• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Simple weapons used martially.

Shag

Explorer
Didn't some one do a whole write up on using simple weapons martially?

Like a so:

If you say use a Quarterstaff as a martial weapon you could use it as one handed reach weapon and so on?

I was toying around with the idea that, simply put, a simple weapon used as a martial weapon increases a damage step. It let a PC use a pair of sickles (light weapons), and do d8 per hit, but it wasn't too overpowered.

Starglim

Explorer
That's a lot of damage for light weapons, though the criticals won't be impressive. I'd be more inclined to add special attacks of some kind. In the end, peasant weapons are just not going to perform as well as a big purpose-made blade.

robberbaron

First Post
Surely a simple weapon is used the same way, whoever uses it?

Are you trying to rule that a Fighter would know more "tricks" with a quarterstaff than a Wizard?
If so, you are forgetting that if a Ftr 5 uses a quarterstaff he is better at hitting with it to the tune of +3. Isn't this enough?

Tetsubo

First Post
robberbaron said:
Surely a simple weapon is used the same way, whoever uses it?

Are you trying to rule that a Fighter would know more "tricks" with a quarterstaff than a Wizard?
If so, you are forgetting that if a Ftr 5 uses a quarterstaff he is better at hitting with it to the tune of +3. Isn't this enough?

It's a matter of training. Classes that get just Simple weapons have the bare minimum of training. Which is why they get only the most basic and simply designed weapon choices. (We'll ignore any conflict this has with the Real World.) Martial training allows more weapon choices. Few Martially trained classes use Simple weapons because they have so many better options. All that extra training should mean something, regardless of the weapon. If a Fighter uses a Qstaff it should be a greater danger to an opponent than a Wizard. Allowing a larger damage die is one simple and fast way of doing that. I've never run into this situation but it is a good question. The suggestion of allowing some special ability or attack is also good. It would just need a weapon by weapon write-up.

Shag

Explorer
I think the example I read was if you used a quarterstaff martially you could use it with one hand as sort of a long club OR a TETSUBO :) and it would give you reach (basically a a bitch slap with the end) and say if you took it as an exotic weapon you could do say double trips or something.

Or say a longspear...with it taken martially you could use it in one hand without penelty for that phalanx effect...

Or used exotically you could attack with both reach and close up...

Get the Idea....

was this really not posted here cause I can't seem to find it anywhere..I'm sure I didn't imagine it...

It was one of the coolest things I'd read in a while...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads