• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Snake's Swiftness, Mass: Better than Fireball?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Feat and class choice occur at the same time, as far as I know. If you pushed me, then I'd say class comes first.

In any case, you should b able to use a feat gained that level to enter a prestige class. Unlike with say...casting level x spells, the gaining of the feat is completely independent of gaining a class level.

kyonu

First Post
You raise a good argument, Streamofthesky... And I will build the character likewise. I will bring it up with the DM on Saturday, and if he says "no", then no big deal.

But thanks for the info--if this works, a 2nd level War Weaver won't even need Haste OR Mass Snakes Swiftness... I could receive Fireball, then use Snakes Swiftness via the Tapestry, affecting all the persons I'd like it to affect, and then be able to still do other things.

Thanks a lot for the help guys. :) I'll let you know how tomorrow pans out if I can actually play with this guy.

Dandu

First Post
Fireball... Eh...

I mean, you have a bunch of fighters. Fireball is a large AoE spell. This cannot end well.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Fireball... Eh...

I mean, you have a bunch of fighters. Fireball is a large AoE spell. This cannot end well.

Yeah...

I'm not sure if you're still using a sorcerer as in the opening post or have switched to wizard now, but if you absolutely need a blastng spell that's multitarget, Wings of Flurry from Races of the Dragon is sorc-only. It does d6/CL force damage, reflex half. Has a sizeable radius burst from the caster, and does not harm allies. It also has no listed damage dice cap, though I would limit it based on the dice cap by spell level table in the DMG. So...pretty rocking spell, unfortunately it's level 4. :)

In the meantime, consider Manyjaws from spell compendium. It's also d6/level force damage, reflex half, except ech set of jaws is contributing each d6, and you can divvy them up between targets as you please. Sort of weak damage, granted, but it a) again, gives you the control to not nuke your friends; b) can be maintained by concentration for up to 3 rounds, so it potentially can do a lot; c) it's force damage!

Dandu

First Post
Wings of Flurry is supposed to be uncapped. And no, it's not overpowered. It's just that pretty much all other blasting spells are underpowered, since they get less relevant as you level up. (In contrast, a well balanced spell such as Haste is a decent spell to cast even at high level combat. And a broken spell like Polymorph... you want to cast all the time for everything, ever.)

Incidentally, if you take Manyjaws, pick up the skill trick Swift Concentration.

Also, I've been thinking about Mass Snake's Swiftness. I think it's good, but best used if combat tends to be highly mobile. Otherwise, you're better off with Haste.

Last edited:

shadyizok

Explorer
If you go into warweaver make sure you pick up fly and greater invisibility at a certain point. Nothing says your ready to fight quite like a entire party of invisible fighter types with 3D movement!

kyonu

First Post
If you go into warweaver make sure you pick up fly and greater invisibility at a certain point. Nothing says your ready to fight quite like a entire party of invisible fighter types with 3D movement!

Oh believe me, I went through all t he possibilities like that. :D I'm going to have mucho funo when I get to 4th level War Weaver. (which will be the level that I CAN select Greater Invisibility)

I plan on getting Haste or Snake's Swiftness at next level (which will be me getting 3rd level spells, since War Weaver nixes the first level's spell progression), depending on how the DM plays, then Wings of Flurry incase enemies get too close to me. "Get away! BAM dazed!"

kyonu

First Post
with the War Weaver tapestry, I don't need the Mass snake's swiftness; the Snake's Swiftness regular would be a better option. Have Haste in the Weave to bomb at the beginning of combat, but only after my allies are in full-attack position.

Remove ads