• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should girls be allowed to play fighter characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old One

First Post
This Thread is still going?

Sign on Fighter's Guild, Local 237:

"No Grlzz Allowt...'Cept in Chainz Bikiniz"

~ Old One

Dark Jezter

First Post
takyris said:
Dark Jezter: Is OA considered part of FR? They have that "Eunuch Warlock" PrC. I don't think females can qualify for that.

Yeah, women! In your face! You wanna be a Eunuch Warlock? I don't think so! Ha! That's a men-only PrC, baby!

By the way, what does "Eunuch" mean? They just said something about "minor procedure" in the flavor-text. :D
Heh!

While I am aware of the Eunuch Warlock, OA isn't part of FR. :)

And even if it were, I don't think that many males would be lining up to take that PrC. :eek:

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Well, of *course* girls can't play paladins! What woman would ever follow such a silly, over-the-top version of chivalry? No, only someone burdened with male gonads could possibly pull off such a roll. Your DM is, indeed, right. :)

Agemegos

Explorer
Dark Jezter said:
Assuming this isn't a troll, I think people are a little too eager to condemn the DM here. For all we know, his setting might forbid females from taking levels in any class other than wizard or cleric.

Even so, the rule would apply to female characters, not to female players.

random user

First Post
I think there is a small but non-zero chance that both the poster and the DM are fairly young. It is one possible explanation at least.

As many people have said, there is no rule that says that girls (and women) cannot play female fighters in the rulebooks. However, the DM may decide to not allow female character fighters in his world. While it would be unusual, it's possible to create such a world where something like this would be interesting. It it not so much different than saying say, elves could not be fighters, and then creating some sort of reason why in this particular campaign world this is the case.

However, there is no reason why any female player would not be able to play a male fighter character in this world. In other words, there is nothing about the mindset of a male or female that would prevent them from playing any type of character.

Ignore the rest if you aren't young, but if you are, please read on: It is sad, but a fact still today, that you, as a female, will occassionally find that someone thinks that you can't do something because of your gender. There are many ways to deal with it, but seeking advice on this message board probably isn't the best way. If you know an adult you can trust, my suggestion would be to have a nice discussion with them about gender discrimination and what you should do when you find it happening to you.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Whether the question is whether Female players can play Fighters or Female PC's can be fighters, the answer remains the same, and you need look no firther than rule zero to find it: what the DM says, goes (and this is usually the rallying cry of EN World, so I'm a little shocked that nearly all responses have been to the opposite).

You are, of course, able to "vote with your feet" and leave; but otherwise you have the options presented to you.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Dark Jezter said:
Assuming this isn't a troll, I think people are a little too eager to condemn the DM here. For all we know, his setting might forbid females from taking levels in any class other than wizard or cleric. Hell, in Forgotten Realms, there are several prestige classes (Hathran, Sword-Dancer, etc) that are only available to female PCs, but you don't see male players screaming sexism (in fact, I don't think I've seen any male-only PrCs in the Realms).

Granted, this is a lot more restrictive than prestige classes available only to females, but I still wouldn't pass judgement until I've heard the DM's reasoning.

That is the crux of situation, isn't it? Well, hot lil witch, ask your DM why girls can't play fighters or paladins. If he comes back with some reason having to do with male characters being stronger than female characters, then it's a sexist answer. It doesn't matter how strong a character is in the game. You can play a fighter with a strength of 6 if you really wanted (though you won't excel at the profession, you can still do it). He's just trying to rationalize his own sexist ideas of what gender roles are appropriate.

If he makes any comment about girl players not being able to play fighters or paladins for any reason whatsoever, then it's definitely a sexist answer. For one thing, there's no good reason you can't play a male character.

In both of these cases, your DM probably deserves a massive wedgie, or even, dare I say it, the dreaded rear admiral. Discrimination based on inappropriate criteria has no place in polite society. Sex is an appropriate discrimination point when it comes to figuring out who can use which public restroom, not who can play what class in a game.

If his explanation is a reasoned one about the culture you're playing in having a rigidly defined division of labor in which some professions are appropriate for men and others for women and even men can't cross those barriers, then I'd consider it a socially acceptible explanation.

One example of this kind of difference in gender roles appeared in the Traveller game. A star-faring race, the Aslan, descended from feline-like predators had a division between men and women in which the men were warriors, pilots, diplomats, and land-owners. Female characters filled all of society's technical roles including starship engineering, maintenance, anything having to do with money and so on. They even had different written languages because the females needed something appropriately readable by themselves and machines while the men needed something with prestige. Society couldn't function if men were given technical tasks because they didn't have a clue about them, that's how rigid the division of labor between the sexes was. It led to the joke: How many male Aslan does it take to screw in a lightbulb? At least 6, because I've seen 5 trying...

Last edited:

Trainz

Explorer
I think it depends on the campaign.

Assuming the DM is experienced, he is quite in is right to forbid a girl to play any class.
More so, girls should feel privileged to be able to play in a D&D game.

Knights and Paladins are certainly no places for women. While some may debate this,
I think a girl should know her place and accept whatever restrictions a
DM might place on her choice of class, whatever the campaign or the setting.
Damsels in distress and bar wenches are perfectly suitable roles, and when
I DM, I make sure any female player is quite aware of that. Absolutely aware.
No self respecting DM should allow women to have the same advantages as men,
Girl Power and all that crap notwithstanding.

Now, all that said, in this post, only read the first letter of every line...

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads