn't see. A dragonfly that had settled on his shoulder is momentarily disturbed, and he hears the clacking of its wings as it lifts itself aloft before settling on him again.

"Do you want to take me to the venue sometime? I'm pretty much free now, if you like, or perhaps later tonight?" He puts out his hand, palm up, for her to take if they are moving now.

ethandrew

First Post
Seeing the blind man about to be lead away, dragonfly in tow, Lucius quickly bumbled his way out of his seat, before stopping his body in motion, placing a few coin down to cover the cost of the tea. As he was leaving the Golden Phoenix, he made sure his scarf was securely around his neck and lower face, covering his nose and mouth. One could never be too sure with all these dust storms, at least that's how he'd respond when some shee-niou* idiot bothers him about it.

Lucius hurries over to the blind man as soon as he can without looking the fool or really being noticed, so he had hoped.

"Need a hand, old man?" He winced instinctively, not quite sure this guy was even older than he, even as his hand reached out to take the outstretched one of the blind, ignoring the girl but with a quick smile.

[sblock=*OOC]Shee-niou translates to Cow Sucking.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Maerdwyn

First Post
The girl squeals in delight, says to Castor, a mile a minute: "That's fanTAStic! I'm Melanie, so ask for me when you come tonight, about 4:30 if you want to check the sound. Oh you could come earlier if you wanted to meet the band - or do you have one? Anyway, the Ihilani is right here; yer out in front of it now - there's kind of a rainbow theme, y'know after the storm and all. Oh, Mr. B is goon a be so -" Her voice is cut off by a her sharp intake of breath.

As she was speaking, Lucius had arrived. The girl's involuntary reaction of alarm came as soon as Lucius pulled down his face wrap to smile and speak, revealing his scars. She recovers her composure, mostly, but her eys keep drifting back to Lucius's cheek and Castor can tell she is distracted as she says, "Um, so that's kind of about it; we'll see you tonight, right? You've got my name, so we'll see you when you get there, okay. Um, bye!" She finishes brightly. She nods to Lucious politely and turns to go.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Castor doesn't turn to the newcomer. He continues to face the young woman.

In a steady, certain tone, he says, "I'll be sure to ask for you, Melanie." And he smiles at her, until he hears her exhale, and then lets her walk away. Once she does so, he raises his voice, addressing the man at his shoulder without turning his head.

"Look like I need one now." He's not angry as he says it, but he's certainly not holding his hand out any more.

He holds his breath for a second. He's made a decision.

"Offering help can get you into trouble, you know. Never know who you end up with. An 'old man' like me might not be what he appears." He pauses, then continues. "My name's Castor. I've got a room nearby, but it's only got my duffel inside it. If you have the time, I'll need to pick it up. I can get it once I finish my tea here, and then I'm heading to Ihilani Gardens. I know it's not far but the company will be welcome."

He falls silent, sips at his tea. Lets the man talk.

ethandrew

First Post
Lucius blushes, silently grateful the man can't see, "Sorry about the old man, thing, just the, well, yeah sorry." He purses his lips, causing his scarred cheek to stretch taut. He didn't really react much anymore when people gawked at him, but given the circumstances, somewhat regretted letting that Melanie girl see it, who knows what word might get out.

"Normally you're right about the trouble, and I would've spared you one glance and been on my merry, but something told me we'd cross paths and need each other at some point in time. And I'm not a man to ignore the signs." He starts to pace before realizing there's a destination in mind and he knows naught of where it is.

"The name's Lucius," the man announces, "and it's a pleasure to meet you. What building's your room in and I'll lead the way."

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
When Castor finishes his tea, he leaves some change on the table to pay, using his thumb to determine the currency left leaves a reasonable gratuity for the unwashed man who brought it to him. The action disturbs the dragonfly, which he hears fly away.

Castor licks his teeth, and then stands. In his hand is a folded walking stick, but he's pretty sure he doesn't need it, as he remembers the route to his room well, having taken it twice a day since he arrived on this rock.

Castor's memory is good, and he likes to show off this way. but he does keep the stick ready in case of any unexpected obstacles.

"It's this way, Lucius. Follow me."

He stands up, and begins to walk. When he gets to the hostel, he settles his bill and pays for the coming night too, but asks for someone to fetch his bag, which he leaves packed on the bed every morning as he goes out.

Always ready for a contract, if one should come his way. "I was jus' expectin' it to be a job offworld," he comments to Lucius.

His duffel is fetched, a beige bag filled with clothes and a few personal items. The canvas matches the satchel he always carries with him, which has his handcomp, notebook, and a few small tools.

"Thanks fer your help," Castor says to the man behind the reception desk.

"Now," he says to Lucius. "I'd like to see if we can fid that Melanie again. Lead me to Ihilani Gardens?"

Castor reaches into his satchell, and pulls out an apple; takes a bite.

Maerdwyn

First Post
Castor and Lucius head back to the Ihilani, and Lucius can't help but be a little taken in by it's grand archaic architecture, the almost-tasteful faux palms in it s courtyard, and the pools of salt water through which small hammerheads, rays, and all manner of brightly color fish glide for the delight of patrons.

A comely hostess approaches and asks in lilting tones if they are checking in.

There was Derek again, a few blocks down the street, lookin' forlorn, and maybe a little nervous. Aaron had seen him briefly a few days ago, so knew he was on the moon, looking for his ship. But he just hadn't expected to see another familiar face in this tiny place -especially not that pretty one. The mud and wind here tried their best to dampen her looks, but they only succeeded in reminding him of another rainy night years ago on Eavestown Docks of Persephone. After reminiscing a moment, he looks up and Tatjana has seen him too.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
A comely hostess approaches and asks in lilting tones if they are checking in.

Castor drops his duffel on the marble floor, and smiles as the weight is removed from his shoulder. He then steps away from it, conscious that in a lobby this size (he hears the echoes of his own footsteps, and those of others) there will be people who will take it for him if it has to be moved.

He takes a few steps towards the salt mist that he smells, when he turns to the hostess.

He holds out his hand towards where he thinks she is.

"I can't speak for this gentleman, Mizz, but I'm meeting Melanie here in an hour or so. She will have arranged for something for me, I do believe."

He smiles a big toothy grin. "I'm the evening's entertainment!"

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Tatjana

“Aaron?”

Tatjana heads towards the man, a smile flashing on her pretty face.

“Now that's a coincidence. Galaxy's a small place, as they say. What have you been up to? Must have been a few years...”

Remove ads