D&D 5E So Was That Z Fellow right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Stopped reading there.

I was gonna post the exact same thing lol.

"Let me pat myself on the back about how awesome I am while disparaging this mystery group that doesn't actually exist and I won't ever be able to actually provide links to such people who have this belief."

Awfully convenient.

I think I'm going to post a thread about how I was totally right way back in 2012, when I disagreed with those people who said that WotC was going to take away all of their 4e books when 5e came out.... :rolleyes

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Eh, seems like a self congratulatory exercise in confirmation bias. In other words, you left out all the other things you complained about that no one else has.

Oofta

Legend
In short? No.

Despite the whining and gnashing of teeth, 5E is the most popular RPG out there right now and is arguably encroaching on the heydays of TSR. Are there a few blemishes? Sure. They are also easily removed by a DM if they want.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Oh jeez I got sucked back in.

If I recall, Zardnar claimed that he "broke" 5e by "discovering" these things. I remember Crossbow Expert and Bless in particular.

First of all, he didn't discover doodly. He just made a big fuss on this particular forum about it.

Second, the game ain't broken. Yes, there are some things in the game that are more powerful than others.

But you know what? I go to various FLGS's and play in AL, and the vast majority of characters are not using Crossbows or Polearms or using all their spell slots to cast bless. And when some do, everybody still has fun.

What exactly is broken?

So, to answer your question: no. That Z fellow was correct in his observations, although slightly hysterical about it, but wrong in his conclusions. The sky did not fall.

Correct they do not. Those builds are mostly white room builds for the forums, assuming optimal conditions and almost no out of combat or role play utility. Essentially one trick ponies.

Bless is very good. But very few players want to sit there concentrating on Bless every combat, they want to do something else. Bless is really good for me in my home game with my 11 and 9 year where I am the DM and the support Healer cleric and the support controller wizard so they can be the focus. I can set it and forget it, they can hit more with their PCs.

The game is at least %90 there, what’s better out there?

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Is it that time of the month again where Zard pats himself on the back and demands everyone else pat him on the back to?

Must be a day of the week ending in "ay".

Seriously unnecessary jerk-tone to your response; why do you care so much to come to this thread and post like this?

You have to understand the context. If his reply were to almost anyone else you'd be right. But in the context of posting that reply to Zard, after he does this same kind of post (with slightly different wording each time) yet again, it's an appropriate response. Give it some time and after you see Zard do this same thing pretty much every month for years, on multiple message boards, you might also want to react like that.

Mind you, I like Zard. He plays (or did play) the game a whole lot. He shared his experiences, and it was valuable to see. But, for some reason he really enjoys people paying attention to him (frequently posting threads with titles intended to get a negative outraged reaction), and patting him on the back and being told he was right and others were wrong (like this one). Once or twice, nobody would care. But he long ago exceeded the limit where he should be free from some pointed push-back over it.

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
"Hmmm...no one has made a post telling me how right I was yet. I better fix that. These people would be lost without me."

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Seriously unnecessary jerk-tone to your response; why do you care so much to come to this thread and post like this?

Because I like pointing out when people on the boards here are acting silly. And someone starting a thread that basically says "Hey, you know all that stuff I said three years ago? Was I right or was I right? Huh? Huh?!?" is basically asking for people to congratulate him for being so smart.

If he wants that pat on the head, he should just come right out and ask for it.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
1. Some feats are OP, Sharpshooter and Great Weapon Fighter would be on this list, I would probably add healer feat these days.

2. Feats in general break the game (in the PCs favour). Big offenders here are warcaster, resilient: con, and healer as they tens to negate the concentration mechanic and pacing of the gamer.

Feats are optional rules. It should be obvious the DM needs to account for these "special capabilities" when designing challenges.

3. Dex is stupidly OP unless feats are used (assuming you are melee, there is still sharpshooter).

Strength-based exploration challenges sort that out. I had an all Dex-based party really struggle with that sort of thing. They had to spend a lot of resources to achieve success.

Also, variant encumbrance rules balances this out. But I only use those rules chiefly for dungeon-crawling games.

4. Bless was OP/broken.

I'm not seeing it. It's popular, but it doesn't always work, plus it's Concentration. Smack the cleric or paladin enough and it'll go away.

5. The encounter guidelines did not work that well past level 10 or so (or 7 perhaps).

I haven't had any issues with them.

6. High level 5E was stupidly easy even ignoring the encounter guidelines with combats X5 deadly.

I haven't played past 14th-level, but at that level we were still being challenged. And these PCs had lots of magic items.

So here we are 3 years later, was I right, wrong somewhere in the middle?

I would say you may be right about your game. But clearly we don't play the same kind of game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads