Should girls be allowed to play fighter characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercule

Adventurer
Well, he's half-right. Girls can play fighters, but they have to play male characters to do so.

Just kidding. Contrary to others, I hope this is a troll -- simply because I'd hate to think half-wits like that DM aren't allowed near anything as sharp as a d4.

On the chance it's legit -- and that you're relating things accurately -- let me be quite clear on this. Your GM is being misogynistic, lack-witted, ignorant, foolish, and generally just a stupid SOB.

Zappo

Explorer
Curious, it looks like half of the people on this thread think Hot_lil_witch is saying "my DM doesn't let female players play fighters", and half think she is saying "my DM doesn't let players play female fighters". :lol:
(I say 'she' because I think it's the former).

I doubt it's a troll, the topic is hardly inflamatory. I mean, everyone agrees, and it couldn't be otherwise. From Hot_lil_witch's other post in the "overwhelming encounter" thread, I think her DM lacks a certain something. Like, brains, maybe.

orsal

LEW Judge
The literal answer to your question would be Rule Zero: if your DM says you can't, you can't. Your DM can make any house rule he wants.

But the more sophisticated answer would invoke Rule Minus One: If your DM is a stupid male chauvinist [expletive deleted for the benefit of Eric's grandmother], you don't have to play in his campaign.

Tell your DM what a jerk he his. Tell him I said so. But don't tell him where I live, because he could probably beat me up if he wanted. Most people can. Including most girls. If I were a D&D character, I'd have STR of about 6. You know, that's never stopped me from playing a fighter. My very first D&D character was a human fighter named Orsal. I chose my ENworld screen name in his honour, even though he had STR 6 and INT 16, and I probably have STR 16 and INT 6. My personal weakness never stopped me from playing a fighter because -- and here's the point that I thought would be obvious enough, although your DM doesn't seem to grasp it -- the player is not the character! When my fighter character swings his greatsword (we called them 2-handed swords back in the day), I the player sitting at the table don't have to lift anything heavier than a 20-sided die. And even with my STR of 6, that's not too much of a challenge for me.

I suspect that your DM really doesn't want you playing. He'd rather have an all-boys club. But he doesn't want to be too explicit about it, because he's hoping people won't notice what a sexist [expletive deleted] he is. So he's just going to come up with difficult house rules just to make life difficult for you, hoping that you'll quit on your own volition.

You could stay just to spite him. But you wouldn't enjoy that. If he doesn't want you in his game, you're not going to enjoy it either, and it would be a shame to spoil a great hobby for you just so that you can annoy a jerk of a DM. So here's what you should do instead. Find yourself another DM who isn't such a [expletive deleted]. Join his or her campaign, create your paladin character, and have as much fun as you can playing. Get into character really well, and make things a lot of fun for everyone around you. Then have your nice DM call up your nasty ex-DM and say something like "You know if you hadn't been such an obnoxious jerk one of our best players would never have joined us. I just wanted to thank you for your idiocy."

By the way, if your DM decided female characters couldn't be paladins, because the society he was creating wasn't openminded enough about gender roles, that would be a totally valid use of Rule Zero. But as long as there are paladins in the campaign world, and they're appropriate for a PC class, there's no valid reason to restrict certain players from playing them on account of their real-world sex. If a wimp (and a pacifist) like myself can play a character who kills ogres for a living, real-world player attributes should in no way restrict in-game character attributes.

thierryorlowski

First Post
Rules about Paladin gender ?

The good news: there is no rules concerning the gender of any classes....
More specifically, about Paladin, ask your master to turn page 43 of the 3.5 player's handbook : the Paladin's illustration shows a girl !!!(I think the 3.0 handbook got it as well).
Anothe clue: I have the new deluxe character sheet, on each classes (Paladin, barbarian, monk), the question "Gender" is asked...Proof that a girl can no problem play these roles.
The bad news: The master can have his "house rules" forbiding a girl to play a Paladin but it is HIS sexist rules, not D&D's official rules.
Try to pesuade him using the information above
Good Luck
Thierry

Dark Jezter

First Post
Assuming this isn't a troll, I think people are a little too eager to condemn the DM here. For all we know, his setting might forbid females from taking levels in any class other than wizard or cleric. Hell, in Forgotten Realms, there are several prestige classes (Hathran, Sword-Dancer, etc) that are only available to female PCs, but you don't see male players screaming sexism (in fact, I don't think I've seen any male-only PrCs in the Realms).

Granted, this is a lot more restrictive than prestige classes available only to females, but I still wouldn't pass judgement until I've heard the DM's reasoning.

Last edited:

ConspiracyAngel

First Post
Well, here is how I see it. The problem may not be gender, it might be that the DM simply feels that your "personality" is incapable of projecting the proper drama to play a paladin or fighter. In which case, it is your GM's game, you play by their rules. If you opt not to, then start a different game.

But literally, these people are all correct. Technically any gender is capable of playing any role, class, race, or religion.

takyris

First Post
Dark Jezter: Is OA considered part of FR? They have that "Eunuch Warlock" PrC. I don't think females can qualify for that.

Yeah, women! In your face! You wanna be a Eunuch Warlock? I don't think so! Ha! That's a men-only PrC, baby!

By the way, what does "Eunuch" mean? They just said something about "minor procedure" in the flavor-text. :D

Torm

Explorer
Hey, all - Torm here, god of Paladins. Thought I'd chime in with my two divine coppers worth.

I see nothing wrong with a female paladin. On the contrary, there's actually an advantage to playing a female paladin, as they're the ones I keep a closer eye on! (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know-what-I-mean-eh?)

:lol:

borc killer

First Post
Here is a great source for a female Paladin.
The Deed of Paksenarrion

Great book and is got to be one of the best representations of a paladin in literature.

Borc Killer

-edit- damn have to read my stuff before i post LOL

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads