{Settings Tournament} Round 5 - Finals! Greyhawk vs. Planescape

Which do you prefer?

• Poll closed .

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
In the "day" I found planescape, or at least its marketing, to be nothing but annoying.

Years latter, I have a player who is a big fan, again from the day. His tiefling rogue is a cager (see, I have started doing it) I mean from Sigil. And now the party has just arrived in Sigil. Having studied up, I now get it. Lots of adventure opportunities, to say the least, with a very distinct vibe.

But it is true, berk is an insult. (Basher or cutter is OK, and clueless can actually be appropriate, depending).

And I still voted for Greyhawk.

Imaro

Legend
I like both Greyhawk and Planescape (and it would be great if they were both given setting books, or lines with D&D Next), but ultimately I voted for PS. I just feel PS is the one setting that feels truly unique to D&D, it's a setting I don't feel can be summed up by saying "D&D's take on..." or "faux medieval european fantasy +" I like GH but at the end of the day it is a faux medieval europe fantasy setting... + ... a little more sword and sorcery in the mix vs. high fantasy (which seems to be FR's niche).

IMO, Planescape is nearly boundless in the types of adventures it can support, default dungeon delving in alien ruins on strange vistas, exploration of the higher and lower planes as an agent of a god or demon, political maneuverings as a representative of one of the numerous organizations in Sigil, or even the ideological battles to shape the multiverse on alternate prime material planes... On top of that it is the one of the few settings where it feels right that a party with a racial make up like mos eisley's cantina walks around and doesn't get a second look. Even the cant, for an American like myself made the setting feel slightly exotic, alien and cool. All IMO, of course.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
It's no surprise that Planescape will win.

THE PROPHECY HAS BEEN FULF- wait, what?

How about this, my friend: if you vote for Greyhawk, I'll offer your character the Hand of Vecna should one of your character ever stumble onto this world! :devil:

Vecna? Oh, yeah, that guy. He came to Sigil once. We beat him.

Vote! The Chibi Lady of Pain commands it!

View attachment 59962

That's not a chibi-Lady of Pain -- that's a Jhonen Vasquez-style Lady of Pain! Planar's blood marches through my veins like giant RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!

The slang is a large part of it. It made a clique: those who were versed in Planescape, and those that weren't. When I see someone calling someone else a berk, I find it extremely insulting.

Given what it actually means I can't believe they published it in the Commonwealth.

That said, there's a lot more to versing yourself in Planescape than memorizing the page on cant. That's like saying someone is versed in Greyhawk because they memorized the weather pattern tables.

That's right, I went there; your setting is boring. :p

Brock Landers

Banned
Banned
Interesting that the final two are the closest as settings, Greyhawk lore is a foundation of Planescape.

I voted Planescape (having an ongoing campaign of 8 years set in it has nothing to do with it!).

Last edited:

Brock Landers

Banned
Banned
THE PROPHECY HAS BEEN FULF- wait, what?

Vecna? Oh, yeah, that guy. He came to Sigil once. We beat him.

That's not a chibi-Lady of Pain -- that's a Jhonen Vasquez-style Lady of Pain! Planar's blood marches through my veins like giant RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!

Given what it actually means I can't believe they published it in the Commonwealth.

That said, there's a lot more to versing yourself in Planescape than memorizing the page on cant. That's like saying someone is versed in Greyhawk because they memorized the weather pattern tables.

That's right, I went there; your setting is boring. :p

As an English person The Cant was just a lot of slang my mum uses: barmy, berk, potty, etc.

Planescape is not The Cant for me, at all.

Remove ads