• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, who's new?

Hawkshere

First Post
Um.., what's with the bumping of two year old threads? I'm not trying to be snooty, because this doesn't happen very often on this board, but in some online communities it's considered uncouth. The main objection being the confusion of newer readers, who weren't around for the original threadlife, and don't realize the discussion isn't current. Linking to (and quoting) the old thread is usually preferred. If a new thread relates to an old one, just post the link in the new thread. If you want to resurrect an old topic, create a new one and link/quoute the old thread in your post.

These are just suggestions, based on many years of observed netiquette. Please take them with a grain of salt, just like everything else you read online. ;)

cildarith

Explorer
...And there is a thread purge because....

*drum roll*

...there are too many threads.

In my (humble?) opinion, bumping an old, relavent thread is always preferable to creating a new one to cover the same topic, all over again.

Besides, confusing newbies is fun. :D

lkj

Hero
Been a consumate lurker since the days when Eric Noah was the Overmaster. Despite a recent lapse where I got myself a log in, this really hasn't changed.

AD

Arthur Tealeaf

First Post
I've been lurking around since the old Noah boards. I originally lurked about under the alias "Titius" but eventually changed it because people misread it as "Titus" without the "i"...

My biggest thread ever was the totally useless *bump* thread, where every post was a "bump". Yep, I feel ashamed to be the starter of that piece of messageboard-spam:p

Hawkshere

First Post
I've been reading this community site since the board-before-gamespy. I'd guess early 2000, offhand. (I know it was over six months before 3E released.)

If no one objects to the extreme bumping, then that's cool :) -- I've seen folks get flamed six ways from Sunday and served on toast in other communities where that sort of stuff happens a lot more often.

Personally, as a former web-board administrator, the really classic threads need to be properly archived (which Morrus has a system for) and everything else needs to kick the bit-can when its time is done. Topic churn is part of the Natural Order of Things. :cool:

Remove ads