• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So what about those staves?

Like I was saying in the other thread... you know the one that isn't as cool as this one: ;)

We need to assess whether or not we can afford to dispense the necessary magic to make those staves. Right now, we have to assume that our high-ish level spell casters (and our low level casters, for that matter) are a wee on the busy side. The Phoenix Kingdom is no longer just on the defense - we have taken land and claimed part of our kingdom. Everyone that is amongst our ranks is fighting a war...

With that in mind - do we think we can afford to have the staves made? If we do, I say go for it. But, I know very little about the subject of making magical items... just something I think should be thought about. :)

Xath

Moder-gator
Nothing says we have to buy the staves from our own magic users. Even though he's on our side, the head of the Phoenix Kingdom spy network still has some networking for item purchase...if you don't mind where your stuff comes from.

And before we go all high and mighty about this, keep in mind that at least one of our bags of holding has a bright blue star on it. As do many of our other magical items.

Xath said:
And before we go all high and mighty about this, keep in mind that at least one of our bags of holding has a bright blue star on it. As do many of our other magical items.

I don't think anyone was getting high and mighty - nor do I think they will. :)

As I said - I don't know a lot about it, so I am *asking* for input. I didn't even say anything about purchasing from other sources.

However, my concerns here are two fold: first, even things with a big blue star are going to be hard to come by because he's fighting the war, too; second, how would we go about purchasing from another non-rebel aligned source without drawing attention to what we're having made? KoA isn't exactly a world with magic item shops and peddlers of questionable legality - especially considering the current situation. Our spy network may be useful, but is it so far-reaching that we can engage in activity that would almost indefinately draw the attention of authorities we may not want our spies dealing with?

Xath

Moder-gator
But we know there are mages (like Cawys) who keep stocks of magic items in their secret basement, along with some....other commodities. I don't expect that Cawys was the Bluestar's only dealer.

We have 2-3 contacts in every major city and one in most villages/towns. Someone should be able to figure out if there's a dealer.

Also, once this current campaign is done (not the Campaign, but the march on Prydein) we should take some time to solidify our newly found lands before immediately trying to acquire more. This could give some of our major spellcasters the break they need to focus on item creation.

The_Universe

First Post
Item creation is costly to all of the spellcasters, as it takes not only a great many monetary resources, but personal power (in the form of Experience Points), as well. As a result, there is a limit to how much any spellcaster can help you with item creation, no matter how much they might want to.

That being said, during less violent times, one could probably have such an item created with ease.

The_Universe said:
Item creation is costly to all of the spellcasters, as it takes not only a great many monetary resources, but personal power (in the form of Experience Points), as well. As a result, there is a limit to how much any spellcaster can help you with item creation, no matter how much they might want to.

That being said, during less violent times, one could probably have such an item created with ease.
But the question is - can we afford to do it now?

The_Universe

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
But the question is - can we afford to do it now?
Objectively, sure. It's possible to send a message back through the ring gate and have one started right now. The question is really if you're willing to delay whatever else that person may have been working on.

The_Universe said:
Objectively, sure. It's possible to send a message back through the ring gate and have one started right now. The question is really if you're willing to delay whatever else that person may have been working on.
That's exactly what I just asked. By "afford" I mean - what are we willing to give up in order to get the staves?

An excellent re-phrasing of my original question! :) ;)

Remove ads