• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Siege in the Stonespike Mountains (Boddynock Judging)

Manzanita

First Post
OOC: Do you want us to RP the shopping? Otherwise, let's just assume we've done it by now.

I think by the terms of the gease, Iggy shouldn't dally at the academy. I would like to get Iggy a formal recognition of being a Loremaster. I tend to think of it as a badge, but it could be interpretted as some sort of degree (masters degree), embellishment on his cloak, whatever. If Patlin is up for integrating that into this adventure at some point, so much the better. Given Iggy has now taken a level in the Loremaster PrC, he should be able to get this official qualification. I'm open to having him pay some money or spend some time or do some tasks, though, whatever.

That's why Iggy wants to go to the Academy, primarily.

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: I don't want to roleplay the shopping, but I was willing to roleplay Iggy's trip to the academy. As he doesn't feel this is an apropriate time to stop by the academy, though, let's just say that everyone completes their shopping and is ready to head out. Satisfactory?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Manzanita said:
OOC: Do you want us to RP the shopping? Otherwise, let's just assume we've done it by now.

I think by the terms of the gease, Iggy shouldn't dally at the academy. I would like to get Iggy a formal recognition of being a Loremaster. I tend to think of it as a badge, but it could be interpretted as some sort of degree (masters degree), embellishment on his cloak, whatever. If Patlin is up for integrating that into this adventure at some point, so much the better. Given Iggy has now taken a level in the Loremaster PrC, he should be able to get this official qualification. I'm open to having him pay some money or spend some time or do some tasks, though, whatever.

That's why Iggy wants to go to the Academy, primarily.
(OOC: He'd be looking for a Magus's Degree (with Mordrue again, of course), probably with Honours for being a Loremaster (since the rare high-level non-Loremaster Diviners can still get the Magus's). If he gets that, he can also officially use the title 'Magus', which is pretty cool (either before/instead of his name like the title 'Doctor', so Magus (Ignatius) O'Reily. or else afterwards as in Ignatius O'Reily, Magus. That takes 2 years at a minimum and is expensive--you can handwave it out of adventure, but not when we have a geas, yeah. Think about the topic of his arcane thesis for when the time comes. The thesis is expected to be written in Ancient Medibarian (and in general most Academy students are expected to learn it, especially if they are Mordrue and studied with the prof who teaches about the Golden Age of the Medibarian Empire), so you might want to see if you can pick that up or convince them to let you switch it out for a language you didn't use yet.

You also get the Magus's Staff, which is a magical nexus unique to the Academy, but tuition covers that. Normally you would already have the Master's Cloak from your Master's Degree before the Magus, but Iggy is special because of his Loremaster status and can skip the degree if he wants and just get the higher one)

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: I'm thinking you guys would have given more of an indication if you were ready to move on, right? Also, Manzanita: If Iggy want to submit a scholarly paper for publication based on his experiences and/or submit an application for the Magus' Degree and/or some other roleplaying bit reinforcing his connection to the academy, you could do that now. I'm totally OK with retroactively saying he was working on the paper over the last few months, and has it ready to submit, or other similar things if you have your own ideas.

Manzanita

First Post
OOC: OK. I"ll update Iggy w/his magic item. As for his Loremaster status, looks like RA thinks he needs to write a thesis. I'm fine with this & like the 'Magus' description. What does the 'magus staff' do? I'm fine with spending some money, but am leery of spending loads of cash for his 'degree' unless it has some value.

I think its best for Iggy to pursue this once the Stonepike seige has ended. Hopefully he'll have some time on the way back to do this. He does have speak languages as a class skill & can pick up 'ancient medibarian' next level.

In any case, Iggy is now ready to proceed with the adventure.

EDIT: Crossposted there. I'll give some thought to his thesis as we go forward. He's certainly had some interesting adventures. Any suggestions welcome.

