• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So what about those staves?

Laurel

First Post
Xath said:
Healing (Greater): This white ash staff, with inlaid golden runes, allows use of the following spells:
  • Cure Moderate Wounds, Mass (1 charge)
  • Heal (2 charges)
  • Greater Restoration (4 charges)
Strong Conjunction; CL 15th; Craft Staff, heal, mass cure moderate wounds, greater restoration; Price 118,850gp

Cost to create: 44,100 (43,500 + 600)
XP cost: 9730 XP (3,480 + 6,250)
Time taken: 87 days.
Market price: 118,850 (87,000 + 600 + 6,250*5)

I'm still up for us getting this one.

It will take people out of combat for little time, but still be a massive help. It would also let us save those higher spells for killing and destroying.

Justice's Positive Energy Burst is not a spell and will heal 1d6/Solaris level. It's no 250, but it's better than nothing.

I'm still in for it if we deem it the only way to achieve the goal of better healing... but the scrolls are cheaper and will be use-able by the same people that would be able to use the staff.

And - like Kennon said earlier - we're nearing the end - we need to just have fun and be aware of the fact that if we spend the gold, it may rarely (never?) get used. Important to take into account his warnings/cautions in something like this...

Laurel

First Post
What else are we going to spend it on.... If we don't use it, so what. I don't see how everyone beefing up there items to the max is more or less fun then having one staff of healing and some other stuff that individually we may want.

Laurel said:
What else are we going to spend it on.... If we don't use it, so what. I don't see how everyone beefing up there items to the max is more or less fun then having one staff of healing and some other stuff that individually we may want.
Mercinaries? Cannons? Boats? Scrolls? A throne for Jaine? Hand-held explosives for everyone? Comission the dwarves to make a bizarre drake-powder powered tank? A wicked cool magic item that would allow us to cast Hallow on half of the world?

There's LOTS of options. :)

The conclusion that I have (and I think Kennon has) arrived at is that we can do everything that the staff would do in a much less expensive fashion... and there's always things to spend more money on. Might as well be at least a little conservative.

Laurel

First Post
Yes there are millions of things we could spend the gold on inlcuding making sure everyone sleeps in fresh rose petals each night. But are any of them better then the staff of healing? Do any of those millions of things make more sense then the staff healing?
If yes, offer it up as a different option.

Right now we are looking at getting the staff of healing with some extra gold or just splitting more dough between the group for personal items.

If you are asking for the latter -the don't get the staff just split up more money- then say that.
If you are for just holding all the gold in reserve and we vote as a group on what advancments we are getting or not and hold all the rest of the gold say that. If it's something else say that.... but it would be helpful to me at least to know your thoughts more then just "not the staff opinion" (your being Kennon and Liz's thoughts).

We already have to keep x out for payment on the continued contingency for the mace and amulet which is worth it. But with the new load of gold that doesn't put a huge dent in things.

And the staff isn't because we can't do them, it's that the staff can do them quicker and more efficently then we can. Would you have Justice stand out from battle for more then four rounds trying to heal someone back up, or would you rather have the staff come out and with one action bring everyone up to total hitpoints, or at the very least half thier HP total.

And we all have stuff that we got at some point or started with that we don't use. Most of that is still hanging around. So far no problems there, and so far as I know not much has been sold back into the group collection if it isn't being used.

The_Universe

First Post
My specific opinion is that you'd be better served with a couple of scrolls with the abilities the staff has, at this point, than with getting the staff itself. The Use Magic Device DC is practically the same, it has the same drawbacks, and you're much more likely to actually use a half-dozen scrolls of varying types than you are 50 charges of the greater staff of healing.

You could pour that money into any number of things, including: improving siege weaponry, helping trade, acquiring a few specific combat items (like something for Archon's desire to be better at ranged combat), hire more mercenaries, build a magic-tank-thing, better equip some of your other forces, make a super weapon, build a stronghold, get L'Aurel a better AC, get Xath some more attack prowess, hire some spies, hire low level adventurers to do your dirty work, buy a ship, buy a fleet, arm the fleet, build a wall, create patrols, train patrols, build a portal, etc.

There's no shortage of uses for money - I won't deny that a staff would be useful. But it may not be fun, which is kinda what I'm going for.

Laurel

First Post
The_Universe said:
My specific opinion is that you'd be better served with a couple of scrolls with the abilities the staff has, at this point, than with getting the staff itself. The Use Magic Device DC is practically the same, it has the same drawbacks, and you're much more likely to actually use a half-dozen scrolls of varying types than you are 50 charges of the greater staff of healing.

You could pour that money into any number of things, including: improving siege weaponry, helping trade, acquiring a few specific combat items (like something for Archon's desire to be better at ranged combat), hire more mercenaries, build a magic-tank-thing, better equip some of your other forces, make a super weapon, build a stronghold, get L'Aurel a better AC, get Xath some more attack prowess, hire some spies, hire low level adventurers to do your dirty work, buy a ship, buy a fleet, arm the fleet, build a wall, create patrols, train patrols, build a portal, etc.

There's no shortage of uses for money - I won't deny that a staff would be useful. But it may not be fun, which is kinda what I'm going for.
Okay, again I know there are lots of things we can do with the money.

So, what does everyone feel is more fun?

If simply splitting the money and nixing the staff is what majority wants then I'm fine with it and I'm not going to loose sleep or anything :)

Personally I don't see how the staff wouldn't be fun and cool, but differences of opinion.

If you and Liz feel that the staff wouldn't be a fun addition okay, but I think it could be fun. Just a different take on it.

Remove ads