{Settings Tournament} Round 5 - Finals! Greyhawk vs. Planescape

Which do you prefer?

• Poll closed .

athos

First Post
It always surprises me when people that started gaming in the 90's or later call Greyhawk a generic world. I guess that is because they weren't around in the late 70's and early 80's when it was THE world of AD&D, which was THE game. Granted, it has been imitated and copied to death over the years, making people who weren't around for the original run believe that it isn't anything special. I am old enough to remember the double digit dragon magazines where the world of Greyhawk got an article each month going into more detail, they were great. I was also thrilled when 3rd edition and Living Greyhawk gave new life to the world. How many settings are good enough to make a comeback after 20+ years?

Sigh... miss my Living Greyhawk and miss the shiny new feel I had for the world 30+ years ago. Guess I am just old now :)

Shemeska

Adventurer
I encountered Planescape pretty early in my exposure to D&D (Planescape: Torment, and a friend running us through 'Squaring the Circle' from the 'Hellbound: The Blood War' box set), and it remains one of my favorite settings, and easily my largest inspiration when it comes to gaming and game design.

It's also responsible for getting me into writing and then into freelancing in this crazy industry.

Now vote for Planescape or I start posting in-character. shemmywink.gif

Vote! The Chibi Lady of Pain commands it!

ChibiLoP.JPG

(I did not create the LoP chibi. I don't actually recall who did sadly. Someone on the WotC forums circa 2003, if you know, gimme the dark of it)

Quickleaf

Legend
I don't know...I just don't know...

On one hand Greyhawk is iconic to D&D, has a great middle fantasy political feel, and has some gonzo-ness.
OTOH, Greyhawk is more of a traditional D&D setting which seems to be what FR is going for with D&D Next. OTOOH why not have two flavors of traditional D&D? Greyhawk is awesome.

On one hand, Planescape provides a flavorful way to connect worlds, has a great jaded otherworldliness feel, and has gonzo up the wazoo. OTOH the jargon and strangeness can be alienating. OTOOH there is nothing quite like Planescape out there. Planescape is awesome, berk.

I'm going to vote Planescape since its losing as of this moment...however if WotC were to produce an actual setting book I think it should be Greyhawk, since Planescape can always be subsumed by the Manual of the Planes.

GSHamster

Adventurer
I think it's fitting that these are the last two settings. They are both excellent settings, and excellent in different ways.

Greyhawk is the most iconic and solid setting of D&D. Planescape is the wildest and most imaginative setting.

Greyhawk is like an excellent steak, while Planescape is an outrageous dessert (probably some sort of flambe).

I voted Planescape, but I won't be unhappy if Greyhawk wins.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Planescape promoted a clique of players that did their best to drive away people from D&D.

Definitely Greyhawk - there's are reasons I've set my campaigns for the past twenty years there.

Cheers!

Mercurius

Legend
Planescape promoted a clique of players that did their best to drive away people from D&D.

Woah. There's a story there that I'm not aware of but would be interested in hearing more of.

As for me, I couldn't decide at first because I don't love either setting, but ended up voting for Greyhawk for two reasons: One, it felt like classic D&D with all of itstropes and iconic modules and flat-out nostalgia vs. TSR's answer to the World of Darkness. While I really like certain aspects of Planescape, a few of its qualities - the slang (e.g. "berk") and the pseudo-WoD stuff - are a bit off-putting to me.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Woah. There's a story there that I'm not aware of but would be interested in hearing more of.

While I really like certain aspects of Planescape, a few of its qualities - the slang (e.g. "berk") and the pseudo-WoD stuff - are a bit off-putting to me.

The slang is a large part of it. It made a clique: those who were versed in Planescape, and those that weren't. When I see someone calling someone else a berk, I find it extremely insulting.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I gotta go with Planescape here. Greyhawk to me always felt too....something...contrived maybe? Silly in all the wrong ways, for me. Everything about Planescape oozed cool (for those days, anyway), and I still like the art. Silly in all the right ways, for me.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
The slang is a large part of it. It made a clique: those who were versed in Planescape, and those that weren't. When I see someone calling someone else a berk, I find it extremely insulting.
I don't want to come off like I'm belittling your feelings, but I never ever had you pegged for someone who would take that kind of thing seriously. It must have been a very real problem within certain market segments for you to react this strongly.

Remove ads