Six From Gate Pass - A War of the Burning Sky Campaign (3.5)

funkmamagoat

First Post
Hey goats

Just my first checking in post. Greg has my character and just finalizing a few deets, should get underway soon.

Funkmamagoat (aka Kirio the Effusive)

Gregor

First Post
Chapter 1 - The Scouring of Gate Pass

Chapter 1: The Scouring of Gate Pass

The air is brisk and your breath escapes your mouth in thick clouds of mist as you hustle down the slush-filled streets and alleys of Gate Pass.

On any other New Year’s Eve it would be impossible to move so quickly, for the streets would be clogged with citizens preparing to begin celebrating the Festival of Dreams. Taverns would be filled to the brim, their courtyards filled with drunken revelers, performers and frantic bar maids. Banners, streamers and other decorations would clothe the many buildings and roof bridges, and the clanging of temple bells would be intermittently heard amid a cacophony of laughter and music.

Tonight however, an army marches from Ragesia to lay siege to Gate Pass. An army commanded by a scourge of Inquisitors who signal ill intent for magic users. Thus, tonight it is quiet. The streets lay empty, filled only with dark shuttered windows, locked doors and snow. Occasionally you spot members of the City Watch who warm their hands over braziers and stare at you over their shoulders as you pass through district gates.

You were told to go to the Poison Apple Pub just before midnight to meet a Resistance member by the name of Torrent. Your contact was thin on the details, but you believe that this mission may give you an opportunity to escape the city.

You stop for a moment to check your gear again, content in the snugness of taught belt straps, heavy weapon sheathes and full packs. Your heart pounds and lungs slightly burn from your hurried travel. You’re sure that the 11th bell of the evening rang out some time ago. It must be midnight soon.

When you are about a mile from the Western Gate of the city, amid the homes and shops of poorer residents, you finally reach your destination. The Poison Apple Pub stands before you, its sign squeakily swaying in the night breeze. The pub is a two-story wooden building attached by a rooftop bridge to a neighboring house. The door and windows are boarded up, and the curtains drawn. Nailed to the front door is a large notice.

After surveying the building and catching your breath, you step out of an alley or street to approach the pub and realize that you are not alone. Others have also journeyed here this evening, equally as winded and cautious as you. You take a moment to regard one another:

A tall elf with black hair and chiseled features bundles up his winter cloak and clutches an ornate wooden bow.

A human warrior in chainmail fingers the hilt of his bastard sword and grips a giant wooden tower shield.

A stout bald dwarf with a braided beard stands warm against the winter chill in armor made from the hide of bears.

Another human warrior clad in chainmail, with the thick arms of a blacksmith, leans on a long finely made glaive.

A second older-looking elf, with long grey hair and clad in a dramatic cape, grins widely.

Yet another human, smaller in form than the others, stands amid the shadows in leather armor and a short spear rises up above his hooded head.

At this distance you can now make out the notice on the door which reads:

Trehan Finner, owner of the Poison Apple Pub, has been taken into temporary custody under the protection of the city guard, until such time that he can be questioned by representatives of the Ragesian Empire, and found innocent of hostile collusion. The Poison Apple Pub is hereby closed until further notice.

Last edited:

digimattic

First Post
The Cautious Approach

A slim, warmly dressed elf peers out from under the hood of his heavy woolen cloak as wisps of black hair are blown about his face by the cold winter wind. With hand instinctively on the grip of his bow, he glances cautiously at the unexpected group in front of him. He says nothing, but pauses and glances towards the alley entrance.

As his free hand rummages under the heavy cloak, he clears his throat and says "I'm sure no one will mind if I have a drink." and subsequently he produces a flask from which he takes a sip, still casting his gaze from man to man.

The Bashar

First Post
The Dwarf checks the shield on his back and the heavy pick on his belt. He then has as look around the surrounding area.

OOC: Perception check. Having a look around to see if I notice anyone suspicious besides the people standing before him.

Last edited:

The Bashar

First Post
After scanning the area the Dwarf's eyes lock on the Elf sipping from the flask.

"I could go for a drink myself! A nice Dwarven Ale will warm your spirit and your body. Too bad the pub is closed. Seems like the city guard have added Barkeep to their list of malcontents."

Last edited:

Adjuntive

First Post
The human warrior with the massive oak shield upon his back raises an eyebrow beneath his steel helm at the alcoholic elf. Yet a strong arm comes forth from underneath his grey woolen cloak, salutes each of you with a fist against his chest and a slight bow and speaks with a slight wry smile on his lips:
"Greetings. I am called Alric Greyblade. Feel free to drink in my presence, I care not, though do excuse my abstinence at this late hour. Would any of you happen to know where I can find a Sea-Witch by any chance?"

fromage67

First Post
"Greetings. I am called Alric Greyblade. Feel free to drink in my presence, I care not, though do excuse my abstinence at this late hour. Would any of you happen to know where I can find a Sea-Witch by any chance?"

The smaller man advances and nods, slightly lowering his hood so that you can make out his features. He has long oiled dark hair and a thin mustache and goatee. His eyes have the sunken look of someone who sleeps much less than he should. He answers Alric:

"Greetings. I know nothing of a Sea-Witch. Perhaps she was swept up in the, ahem, 'Torrent' of people leavng town? In any event, I was expecting company here, only I wasn't told that the Pub had closed."

OOC: Yeah! Good omen, natural 20 on first roll of the campaign...

Last edited:

fromage67

First Post
OOC: I can only post during lunch-hour at work, when this site is temporarily unblocked. Otherwise, in the evenings or on W-Es.

Cheers,

Jean

Adjuntive

First Post
Alric regards the small man impassively for a moment, then speaks.
“Indeed. And you are? We all came here for company I would imagine, though we found company we did not expect.”

Remove ads