Shackled City - Life's Bazaar [FULL]

Watermark12

First Post
Mimic said:
Yikes, thats one hefty drawback, although it would fit the character I think I am going to pass. I don't think we need two people in the party that refuse to use magic items.

I agree, and would have disallowed it for that very reason, anyway. :)

Watermark12

First Post
Cauldron

I wanted to offer up some information about Cauldron, the city where the adventure will take place.

First, here is a link to an overhead map of the city, so you can get a visual.

http://paizo.com/image/dungeon/97/Cauldron72dpi.jpg

We are under the assumption that the each character has recently arrived in Cauldron. This could be within a few weeks time (as in Toskar's case - he has found gainful employment within the city), or it could be as little as a few hours. Please establish this for your character within your written background on the Rogue's Gallery thread, if you haven't done so already. Regardless, the following is a brief survey that is easily known to anyone who has had even a cursory tour of the city.

Cauldron's buildings, tightly packed and built from volcanic rock and wood, line the inner bowl of a nameless, dormant volcano. Cobblestone roads form concentric circles around a small lake of cold water, which fills the volcano's basin. Although the town's sewage seeps into the lake, local clerics routinely purify the water for the citizens in exchange for charitable donations to their temples. A 50-foot-tall wall of black malachite encircles the city, tracing the outer rim of the volcano. Four roads descend the outer walls of the volcano, becoming major thoroughfares that lead to other towns and distant realms. The districts nearer the rim of the city tend to be occupied by upper clas families and elite merchants. The closer one gets to the center of town (and the closer to the pungent odors of the central lake), the shoddier the construction and the more dangerous the dark alleys. Most people get around Cauldron on foot, although the town has its share of wagons and carriages, most of them owned by merchants and nobles.

Two-Gun Kid

First Post
Schweet.....

I wrote up all of Toskar's history, as well as some other family ideas if you think you could use them, today at work. I am about to get some dinner, then will type it all up for the RG.

How close to the alley is the Tipped Tankard? As 90% of the time once the sun begins to set, Toskar starts to work...

Watermark12

First Post
Two-Gun Kid said:
How close to the alley is the Tipped Tankard? As 90% of the time once the sun begins to set, Toskar starts to work...

It's actually pretty near. This encounter takes place in 'lower' Cauldron (down near the lake), and as it so happens, The Tipped Tankard is also down there, so it makes good sense for Toskar to be out on the streets.

Oh, and it only seems right for a bouncer at a local tavern to have overheard a few things right?

Rumors:

[sblock]The main thing that everyone is talking about is a series of recent disappearances in the city. Apparently, people are just up and vanishing from their homes, with no signs of struggle, forced entry, etc. The town guard has so far had no luck in solving the mystery of these disappearances, and people are getting a little anxious (especially since the most recent disappearances involved some children from a local orphanage). In fact, Toskar knows of a couple former regulars of the Tankard, Gryffon Malek and Krylscar Endercott, who used to meet for drinks after hours. Sometimes they'd stay and drink until the wee hours of the morning, but now they've both disappeared.

Some other things overheard....

"Coryston Pike, one of the kidnapped victims, feared for her life days before she vanished."

"One of the stolen orphans is the offspring of Dwern and Imogen Stormshield, two adventurers who perished a few years back."

"Evil cultisits are kidnapping people and sacrifiing them to an evil god who has two heads and tentacles for arms."

"Someone in Cauldron trades in strange currency: coins stamped with a jester instead of the sovereign. The authorities are trying to find the source."

"Jeneer Everdawn, one of the missing townsfolk, did volunteer work at the local orphanage. Coincidence? I don't think so!"[/sblock]

Have fun!

Last edited:

Two-Gun Kid

First Post
Thanks for the info...my internet was down yesterday, but am back in the saddle now..:)

Will get a post out ASAP and will keep the rumors at hand...

Watermark12

First Post
Two-Gun Kid:

Some other points about Toskar's char. sheet:

1. Need to know Alignment, Height, Weight, Eye Color, Hair Color, Age.

2. Shouldn't the damage from his throwing axe be 1d6+3 (for STR bonus)?

3. He should know one language in addition to Common and Dwarf (due to INT bonus).

**Just as an FYI, Profession isn't technically a class skill for Fighters, but I let Toskar's Bouncer Profession slide through as one...just because it fits his b/g so well.

Let me know how you want to handle the above points.

As an aside to everyone else, I apologize that it is taking me so long to formally approve the character sheets, but I just haven't been able to get to it. Next week, I'm on vacation from work, so I promise I will go through all the sheets carefully. If I have questions or comments, I'll post them here.

Watermark12

First Post
Toskar's Sheet

Just one final point about Toskar's sheet, and then we can close the book on him and move on to the next PC.

I figured his remaining money as 34 gp, 9 sp.

Two-Gun Kid

First Post
I thought profession was a class skill for everyone, as it doesn't make sense that they would cut out profession from the class that it seems the most suited for...*L*

Thanks for letting it slide through.

I will update my char sheet, as well as history and appearance tonight if all goes well.

As far as the coinage goes, I am only going to give him a portion of what is left. With that much gold on hand, he could afford to not work for awhile and still pay for room and board. With the concept I have, he needs the job and the benefit of the discounted lodging cost.

Hope you don't mind me slapping him with so many penalties, but it does make him alot of fun to write.

Speaking of which, time to head to the game thread...:)

Watermark12

First Post
Two-Gun Kid said:
As far as the coinage goes, I am only going to give him a portion of what is left. With that much gold on hand, he could afford to not work for awhile and still pay for room and board. With the concept I have, he needs the job and the benefit of the discounted lodging cost.

Hope you don't mind me slapping him with so many penalties, but it does make him alot of fun to write.

Speaking of which, time to head to the game thread...:)

No problem at all, just let me know how much money you want Toskar to have.

Have fun, that's what it's all about! :)

Remove ads