• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Short and Sweet [Orsal judging]

doghead

thotd
Jaan Saresaar, male human servant of the Greenman

Jaan bows politely to Theo's Grandmama to give himself time to think. Grandmama was obviously not aware of Theo's plan. Jaan has the feeling that Theo would be crushed if Grandmama sends them away. Jaan decides to try and see if he can convince Grandmama to at least allow them to have a look through the attic to satisfy Theo.

He greets Grandmama politely and introduces himself and his companions.

"Your Grandson Theo is a brave and generous young man. He was willing to sacrifice all of his birthday cookies to have us come and check for monsters from the attic. He obviously cares for you a great deal and is concerned.

"We thought such bravery selflessness should be treated with respect, and so agreed to come and investigate the attic.

"With your permission of course."

ooc: Diplomacy +5, Sense Motive +6 to get some idea of where Grandmama stands.

ajanders

Explorer
In which the Players determine the CR of an Unfriendly Grandmother...

Theo appears surprised that his Grandma is so slow.
Who, his wide eyes ask as he looks back, wouldn't like real paladin? And an elf? And a magic talking kittycat. And Mr. Irontower is nice too.

He takes a deep breath and goes back through the whole thing, a little slower.

He points to Jaan with one finger.
"This is Mistew Jaan. He's a paladin, so he can smite the monstew upstairs untill it's head falls off!"

He walks over to Kish and points at him.
"An this is Mistew Kish. He's an elf!"
There's no hint that Kish actually has to do anything. Theo obviously feels just being an elf is enough to send the monster packing. Even without its head.

"This is Mistew Iwontowew. He's real nice, an' he's a Pwiest of the Fiwe Sitter too!"
Theo seems to be sure that if Wilhelm is one, it's a good thing...whatever it is.

"An' this is Setis. He's a talking kittycat!"
Yep. That's almost as good as being an elf, in Theo's book.

Theo stops and looks at his grandma, sure that now that she understands, this will all work out just fine.
Judging from the way Grandma is looking at him, it's not going to.

Jaan decides to try and see if he can convince Grandmama to at least allow them to have a look through the attic to satisfy Theo.

He greets Grandmama politely and introduces himself and his companions.

"Your Grandson Theo is a brave and generous young man. He was willing to sacrifice all of his birthday cookies to have us come and check for monsters from the attic. He obviously cares for you a great deal and is concerned.

"We thought such bravery selflessness should be treated with respect, and so agreed to come and investigate the attic.

"With your permission of course."

(OOC: Jaan Diplomacy Check 5+5=10)

Theo's grandmother appears unmoved.

"Please, Gwamma?" Theo asks, looking up at her with innocent blue eyes.
(OOC: Theo's Aid another to Jaan: 11+2=13...Jaan's Diplomacy Check is now 5+5+2=12)

Grandmama appears to be wavering. Slightly. More support from the party might help.
(The diplomacy check to take Unfriendly Grandma to Indifferent is a 15: two more aid another checks from the rest of the party would do it.)

ajanders

Explorer
nimisgod said:
Wilhelm enters behind Jaan and Kith, though not too close to them. He stands at attention as the Lady of the House surveys her visitors. He lets the "young man" explain himself as he takes note of the Maker's Mark and scans his memories for its significance, if any.

OOG: [sblock]is it familiar to him in any way? I don't have Know: Architecture but I have
Knowledge: History +2
Knowledge: Nobility +1
Knowledge: Religion +6
Knowledge: The Planes +2[/sblock]

Whoops! Sorry about missing this...
[sblock]
It is an abstract heraldic design, so Knowledge: Nobility applies.
Knowledge: Nobility = 3+1
The design is an open work cross fleury, rotated 45 degrees to form an X.
Wilhelm has no idea who or what that means.
[/sblock]

nimisgod

LEW Judge
There is something unnerving about being intimidated by an old woman. But Wilhelm manages to summon what courage he has to speak. He steps forward, non-threateningly in order to get out from behind the party.

"My Lady, it would seem that we are not welcome in this house because we would threaten what peace that you desire to keep and put your son in danger. We mean no such thing, I swear to you by the Fire Sister and by House Irontower.

We simply wish to investigate the young sir's report of trouble in your home. Though we appear armed and dangerous, we are merely good citizens, garbed against the worst circumstances.

If young Theodric had thought it necessary to go to the Red Dragon Inn and ask Joe for help, then we had assumed that the situation was dire enough to warrant our aid. I, myself, could not let such a request for help go unheeded.

Would you allow us to do this, my Lady? We offer no threat to you, only help."

Diplomacy +4

Last edited:

HugeOgre

First Post
Kith had bowed low when the woman caught sight of the group there in the foyer, and now he sensed that even Wilhelm's words might not be enough to allay the woman's concerns about the motley group of adventurers. Kith worried too that if he played to the boys fears it might upset him further, or even embarass him. After a few moments of contemplation he had fixed in his mind what he meant to say...

I beseech thee, oh lady of this home, to consider too how good it would be for Theo to see this threat, real or not, uncovered. I could not help but notice the broken glass in the upstairs window. It may be that some small animal of the trees, a squirrel perhaps, has crawled into the attic and is making these noises. Please, let us go and see, so that Theo, you, and we shall have the piece of mind in knowing. (Diplomacy check - 6)

Those were the words Kith had MEANT to say. Somehow, when the time came and his mouth opened however he found his sentences garbled, his fine thoughts dashed apart. He could see it even before he finished talking, and rather than risking further upseting the woman, he lowered his head and retreated behind the frame of the more diplomatic Wilhelm.

"Master always said I should have spent more time in tea class." he whispered.

Last edited:

gogo_jerrick

First Post
Setis

Setis, who was sticking closely behind Wilhelm sticks his head out around his leg. If it was not seeing what he expected to see in the lady, or the recent loss of his family he didn't know, but a couple of tears run down his face onto the floor below. "Gwamma, we just wanted to help Theo out. My family was killed by monstews and I don't want that to happen to any more people at all...."

He steps out from behind Wilhelm, and straitens himself up. "I would wather die then watch that happen to anyone else!"

[sblock=OOC]My Diplomacy Modifier is +5[/sblock]

gogo_jerrick

First Post
Ooc

OOC: I was wondering if we should be using castle to roll, or if you were rolling for us? I've seen a bit of both, and know what u posted about it earlier. Just double checking.....TY

HugeOgre

First Post
gogo_jerrick said:
OOC: I was wondering if we should be using castle to roll, or if you were rolling for us? I've seen a bit of both, and know what u posted about it earlier. Just double checking.....TY

Yea, I initially forgot that he said he'd be doing all the rolling. On the OTHER hand, as is the case with my post, it makes a lot more sense for me to be able to adjust my post at the time based on the result of my roll.

doghead

thotd
Jaan Saresaar, male human servant of the Greenman

Jaan follows the efforts to win over Grandmama. The fact that she hasn't kicked them out yet must be a good sign, but the fact that she hasn't invited them to remain is not. Jaan ponders whether to add something, or leave well enough alone. Ultimately, the fact that he can't think of anything to add that has not already been said decides it for him.

He decides to hold his peace for the moment.

ajanders

Explorer
More talking to Grandma...

Theo's grandmother wavers...caught between courtesy to her guests and something else, Jaan sees.

[sblock]
Sense Motive = 5+6...Jaan has no idea what else, but she's conflicted about something.
[/sblock]

Wilhelm bravely leaps into the breach.
"My Lady, it would seem that we are not welcome in this house because we would threaten what peace that you desire to keep and put your son in danger. We mean no such thing, I swear to you by the Fire Sister and by House Irontower.

We simply wish to investigate the young sir's report of trouble in your home. Though we appear armed and dangerous, we are merely good citizens, garbed against the worst circumstances.

If young Theodric had thought it necessary to go to the Red Dragon Inn and ask Joe for help, then we had assumed that the situation was dire enough to warrant our aid. I, myself, could not let such a request for help go unheeded.

Would you allow us to do this, my Lady? We offer no threat to you, only help."

[sblock]
Diplomacy check 16+4=20. Jaan's diplomacy check is now 5+5+2+2=14
[/sblock]

Grandma's mouth begins to soften. Kish rushes in to seize his advantage.

I beseech thee, oh lady of this home, to consider too how good it would be for Theo to see this threat, real or not, uncovered. I could not help but notice the broken glass in the upstairs window. It may be that some small animal of the trees, a squirrel perhaps, has crawled into the attic and is making these noises. Please, let us go and see, so that Theo, you, and we shall have the piece of mind in knowing.

[sblock] Diplomacy check is 6+0=6. Jaan's diplomacy check remains at 14. [/sblock]

Grandma fixes Kish with a gimlet eye

[sblock] Sense Motive check =5+8=13[/sblock]

and says tartly, in Elvish "Do you talk to your grandmother at home in that tone of voice, young man?"

Setis, who was sticking closely behind Wilhelm sticks his head out around his leg. If it was not seeing what he expected to see in the lady, or the recent loss of his family he didn't know, but a couple of tears run down his face onto the floor below. "Gwamma, we just wanted to help Theo out. My family was killed by monstews and I don't want that to happen to any more people at all...."

He steps out from behind Wilhelm, and straitens himself up. "I would wather die then watch that happen to anyone else!"

[sblock] Diplomacy check=5+5 +2 (circumstance bonus: brave little Setis got the DM all teary)+2 (Grandma really loves cats)=14. Jaan's Diplomacy check is now 16.
This, by the way, is why I prefer to roll, at least right now.)
[/sblock]

The brave little katara melts Grandma's heart.
"Ohh you brave little darling!" she says adoringly. Clomping forward on her canes, she lowers herself to her knees and gives Setis a hug and several kisses on the top of his head, praising him in baby-talk. Kith's keen ears distinctly pick up the word "Snooky-ukkums".

After a moment, she looks up from embracing Setis.
"It won't really hurt anyone if you go up there."
She coughs gently.
"But there are some things up there that need some...explanation."
She pauses for a moment to think.
"Theo, dear, I need to talk to your friends. Go upstairs and play in your fort, please."

Theo turns white.
"I...don't wanna play in my fowt, Gwamma."
He gulps.
"Wanna stay down hewe wit Mistew Jaan and Mistew Iwontowew."
"Theo, you need to go upstairs and play in your fort. Now."
Theo closes his eyes.
"NO!"
"Theodoric Malcolm Godwin! I'm ashamed of you. Do you think paladins ever talk to their grandmothers that way? There's one right behind you. Do you want to ask him?"
Red battles with white on Theo's face.
"No, Gwamma."
Theo hangs his head. An enormous tear gathers at one corner of his eye, then falls to the floor.
"I'm sowwy."
Grandma lets go of Setis with one arm and gathers Theo up in the other.
"It's allright, Theo. I won't send them away. And I will let them look in the attic, after we have a little talk. Then we'll all have milk and cookies and they can tell us about their adventures. Won't that be nice?"

Theo seems less than confident in this plan, but he's going to be on his best behavior in front of a real paladin and a real elf. (And Mr. Irontower and Setis.) Biting his lip, he pastes on a smile and gives his Grandma a hug and a kiss.
Then he shakes everyone's hand in turn and says very seriously "Goodbye."
Still white faced and biting his lower lip, he walks out the door.

Remove ads