Paizo So how are P2 and Starfinder doing?

Mercurius

Legend
I'm sure I could find my answer from scouring the threads, but thought I'd just cut to the chase. I haven't been paying much attention to the Paizo neck of the woods since P2 came out, almost a year ago now, but am wondering how it has settled in with the community. What I remember is that there were mixed feelings: some embraced the change, others were unhappy. What is the temperature now? And how is Starfinder faring, a few years in?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm sure I could find my answer from scouring the threads, but thought I'd just cut to the chase. I haven't been paying much attention to the Paizo neck of the woods since P2 came out, almost a year ago now, but am wondering how it has settled in with the community. What I remember is that there were mixed feelings: some embraced the change, others were unhappy. What is the temperature now? And how is Starfinder faring, a few years in?

Commercially, pretty well. PF2 is still not caught up with PF1 in VTT games being played. Reception is fairly muted, but folks are enjoying both.

Of the two most prolific Pathfinder GMs in my area, one is still running PF1 exclusively, while the other runs PF2 alternating with various other systems like Genesys and Scion.

Retreater

Legend
For the table I'm running, PF2 is going great. Combats are quick, exciting, and dangerous. I'd prefer better integration on Roll20 (like a workable Charactermancer), but we're having a blast. The players are excited about finding gold to spend on purchasing magical items and repairing their stronghold. Also, with the increase in effectiveness of non-magical healing, they can pretty much get to full health during any time we're in exploration mode (so during the equivalent of a D&D 5e short rest, all characters can get to full HP without expending any resources).

MaskedGuy

Explorer
I'm kinda in problem of running to 1e campaigns and having already decided with party two other 1e campaigns to run after those :p so gonna take awhile before I can schedule 2e campaign... At least there will be time for entire extinction curse to be released since I only run aps after I've read all six books

willrali

Explorer
I was initially very skeptical of Pathfinder 2, and an initial read left me cold. But I’ve since actually played and run it... and it’s frankly fabulous. I can tell it was designed and tested by people who really knew what they were doing.

In my community it’s doing fine. People were initially very wary of Pathfinder’s enormity and giant learning curve, but P2 has caught on as a slick and fast game with folks who want more options than 5e. Still doesn’t approach 5e’s popularity though.

I’ve just started getting into starfinder and it’s a lot of fun too. Again, nothing like the popularity of 5e, but it’s a sci-fantasy setting and those are always less popular in my experience.

Remove ads