Shark World Inc

Aeolius

Adventurer
Last week, I posted Chapter 96 of "Beneath the Pinnacles of Azor'alq"; my undersea 3e D&D World of Greyhawk message-based game. I am taking this week off, mourning the loss of two of my cats.

When Chapter 100 rolls around, I hope to have my website revisions in place.

Yesterday, I got the 3e Monster Manual 2. It was nice to see the return of the morkoth, ixitxachitl, and sirene, as well as the kopru and leviathan. Water weirds were completely rewritten; more in line with the Greek fates, from which the word derives. The topaz dragon made it from the PsiHB web-enhancement into the MM2 and the legendary shark is reprinted from MotW. Ocean giants and ocean striders will inevitably find their way into my campaign, as well.

For aquatic inspiration via a virtual aquarium, visit http://www.serenescreen.com.

Crothian

First Post
Okay, Shark World lives on. Due to further time restrainst and the fact that reviewing books is actually fun, I'm going to be just updating the short intro that I wrote. Everything else is pretty darn good and needs little extra work. So, Horacio if you want you can just search for the Shark World threads and copy and Paste them over. Don't do the Leviathon, the Kraken, the Megaladon, or the Water Elemental found in Rogues Gallery. Those are going to see a majo update and be redifined as soon as MM2 hits my hands.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Perople, if you want to help me for the website, please, take each one your stuff, pack it as a .zip attachment and e-mail it to me, with a "[SHARK WORLD]" label.

Thanks a lot!

las

First Post
I dont hink I can do that. Sorry. One I dont know how plus I no not hink Im abel to do it. Even if a can get them. If you need help in other ideas tell me. You will need to do wuha sorry.

trentonjoe

Explorer
I'll send the geography stuff as well. I have it all combined I just need to proofread it.

I am excited to say I am starting my first SHark World Campaign in two weeks.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Some interesting shark-related news: Shark Gives “Virgin Birth”

from: http://www.detroitzoo.org/media/release_pages.asp?ID=250

“ September 19, 2002, Detroit, MI – Some may call it extraordinary, others may call it a miracle, but the Belle Isle Aquarium calls its two new white spotted bamboo sharks special. The shark births aroused curiosity due to the fact that the mother is housed with only one other adult bamboo shark, which is also a female! The mother laid its eggs almost fifteen weeks prior to the incredible hatching in July. The young sharks are doing well and can now be seen on exhibit daily at the Belle Isle Aquarium.

The female bamboo sharks have laid eggs in the past. This is not unexpected, as many animals will lay infertile eggs even if there is not a male to mate with. Normally the eggs are assumed to be inviable and are discarded. However, this is the first time in the Belle Isle Aquarium’s history that this has happened and only the second time such a phenomenon has occurred at an accredited zoo or aquarium.

Late last year, a similar event at the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, NE, occurred in which a bonnethead shark gave birth to a baby shark with no male presence. This was the first reported instance which raised suspicions that sharks may be able to reproduce parthenogenetically, that is by virgin birth (the animal has the ability to develop a new egg without fertilization).

Doug Sweet, Curator of Fishes at the Belle Isle Aquarium states, "We are very excited about these births and eager to learn why this happened. We hope our research will provide new information on the white spotted bamboo shark’s reproduction process ."

Genetic testing will soon begin on the newly hatched sharks to demonstrate whether or not they are indeed true parthenogenetic sharks, or if another explanation is available. For example, the tests may reveal that the mother could actually be both male and female, thus capable of fertilizing its own eggs. This occurrence is common in invertebrates, such as snails, and some lower vertebrates, such as the mangrove killifish and the goby fish. Another possible explanation could be that the shark was fertilized by a male at a young age.

White spotted bamboo sharks live in crevices among coral reefs in the south Pacific Ocean. Normally nocturnal, bamboo sharks hide during the day and come out at night to search the reef for small fish, crabs, squid, and octopus to feed on. The shark can live up to 25 years in captivity.

Though they are true sharks, bamboo sharks are not shaped like the more familiar "requiem" sharks, such as the great white, hammerhead, and tiger sharks. Their average size falls in a range between two to three feet, and their narrow body and flattened heads are adapted to wiggling under and into coral heads and crevices to catch their prey. “

Remove ads