D&D 5E So Was That Z Fellow right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Again, he had to burn two feats. Yup, he's dealing more damage, but, so what? The other guy has two feats to be able to do other stuff. So what? Great he's dealing another 12 damage per round. Can't do anything else. So much for the whole "fighters can do out of combat stuff with their bonus feats". That's out of the window. Not doing that until 12th.

Never minding the bonuses that other classes have accrued by this point. Yeah, +12 DPR is totally dominating when you've got casters with 5th level spells by this point.

1. What the heck does a caster have to do with anything?
2. Please tell me what other 2 feats would be worth the trade off to do the DPR of another character

Nick Hatfield

First Post
2. Please tell me what other 2 feats would be worth the trade off to do the DPR of another character

1. He's pointing out that white room DPR doesn't mean anything when the caster ends combat on turn 1.

2. Whatever you want? If you take Actor and Prodigy you are going to be doing 12 less DPR, but maybe you don't care and want to have fun with your character?

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
DPR isn't the only thing in the game: skill feats might be far more useful, depending on game.

FrogReaver

1. He's pointing out that white room DPR doesn't mean anything when the caster ends combat on turn 1.

2. Whatever you want? If you take Actor and Prodigy you are going to be doing 12 less DPR, but maybe you don't care and want to have fun with your character?

1. I still can't say I get bringing up caster's. Is it the notion that caster's are so strong in 5e that anything that isn't a caster obviously couldn't be overpowered?

2. I would much encourage people to take feats to maximize fun instead of DPR. That said, from an optimization standpoint, those feats clearly aren't doing that much for the fighter.

FrogReaver

DPR isn't the only thing in the game: skill feats might be far more useful, depending on game.

How about in a typical game? I mean I can set anything up to be the best thing ever in a campaign I specifically tailor toward one specific thing.

Hussar

Legend
I was told repeatedly that fighters would take out of combat feats in order to be able to contribute meaningfully out of combat. But, if I focus on combat, then my fighter is better at fighting than other classes. Isn't that the way it's supposed to work? 12 damage per round isn't going to break anything (or does DPR mean per hit?).

I mean, my 6th level party is averaging a bit more than 100 points of damage per round (with no casters). Averaging 112 isn't going to make any difference.

FrogReaver

I was told repeatedly that fighters would take out of combat feats in order to be able to contribute meaningfully out of combat. But, if I focus on combat, then my fighter is better at fighting than other classes. Isn't that the way it's supposed to work? 12 damage per round isn't going to break anything (or does DPR mean per hit?).

I mean, my 6th level party is averaging a bit more than 100 points of damage per round (with no casters). Averaging 112 isn't going to make any difference.

How many players are in your 6th level party?

FrogReaver

[MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION]

We are talking about DPR vs 20 ac. Look at 15 AC it's a 25 DPR difference. Heck if we look at 11 AC it's a +32 DPR increase from the baseline fighter I described. I don't think you have a good handle on damage and DPR and what it means and what affects it. You just see a number you think sounds low and go its only 12 DPR. Well yes, against 20 AC 12 DPR is a very big deal. Do you think +25 DPR against 15 ac sounds more impressive? I don't but that's because I get how it works and ties together.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
How about in a typical game? I mean I can set anything up to be the best thing ever in a campaign I specifically tailor toward one specific thing.
In a typical game, apparently, the Warlock doesn't have Eldritch Blast most of the time: those Beyond statistics are fascinating, again, as to what "typical" entails.

FrogReaver

In a typical game, apparently, the Warlock doesn't have Eldritch Blast most of the time: those Beyond statistics are fascinating, again, as to what "typical" entails.

People find eldritch blast boring lol. I do even though it's the more optimal choice most of the time. A warlock wielding weapons is just much cooler than one going pew pew pew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads