Shadowrun: For Us It Was a Tuesday [OOC]

galenbd

First Post
Shayuri, I'm with you. I'm not all that interested in technomancers. I prefer straight hackers, but the split if the same hacker or mage.

I concur with your assessment that a physical adept would be the easiest to play.

You want to play the technomancer and I play the mage?

Speaking of which O' GM, how are you handling applications? How does this site handle applications for games?

Shayuri

First Post
I think he means how does he apply for a spot in the game. :)

Okay, I have an idea for a technomancer that I am enjoying thoroughly. Deuce, are we using the standard runner starting specs here?

Unsung

First Post
Some sites are more rigorous about what you need to do to join a game, because of the sheer volume of applicants.

@galenbd It seems pretty casual on most of the threads I've seen here on ENWorld. I think you're already accepted. I'm not sure what the regular limits are on brand new characters in Shadowrun or how they'd differ for this game, but I suppose you could plunge right in and start building a character?

Decker's what I'd want to play, given the nature of the setting, but given this is baby's first run in the shadows, maybe I should ease into it? Street samurai can be ranged-focused rather than melee, right?

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Alright, I'll run this game.

I can take any number of players, but I would advise all applicants try to diversify in order to cover various skill sets. Street samurai can indeed be either melee-oriented or range-oriented or a hybrid of both. We will only need one decker.

We will use standard shadowrunner starting specs, but damn if I remember what those are. That's why I'll need time to put something together. Part of that time will be trying to reacquaint myself with the rules for running a game. I'm usually a Shadowrun player and I'm also running three other games. Once I get everything set-up we should be good to go, but my setting up will take longer than normal.

Shayuri

First Post
No worries. I have the 5th Edition player's book so I can perhaps help folks with their characters and take some pressure off of you.

Unseen, a technomancer steals a lot of a decker's goodies (or vice versa depending on how you look at it). A good decker is better at hacking than a technomancer, but they also hit a glass ceiling pretty quickly; a point beyond which they can't improve anymore without a huge amount of investment for relatively small gains. Technomancers start out with less dice in the pool. but find it easier to improve over the long term.

Roughly speaking. The reality is that both serve the hacking role quite well. Deckers generally do better in direct confrontations, and technomancers can compile sprites to do weird things that give them an edge at times.

This based on the handful of games I've played and discussions with other players. I haven't tried playing a decker OR technomancer in 5th Ed myself yet. Eager to give it a go. :)

ACK! I step away for a few hours to get some work done and the thread explodes!! Sweet.

First, I WANT TO PLAY. Second, I have no book. I'll have a book in April.

Are the basic rules in the link provided by DT sufficient to help get character generation done and to get to playing? Third, what's a Decker? It sounds cool. Fourth, [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION], I want to play a Harajuku-type character. Can you help me draft?

harajukuGirlcloseup (640x518).jpg

Last edited:

galenbd

First Post
Prometheus

SRMageBust_zps818c28ff.jpg

[sblock=Description]Prometheus is a young human in his early twenties. He has black hair and a matching goatee. He is skinny and slightly underfed. He dresses in current street fashion, though all of his clothes are well worn. When he speaks he cannot help a distinctive southern drawl.[/sblock][sblock=Personality]eNFj - the Teacher. Unfortunately, much of the giving side of his personality has been beaten down by his time on the streets. Even in that environment, he still tries to mentor those new to underbelly of society. His planning capabilities have helped him significantly, enabling him to get a handle on the complex details needed to pull of a shadowrun.
His inherent trust has been significantly blunted. He's been let down too many times. He now expects minimal capabilities and will spend a lot of effort checking to insure others are performing as he expects. Unfortunately, that has lead to the perception that he does not trust easily. The opposite is true. He trusts readily, but for far less than expected.
He does not expect to get out of the shadows. The ability to reunite with his family is a fantasy. He is still trying to improve his place within his chosen profession, but his long term goals are far more pragmatic than idealistic.[/sblock][sblock=Background]How's the magic business? Doing well enough by me. There's not as much money to be made down here, but the pros far outweigh the cons. See I was identified as magically capable just before my first year of school, so I got a full ride. I got special classes and my parents didn't have to pay a thing. We were barely scrapin' by so that helped some. School was fun at first until I started to see the inequity. See, if you worked the hardest, you could excel even if you didn't have money. But if you had money, it didn't matter how hard you worked. Everyone thought you were great even if you didn't know the difference between Macmaster's Theory of Astral Contact and Wainwright's ideas on Astral Emanation. I was one of the former and worked hard. I knew the system was skewed and didn't want to get caught on the underside. That was mostly reasonable until we got close to adulthood and the corps began to start sniffing around. Then the problem became money which bred politics. Great Spirits! The politics! Everyone was after a prime corp spot and like good future sararimen and women, we bought into it hook, line and sinker. I made it through 2 years of college before I had a good friend die. He knew the rituals as well as I did, but he hadn't paid enough attention to his limits. His cynotic blue face will never fade from my memory. I was given medical leave for a semester with the expectation that I would continue learning magic. I learned all right. I learned how many students die each year. Lives snuffed out to satisfy someone else greed. Then the trouble started. I withdrew from school. The corporations that were bankrolling my education didn't like the loss of their investment. Can you imagine, me, an investment? Anyway, they started laying pressure on my family which became increasingly more violent. But I learned my lessons well. They had no interest in my family. They wanted me. So I vanished. A couple of years ago, I patched up a decker. He was willin' to look in on them for me. They're still alive and scrapin' by. Company's leaving them alone for now. But it'll still be quite a while before I can get back home. Meantime, I don't mind helping my former benefactor's to share the wealth, one shadowrun at a time.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Unsung

First Post
That's fair. Think I'll leave decking to the experts, in that case. :)

Okay, so to give you an idea of my patchwork knowledge of the game, I know that spider riggers are a thing in some versions of the game. How viable/worthwhile would that kind of character be in this version of the game, in the scenario [MENTION=34958]Deuce Traveler[/MENTION] wants to run, and given the presence of a technomancer and a mage of some sort?

I see the races in the quick start rules, and I see Combat Adept, Decker, Street Samurai, and Street Shaman. From this thread, I gather there's also a Technomancer. What other classes (is that the right term?) are there?

Remove ads