• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Snake's Swiftness, Mass: Better than Fireball?

Dandu

First Post
You want to cast haste after everyone is in full attack position so they can get the full attack benefits, but keep in mind that the enemy may change position before your friends get to act. Only do it if your friends go immediately after you cast, otherwise you're better off having haste at the beginning of combat.

kyonu

First Post
Aight, well I played last night with this spell. Unfortunately I was unable to use War Weaver, because the DM doesn't like pre-req combos like that apparantly... (Unfortunately I won't be playing that game anymore, at least for a few months, cuz he was caught breaking parol and got jail time. Oh well.)

But on the topic subject, Snake's Swiftness I found to be WAY more useful than fireball with the amount of players in the party. 6 other combatants besides myself, all with a melee or ranged attack. If it werent for Snakes Swiftness Mass, we probably would have lost the fight, cuz I popped it twice. (One player and a horse got eaten, by the plant things we were fighting; luckily they survived because of the spell, allowing everyone to get their final attack.)

So in my opinion, versus a random amount of enemies, Fireball falls prone to a more powerful spell such as Snake's Swiftness, Mass. Fireball is great versus an incoming group of known enemies and the like, but dangerous in combat.

Dandu

First Post
Aight, well I played last night with this spell. Unfortunately I was unable to use War Weaver, because the DM doesn't like pre-req combos like that apparantly... (Unfortunately I won't be playing that game anymore, at least for a few months, cuz he was caught breaking parol and got jail time. Oh well.)
Are you absolutely sure you should be... playing with this DM?

kyonu

First Post
Are you absolutely sure you should be... playing with this DM?

Truthfully, I didn't know he was this kind of guy. He's nice and calm, which most DMs are not.

Regardless, he was playing things by the book most of the time (multiple other people are the same way; unfortunately it sometimes ends gaming sessions with "this is how its supposed to be!") But the point at hand stands: when you're with multiple melee/ranged characters, Snake's Swiftness, Mass is a better spell.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
But the point at hand stands: when you're with multiple melee/ranged characters, Snake's Swiftness, Mass is a better spell.

Melee, it depends. Ranged, they will always be better off with haste, unless the combat ends before they get another turn. An archer can basically make a full attack every single round if he wants.

kyonu

First Post
I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, and I probably don't want to. I prefer to not talk about issues with real-life antics when it doesn't pertain to either the subject or the game itself.

Remove ads