D&D General Severus snape

GoblinOrc

First Post
Hey

I was looking at playing a character similar to Snape from Harry Potter and was wondering which school of magic fits closest to his skills?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Interesting question.

So we know he's strong on potions, and defense against the dark arts.

Artificer alchemist subclass comes to mind.

For a wizard though, I'd say abjuration if you want to emphasize the defense school of magic, or transmutation to emphasize the potions aspect.

Stormonu

Legend
Potter magic doesn't quite fit D&D's schema, I would say the Transmutation subclass, with a dash of Abjuration and Evocation.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
This channel is always good for such questions:

EDIT: This uses the Eberron UA, so you will probably want to replace being an artificer wizard, which doesn't exist outside of the UA, with being an alchemist artificer instead, which does.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Potter magic doesn't quite fit D&D's schema, I would say the Transmutation subclass, with a dash of Abjuration and Evocation.
I think that's the way I'd go as well. The transmutation ability at, I think, 2nd level is right up Snape's ally. And then you can choose some abjuration spells like Shield and Absorb Elements, and some Evocation spells like magic missile and fireball.

My first 5e game, which was during the 5e playtest in 2013 or 2012 I believe, was a magic school. It worked pretty well.

Remove ads