Steve Jung

Explorer
Charlarn of Phyrah: male human cleric 6/ranger 2

Charlarn is getting a bunch of stuff. Other than that he's raring to go.

wand of cure light wounds 750 gp
light steel shield +1 1159 gp
gauntlets of ogre power 4000 gp
ring of protection +1 2000 gp
scroll of invisibilty purge 375 gp
scroll of remove curse 375 gp
scroll of gentle repose 150 gp
potion of resist energy (fire) (x4) 1200 gp
healer's kit 50 gp
silver holy symbol 25 gp
20 days of trail rations 10 gp
5 sunrods 10 gp
total 10,104 gp

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Manzanita said:
OOC: OK. I"ll update Iggy w/his magic item. As for his Loremaster status, looks like RA thinks he needs to write a thesis. I'm fine with this & like the 'Magus' description. What does the 'magus staff' do? I'm fine with spending some money, but am leery of spending loads of cash for his 'degree' unless it has some value.

I think its best for Iggy to pursue this once the Stonepike seige has ended. Hopefully he'll have some time on the way back to do this. He does have speak languages as a class skill & can pick up 'ancient medibarian' next level.

In any case, Iggy is now ready to proceed with the adventure.

EDIT: Crossposted there. I'll give some thought to his thesis as we go forward. He's certainly had some interesting adventures. Any suggestions welcome.
(OOC: The Loremaster Prestige Class is an in-game construct--they award all outstanding Diviners the same Magus status in Divination, not just Loremasters. Just like they need not necessarily have the Archmage PrC to have Archmage status (almost no one has that status, though, so it doesn't matter. I believe there have been three to receive it in the last fifty years, and all are missing or presumed dead. Umbryn Albion is thought to have Archmage status, but no one living remembers when he got it. Rayne Liore is close to receiving it, but she has been unable to complete some of the final requirements yet.

The Magus Staff is pretty cool--it's an arcane nexus, and I'm in the middle of writing some feats for advanced Academy studies too (so that Academy Magus can be an official feat).

It's not just a thesis--it's a program of study that is 2 years+, including oral exams, a technical qualifying exam, etc. The time can be handwaved outside of adventures, but if someone comes to them with money and a written thesis and says 'give me the degree', they still won't award the degree. Heck, most adventurer Academy Graduates have the Journeyman's Degree only. AFAIK, the only LEW semi-playable character with the Wizard's (also has the Master's) is a cohort.

Journeyman's typically requires mastery of all cantrips (except from barred schools of course) and a certain level of familiarity with 1st-level spells. It is designed for adventurers. It is technically possible to graduate with the Journeyman's without mastering 1st level spells yet (for those who would like to be X/Wizard and take their second level in Wizard and claim to study at the Academy), but it is frowned upon. For Wizard's, one requirement is that you must be able to cast at least 2 2nd-level spells, preferably more--no exceptions. You also must be able to scribe scrolls. For Master's, you must be able to perform some degree of metamagic (or create Wondrous Items for Omega) and cast at least two 3rd-level spells. )

Rystil Arden

First Post
but am leery of spending loads of cash for his 'degree' unless it has some value.

(OOC: Oh, I missed this--the degree costs more than the price of the staff (obviously), but if the GM takes the RP considerations into account, it should be well worth it, especially in Medibaria. Non-nobility will generally follow non-self-destructive-sounding advice or instructions from a Magus without question, as they see a Magus as being somewhat nigh divine (like the respect some people have for a Doctor in our world, but even moreso). As to the nobility, Iggy's a halfling, so the Medibarian nobility would generally dismiss him immediately, but as a Magus, he would command their attention and some measure of respect. Even outside Medibaria, most people will trust the word of a Magus of the Academy--of course, the other side of the coin is that the Academy has a process in place to retroactively revoke the status of a Magus who abuses this and makes the Academy look bad.

Also, as I said, I'm working on a cool feat for the Academy Magus. It has different benefits for the four houses.)

Remove ads