D&D 5E So...Volo, Xanathar...who's next?

epithet

Explorer
Acererak's Guide to the Planes, featuring a directory of some of the multiverse's best places to either become fabulously wealthy or have your soul devoured. Come for the treasure, stay for the horrific death!

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
Yoou know what? id like to see "The Life and Times of Tasslehoff Burrfoot" with additional commentary by the other heroes of the lance, especially Flint Fireforge, and Tanis Half Elven, let it be our guide to krynn.

Sent from my SM-G930V using EN World mobile app

DwynnsPlace

First Post
LOL LOL ROTFLMAO

Beholders reproduce by budding sprouts lol.

OK OK Maybe not. lol

Volo's Guide and Xanathar have been around for decades.
Just reintroducing old material with new modifications, alterations
and new material for the newer gaming generation.

People so forget where the old games went and the new games came from.

Peace

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I could see that as well, but I think that would undervalue the things you could put into a Van Richten's book. I'd make it more broadly based than just undead. Something like Van Richten's Guide to Monster Hunting.

Apart from the charm and overall pleasant presentation of the AD&D 2e Van Richten's Guides (and to a slightly lesser extent the 3e ones penned by his nieces), one of my favorite things about those books is how they offer a great deal of inspiration and options for making each monster (whether fiend, spirit, golem, therianthrope or undead) unique and memorable. Also notable is their presentation of how monster abilities can be used to invoke fear, and impotence, and how monster abilities tie to various emotional and psychological elements like rage, lust, etc.

Make the book's focus on creating memorable and awesome individuals from basic Monster Manual entries, with examples (perhaps in the form of a couple Ravenloft Darklords). Then throw in some monster hunting subclasses and organizations, and some magic items geared toward slaying specific types of monsters (especially the classic movie monsters of ghosts, vampires, mummies, golems, werebeasts, etc.), and some monster-themed backgrounds (like a former monster who was cured, or someone who's the target of a monster's obsession like a bride of dracula kind of thing) and call it a day.

I'd buy the heck out of that book.

Especially if one of the examples was Jacqueline Renier. Love her.

Best suggestion in thread.

Wizards take my money!!!

IchneumonWasp

Explorer
Personally, I'd be interested in a future book similar to the old Mysteries of the Moon Sea for Forgotten Realms. I loved the structure of this one, it didn't have 1 over-arching campaign, but it presented different locations and different mini-plots and adventures.

phantomK9

Explorer
Forget the planes and the fancy fourth-tier nonsense, I want a down-to-earth guide to Realms as experienced by the people living in it.

Then you should check out Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster's Forgotten Realms.
It was put out a little bit before 5e became a thing and created by Ed Greenwood himself (I think in response to what they did to his world in 4e). Is is 100% fluff, no rules at all. It is filled with exactly the thing you are looking for.

Remove ads