• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shatter spell

feydras

First Post
I am confused by the 2nd level Shatter spell. Where do i find the Will saving throw for an object? What book, page?

The text seems to infer that objects are automatically shattered with no save, but the spell stats state "Will negates (object)".

Also, what if the object is attended, like a (nonmagical) greatsword being weilded by a fighter? Does the object get the fighter's Will save?

One of my players has frequently using this spell and i have been foolishly letting it work on weilded weapons with no save due to a hasty read of the spell. I always thought this seemed too powerful.

- feydras

Kyramus

First Post
Since it hasn't moved yet.

Yes if the greatsword is weilded by a fighter. the fighter's will save is used for the saving throw.

You'll need to bring it up to the player that you didn't read the spell correctly and will be using it correctly from that point on. That way the player doesn't feel like you are turning the tables on him. You could explain that your hasty read made you error in their favor. :)

Stalker0

Legend
Kyramus said:
Since it hasn't moved yet.

Yes if the greatsword is weilded by a fighter. the fighter's will save is used for the saving throw.

You'll need to bring it up to the player that you didn't read the spell correctly and will be using it correctly from that point on. That way the player doesn't feel like you are turning the tables on him. You could explain that your hasty read made you error in their favor. :)

Would it be will or reflex then?

James McMurray

First Post
Wil save.

Magic items have saving throw bonuses equal to 2+ 1/2 their caster level. If the magic item is attended, it uses its bonus or its wielder's bonus, whichever is higher.

An unattended magic item gets a save v. a spell that would damage it. A non magic item does not.

LGodamus

First Post
potions are magical the bottles are not they are mundane containers...since they remain behind when the potion is used.....
tell that to your PCs sure your potions is safe...you can still use it next round..............if you can drink it up with a straw out of the mud :D

Kyramus

First Post
OOOOHHHh that's harsh!! I love it.

"Yeah the potion is still drinkable, but all those glass shards will do some points of damage when you lick the potion off the floor, and it'll probably take more than a round to drink it all up."

lol

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
LGodamus said:
tell that to your PCs sure your potions is safe...you can still use it next round..............if you can drink it up with a straw out of the mud :D

Straw? Suck it off the ground like a man, damn it.

-Hyp.

Remove ads