Solo Campaign: Awkward or Awesome?

How do you feel about one-on-one role-playing?

• It's awesome

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • Same as a full group

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I would if I had to

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Kinda weird

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I would never

Votes: 2 5.3%

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
My best friend and I were roommates in high school (we went to a high school that included a dormitory), and after hours we would.play D&D one on one all the time. It was a great way to explore character development and teat out new ideas. It also helped both of us develop skills in thinking outide the mechanics.

I'm all in.

Last edited:

Arilyn

Hero
I love solo play. I find it less stressful to run because I don't have to worry about managing a group. It really lets you focus on a story with one protagonist which can be a lot of fun. As a solo player, the game is more intense. No room for sliding or slipping into the background. Spotlight is always on the one and only player.

No, the character is not going to die in the middle of the session, but there are a myriad of ways to create tension without killing beloved npcs. Since solo games tend to be more focussed, more story driven and more immediate, we've found a definite increase in tension and suspense.

Yaarel

He Mage
Heh, on the other hand, the death of my first character was honestly traumatic − and also happened during a solo.

I am glad 5e is more forgiving about death. It gives the DM more room to maneuver the story, and helps shore up the centrality of a character.

At some point, I plan to recontinue my first dead character. He was an Elf fighter wizard, and a werewolf killed him.

It would be nice if werewolf can become a playable 5e character, and resuscitate him, maybe as an Elf bladesinger lycanthrope about level 5.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I've done a lot of solo game with my sons using DnD or No Thank You Evil with either me or a son as a DM and it is always fun.

With my regular adult group, there are rare instances where only one person can make it. As the DM, if it makes sense based on where the party ended up last game, I will run a solo.

In one instance it was a heist game, where the person had to infiltrate an inner circle of elites, get invited to an open house with art (including the macguffin) on display, and latter steal the item.

In another, I ran the player through Forge of Fury in Tales from the Yawning Portal with a character that was much higher level than recommended for that adventure. It was challenging as a solo and was a surprisingly fun session for both of us.

I still prefer group play, but I don't shy away from solo (one player and one DM) games.

As for true solo play - just one player using solo-play mechanics instead of a DM...I've never been into that. Even solo card and board games don't interest me. I would rather read a book, watch a movie, or play a video game.

Jhaelen

First Post
From the player side, I find solo gaming leads to more decision paralysis as I've nobody to bounce ideas off of other than the DM.
I suppose that could happen. There's definitely a higher danger to get stuck, i.e. failing to come up with an idea how to make progress.

But it could also work in your favor. When playing with a (large) group it isn't uncommon that one or several characters find a clue, and the rest of the group isn't aware of it. I.e. as a whole they already have all the puzzle-pieces, but for one reason or another they don't realize it.
A single player will always be aware of the full picture.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Heh, on the other hand, the death of my first character was honestly traumatic − and also happened during a solo.
This leans toward my concern; can a solo game ruin a friendship? Deprecate someone? Traumatize someone?

A single player will always be aware of the full picture.
A bold statement. :devil:

I'm going to be running some pick-up one-shots that could easily be solo games. I guess we'll see if my opinion changes...

I think it's kinda fun as a supplement to regular campaign play; like when people can't show up, or when one player goes on a solo small side-quest, or something.

As a long term alternative to a group; eh, not really interested for the most part. With a truly brilliant player (or GM if I'm on the other side of the screen) I could do it, but even then it wouldn't be preferred.

Remove ads