Solo Campaign: Awkward or Awesome?

How do you feel about one-on-one role-playing?

• It's awesome

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • Same as a full group

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I would if I had to

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Kinda weird

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I would never

Votes: 2 5.3%

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
So maybe a follow-up question should be "What sorts of challenges or adventure structure lend themselves particular well to a duet game?"

Something that you would send James Bond to do, not the Marines.
Or "I have a unique skill set..." scenario

I see solo adventurers working well when …
- You have to be quiet and discrete (break into castle and steal / replace XYZ), a group would give itself away.
- The group was separated in the last session, bring in each part to do their thing until they get back to The Rendezvous Point.
- Jailbreak scenarios
- Lawrence of Arabia moves from place to place and visits different groups to set up local plans
- Side quest that is interesting to one player but not the others. Ex: Ranger will search for the Wizard's spell component roots & herbs in the forest
- Political juggling inspired by Cardinal Richelieu (Three Musketeers) -or- the Versailles court of King Louis XIV
- Player for whatever reason wants a combat-lite experience, more exploration and social interaction
- Personal revenge for previous slight / wrong. Need not be fatal; could be attack against reputation

Richards

Legend
I've DMed a couple of solo D&D adventures for my little brother back in the AD&D 1st Edition days. I also ran a series of short Gamma World adventures for him. The only solo campaign I ever ran was a Champions one for my son, but superheroes inherently work well for solo campaigning.

It's a nice change of pace once in a while, but I think overall I prefer the standard group.

Johnathan

Fluerdemal

Explorer
I've plenty of solo games and even a couple of campaigns and they can be fun - with the right player/DM. When they work well it's for pretty much all the reasons people have listed, when it goes poorly, it's often for the "burnout" that a couple of people have mentioned or because the player just gets completely stuck and neither they nor the DM knows how to get unstuck.

D.

Li Shenron

Legend
Some of the games I've been wanting to run lately are based on a one-player or solo-protagonist type of story, specifically, Metroid and Skyrim. However, I've never run a solo game/campaign, and the idea just seems awkward to me. Am I being unfair to the solo-campaign?

Nah, to me a solo campaign is nearly worthless. The whole point of a RPG for me is cooperative teamplay. No team, no game.

CRPG are another matter, in fact I normally don't even consider them RPG in the first place.

Retreater

Legend
My gf and I just recently started a solo adventure through Tomb of Annihilation, though she's controlling a whole party (though just role-playing one character). It's been pretty good so far, and moving at a fast pace.

Remove ads