• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sneak & multiple attack

Winternight

First Post
Taken from the smackdown threat
jeremy said:
Unfortunately, I believe elemental orb spells as well as flame arrows and other spells that are more than one attack in a single spell only allow sneak attack damage on the first attack. So the first spell of 10 orbs would have 6d6 sneak attack, as would the second, for 12.

It's like shuriken. You only get sneak attack, point blank shot, weapon specialization, etc. to damage on one of the three. Though I always liked the shotgun feel of a rogue with two fistfulls of darts (or acid orbs, or charged playing cards) doing 6d6 sneak attack with every one. But Skip thought that was a little unbalanced.
err.
I always thougt sneak is on all your attacks.
So if you invisible (not improved!)
Sneak one, you are hasted and have normally 2 attacks/ round
You'd do:
Round0: 3 attacks + 3 * sneak damage (getting visible)
round1: winning intiative: also 3 attacks + 3 * sneak damage (due to flat footed)
round2: run like hell, cause if oponent isn`t down yet after you are @ the wrong place the wrong time.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Winternight said:
Taken from the smackdown threat

err.
I always thougt sneak is on all your attacks.
So if you invisible (not improved!)
Sneak one, you are hasted and have normally 2 attacks/ round
You'd do:
Round0: 3 attacks + 3 * sneak damage (getting visible)
round1: winning intiative: also 3 attacks + 3 * sneak damage (due to flat footed)
round2: run like hell, cause if oponent isn`t down yet after you are @ the wrong place the wrong time.

The distinction I'm seeing here, based on what you quoted from the smackdown thread, is what you're attacking with using a single attack roll. You get to apply your sneak attack bonus, essentially, each time the conditions apply and once for each attack roll you make. Throwing a fistfull of shuriken may be done with a single attack roll even though multiple shuriken hit and do damage. You get to apply your sneak attack bonus only ONCE for that attack however. But, if you normally got > 1 attack per round and attacked with two fistfulls of shuriken, you'd get your sneak attack damage on that 2nd fistful as well as the first.
And I think that's going on with the spells listed two. If you make a single attack roll, you get a single use of the sneak attack bonus.

At least that's how I've understood it.

Voadam

Legend
The orb and scorching ray spells allow separate attack rolls. They can also target separate opponents with different rays from the same spell.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads