So even the brain dead can graduate grade school

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a big fluff piece on the news last night. Last December a girl was hit by stray bullets from a driveby and was rendered brain dead. The parents struggled against the doctors to have her kept alive.

The schools made a big fuss about how the girl would have graduated. It seemed so ridiculously pathetic and meaningless. "We're honoring her." How can the girl graduate without finishing the work? And in 6 years, will she get to graduate high school without taking a single class?
It might make the parents feel better, but is this really meaningful?
Or am I just cold, heartless, and insensitive?
Why does it bother you so much?

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Let's simplify here.

Item 1: award of achievement without merit.
Item 2: tv news fluff reporting

Item 1 a problem? debatable.
Item 2 a problem? absolutely

I might have had fewer problems with item 1, if not for item 2

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I am totally and completely okay with the news talking about humans being good to other humans. Because that's much more what my life is about.

Yes, I'm interested in reading politics, philosophy, economics, and (to a lesser degree) science. But I'm very interested in how people can be good to one another. That's so much more representative of my personal life than any article about politics, economics, or science.

I am totally and completely okay with the news talking about humans being good to other humans. Because that's much more what my life is about.

Yes, I'm interested in reading politics, philosophy, economics, and (to a lesser degree) science. But I'm very interested in how people can be good to one another. That's so much more representative of my personal life than any article about politics, economics, or science.

Don't forget it also gives hope that the human race isn't filled only with jerky jerkfaces...As Samwise Gamgee said “There is some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for.” and fluff pieces prove that IMO

sabrinathecat

Explorer
"Which makes him what I'd like to call 'One of Bart's People'."

One reason it all rang so false was that every kid interviewed in the piece all said the same thing, like they'd been taught a catch phrase about "honoring her" without being told or taught what it means.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
someone who thinks (insert political activity) is more newsworthy and or important? And that maybe the news should have just let this be something private instead of filling up time with a tear-jerker fluff piece?

Considering the news generally follows the mantra "if it bleeds, it leads," having a human interest piece keeps the news from being a constant drag. Plus, it reminds us how we're supposed to value humane sentiments like compassion. So, yes it is newsworthy and it is important.

sabrinathecat said:
Or am I just cold, heartless, and insensitive?

Apparently.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Let's simplify here.

Item 1: award of achievement without merit.
Item 2: tv news fluff reporting

Item 1 a problem? debatable.
Item 2 a problem? absolutely

I might have had fewer problems with item 1, if not for item 2

1) the award is honorary, not merit based, and everyone understands this. Like a funeral, this was less about the "honoree" and more about the emotional state of the family and friends of the "honoree". It is a ceremonial healing of wounds within the community.

2) to paraphrase, good must not only be done, it must be seen to be done. Using a little airtime on the news or column space in a periodical to show humans tending to the emotional needs of others reveals a good thing to those beyond the immediate scope of the event.

dante_121

Explorer

One reason it all rang so false was that every kid interviewed in the piece all said the same thing, like they'd been taught a catch phrase about "honoring her" without being told or taught what it means.

I think there are better things to get morally outraged about mate, like murder rates, starving children etc. maybe direct your outrage to things like that instead of a dead child getting an honorary high school diploma.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer

Most catchphrases exist to obviate the need for any sort of critical thinking.

I think you are really missing the point, though: this isn't about bestowing a meaningless award on someone who is not worthy of it - I would point you to the syncronised and choreographed applause at your State of the Union for examples of displays of utter emptiness - but offering some sort of comfort to the parents in a culturally-appropriate way.

And it's not like they're handing out a free PhD: this is just a grade school certificate.

As for modern media, I am Australian so I must apologise for Rupert Murdoch. Then again, he's a US citizen now. He's your problem. :)

Janx

Hero
So, you don't think it invalidates or diminishes the accomplishments of those who did the work and put in the efforts?

I'm pretty sure the non-dead kids do not feel like they have been shown up by the dead kid. Most kids get the fact that the dead kid and retarded kids aren't on stage for the same reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads