Sneaky Mage: Party Role and Optimization

moritheil

First Post
Kavok said:
If your going beguiler check this out:

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=805782

I don't know if its been posted yet.

Thanks! It's got a few errors (some of which are corrected in the subsequent commentary), and some of which, like the "worshippers of Shar must be evil" gaffe, don't seem to have been*, but the item list is nice. :D It so happens that I already spent all my gold on items that are included on that list, so I guess great minds think alike. ;)

*Clerics of Shar need to be within 1 step of her alignment. Worshippers of a patron can be of any alignment; they just won't be granted spells.

eamon said:
Yeah, I really like the class, myself. I also like how well it is suited for a party in which no one wants to play a rogue.

I've found it's a decent replacement for a rogue. The difference is mainly that a rogue's contribution to combat is swift and decisive (huge damage output in the opening round) whereas a beguiler's is more moderated and steady.

moritheil

First Post
Interestingly enough, I note that no one in the two CO threads linked has espoused taking Phantasmal Killer as a beguiler. Does anyone have a reason why not? I know it's sub-optimal if you're in a group (since delaying someone for 4+ rounds is almost as good as killing them, and you can already do that with other spells) but it strikes me as very handy for solo missions.

hong

WotC's bitch
moritheil said:
Interestingly enough, I note that no one in the two CO threads linked has espoused taking Phantasmal Killer as a beguiler. Does anyone have a reason why not? I know it's sub-optimal if you're in a group (since delaying someone for 4+ rounds is almost as good as killing them, and you can already do that with other spells) but it strikes me as very handy for solo missions.
Solo farming mobs is so videogamey.

moritheil

First Post
hong said:
Solo farming mobs is so videogamey.

But sometimes necessary, when you need to bust your allies out of jail or something. There are also the solo campaigns on the boards I could point you to, of course.

If you don't like it, I guess you shouldn't play it. I honestly don't see why "videogamey" constitutes a valid complaint.

Is there a cost-benefit analysis that gives a reason for one to not take phantasmal killer?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
moritheil said:
Interestingly enough, I note that no one in the two CO threads linked has espoused taking Phantasmal Killer as a beguiler. Does anyone have a reason why not?
Because it sucks?

For an Illusionist, who can switch out his spells every day, it's okay -- he may know he'll be fighting Rogues on a particular day, so he'll prep some pk.

Cheers, -- N

moritheil

First Post
Nifft said:
Because it sucks?

For an Illusionist, who can switch out his spells every day, it's okay -- he may know he'll be fighting Rogues on a particular day, so he'll prep some pk.

Cheers, -- N

Isn't it the earliest possible save-or-die spell? I know it's not as good as the later ones, but this is the first time I've been told it sucks. The context I'm coming from here is that you need to maximize your save DCs anyhow as a beguiler.

And the beguiler doesn't have to prepare any spells, so doesn't he have the same flexibility?

Remove ads