• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Should poison spray be a cone?

Should poison spray be a cone?

• Yes.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • No, keep it an attack

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 9.4%

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Heh, that seems ok.

I do Mind Theater (or 4e-ish Grid for complex scenes). So I dont really come across "partial squares".

Do you consider a partial square to be equivalent to a full effect?
The rules do. Again, according to the DMG, if at least half a square is covered by an AoE, it’s considered to be affected.

Yaarel

Hurra for syttende mai!
The rules do. Again, according to the DMG, if at least half a square is covered by an AoE, it’s considered to be affected.
What do you think? Can I use this principle to say?

A 5-foot cube Minor Image can produce a 6-foot tall standing Human − because the cube is hovering 2½ feet in the air, thus affecting two cubes, effectively 1 square that is 2 squares tall.

aco175

Legend
I never did like the 5ft wide lightning bolt taking up 10ft wide since it can be cast half in each square. I can see bursts taking up 4 squares otherwise it would just be one target.

Charlaquin

What do you think? Can I use this principle to say?

A 5-foot cube Minor Image can produce a 6-foot tall standing Human − because the cube is hovering 2½ feet in the air, thus affecting two cubes, effectively 1 square that is 2 squares tall.
I never did like the 5ft wide lightning bolt taking up 10ft wide since it can be cast half in each square. I can see bursts taking up 4 squares otherwise it would just be one target.
Alright, I double checked the relevant text, it’s on DMG page 251, and it actually says “if an area of effect is circular and covers at least half a square, it affects that square.” So, I was wrong, and this lightning bolt trick doesn’t work either.

That rule only applies if it is a circular area of effect. DMG p. 251. Areas of effect need to have their origin at an intersection of squares preventing you from covering partial squares with a cube AoE.

Horwath

Legend
Yes,

Acid splash is now 5ft AoE at 60ft that can in theory hit 4 targets,
having a 15ft cone should be more or less the same, you have to get really close to use it, plus much more chance of friendly fire with a 15ft cone than a 5ft radius sphere, it's just 8 squares

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Line, cone, spray, or origami duck, the shape isn't as important as it not being a necromancy spell. Poison =/= necromancy in any sense of the word.

Yaarel

Hurra for syttende mai!
Regarding the 4e-ish simplification. Beyond a 10-foot radius, a "circle" is the same thing as a square except missing its corner squares.

For Mind Theater the grid rarely comes up. But for occasions when a sphere on a grid does happen, it is simple to count the squares from the center, except for any last diagonal. It works well enough most of the time. I created a diagram to see what it looks like.

Grid Sphere.png

Good enough. The grid sphere is simple, and it doesnt come up too often.

Yaarel

Hurra for syttende mai!
Line, cone, spray, or origami duck, the shape isn't as important as it not being a necromancy spell. Poison =/= necromancy in any sense of the word.
Poison feels Primal or alchemical - not at all Necromantic.

Maybe the association is leaning into the Roman traditions linking "witch" and "poisoner"?

Possibly, diseases can be Necrotic and Necromantic, but I wouldnt use Poison to characterize a disease either, even tho both would be an "illness".

Charlaquin

Yes,

Acid splash is now 5ft AoE at 60ft that can in theory hit 4 targets,
having a 15ft cone should be more or less the same, you have to get really close to use it, plus much more chance of friendly fire with a 15ft cone than a 5ft radius sphere, it's just 8 squares
15 ft cone is 6 squares.

Remove ads