• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So how screwed are we?

Fallenibilis

First Post
In the last session me and my primary group ended mid battle with us pited against a varriant of the green dragon (huged sized) our DM created and from what we can tell it severally tainted.

Anyway heres the break down of the party:
7 rogue/2 fighter
6 fighter/3 scout
9 Druid
3 Wizard/3 Archivist/3 Mystic Theurge (me and yes i know unoptimised)
9 Battle Sorcerer

Everyone is about half health except out rogue who is knocked out the dragon has taken maybe 100 points of damage (doesn't seem to care really) and recently sprouted tentacles and everyone started penalties on their attack rolls.

So what im wondering how good are our chances (never actually fought a dragon before)? And does anyone have advice on saving our asses?

Thanks ahead of time,
Fallenibilis

Dandu

First Post
What are your party's capabilities: Can you stick the dragon in place, blind it, or do anything that might give you a tactical advantage?

Fallenibilis

First Post
Well the biggest problem is that we wern't prepared at all it kinda just showed up at the door behind us, i managed to hit it with a spell that entagles it with ice but it broke out, and that was really the only tactile spell we had prepared... not the smartest move on our part but we were set up to deal with other things for the day. (Dismantling a lab being used to create Flesh Golems run by a bunch of goblins)

Other problem is that we haven't really been able to get most of our spells past its SR.

Last edited:

Standard Dragon back up plan. Immediately fall down and worship it and proclaim that Tiamat sent you to test its strength and that you bring good tidings. The great Tiamat is pleased with its strength and you are hear to serve it.

Assuming it spares you, use this time to prepare a new attack or start looking for escape.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Is it flying? It's worse if it's flying.

Sprouting tentacles is usually a bad sign...

Grogg or Samloyal's plans might be your best options.

Can anyone do any serious damage if they get swallowed? Got a Folding Boat or other expanding item on hand?

What spells do you all have left? What are your other resources? Do you have a wheel barrow and a holocaust cloak?

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
In the last session me and my primary group ended mid battle with us pited against a varriant of the green dragon (huged sized) our DM created and from what we can tell it severally tainted.

Anyway heres the break down of the party:
7 rogue/2 fighter
6 fighter/3 scout
9 Druid
3 Wizard/3 Archivist/3 Mystic Theurge (me and yes i know unoptimised)
9 Battle Sorcerer

Everyone is about half health except out rogue who is knocked out the dragon has taken maybe 100 points of damage (doesn't seem to care really) and recently sprouted tentacles and everyone started penalties on their attack rolls.

So what im wondering how good are our chances (never actually fought a dragon before)? And does anyone have advice on saving our asses?

Thanks ahead of time,
Fallenibilis
Throw the halfling? ;) Er, you do have a halfling to throw, don't you?

Make sure you're fighting it in a place where it cannot fly, or otherwise limit its flight ability. Look at your terrain and see if there's a way you could lure it into a trap or collapse a cavern/building on its head. Maybe there's something in the laboratory that you could use to your advantage? A flesh golem you could control? Or a vat of acid you could overturn?

Also, your sorcerer and druid should have some interesting tricks up their sleeve depending on what spells they have prepared.

Empirate

First Post
Sounds like a Pseudonatural Adult Green Dragon to me (the first age category where it'd be Huge; any older and you're toast whatever you do).

If you've already taken 100 HP off it, you're halfway there. Keep whacking, it'll go down eventually. The way this sounds, flight is not a problem (there was a door mentioned, I believe?). The dragon can do good damage, but unless your ACs are really bad so it can Power Attack like crazy, it's unlikely to one-shot any of you.

What's more important is the kind of resources you've got left. Have you taken significant damage? Are you confident you can keep up the fight for at least as long as it has been raging? Is your primary damage dealer still up and capable of going? Have you taken the brunt of the dragon's breath weapon yet (rather nasty at 12d6 acid in a cone)? What do your remaining spells look like - anything to buy a round, debuff the dragon so that it matters (blinding is good; its saves will be hard to overcome, though), heal and/or buff the damage dealer(s), and most importantly, get away if things start to go really sour?

finnie

First Post
Sounds like a Pseudonatural Adult Green Dragon to me (the first age category where it'd be Huge; any older and you're toast whatever you do).

If you've already taken 100 HP off it, you're halfway there. Keep whacking, it'll go down eventually. The way this sounds, flight is not a problem (there was a door mentioned, I believe?). The dragon can do good damage, but unless your ACs are really bad so it can Power Attack like crazy, it's unlikely to one-shot any of you.

What's more important is the kind of resources you've got left. Have you taken significant damage? Are you confident you can keep up the fight for at least as long as it has been raging? Is your primary damage dealer still up and capable of going? Have you taken the brunt of the dragon's breath weapon yet (rather nasty at 12d6 acid in a cone)? What do your remaining spells look like - anything to buy a round, debuff the dragon so that it matters (blinding is good; its saves will be hard to overcome, though), heal and/or buff the damage dealer(s), and most importantly, get away if things start to go really sour?

Sadly, Being optimistic about this fight, the 100 points that we have done to it, is actually like 80 points really. The Druid (Me) has barely any spells left, and most of them had to be converted into healing spells, (thanks to the feat Spontaneous Healer) just to make sure that everyone is still standing. Our Battle Sorcerer is polymorphed into Hydra and for some reason cant seem to hit the dragon at all, and if he were to change back and try to hit it with some of its spells, he would die from the Hit point change. Our main hitter/damage dealer is barely standing, and everyone else is a little less than half health.

As to the AC problem, unfortunately we are extremely under-wealth in this campaign, and we dont have the best AC (Our Base AC's range from 13-18 for the party). We also Don't have any debuffs prepared or we can use, and we cant seem to get past its SR to do any decent kind of damage with spells.

Our last problem is this. While running can help us at first, and will save us for maybe a hour or two, since we are stick in the very bottom layers of this dragon's lair, that is apparently filled with flesh golems, and goblins. If we try to rest and recover ourselves to try and either leave or get out, we will most likely get ambushed by the dragon or the goblins, that work for him (Among them is a high level caster who was able to dispel our rope trick, which is where we tend to do most of our sleeping). So, the only thing that really for sure guarantees our safety is really killing this dragon, and that seems to be slowly sliding out of our grasp.

I hope this clears up any questions, or concerns as to what the situation is like a little bit more.

Please and thanks for any help!

Remove ads