[solo][pf]The Evil Eye

kinem

Adventurer
I'm considering starting a solo (one player, plus the DM) game for the new year. I think that format could allow for a faster and more involved game. OTOH it requires that we play well together over a long time.

If I feel that I find a good fit, I'll probably go with it. I won't accept the player right away - I'll see who's interested.

I intend the game to be high on role-playing. That doesn't necessarily mean low on combat :devil:

Rules: Pathfinder SRD (core or APG), 7th level, 1 PC

Scenario: The Evil Eye, a 2nd ed Ravenloft module.

This is quite an interesting classic module. The PC need not be from or start in Ravenloft; you can be from any game world.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
What if you get more than one good player for your duet (solo)?

Also kinem if you find time the LPF could use some experienced PF DM's to run some short to medium length adventures. We just got a stock full of new players and need some adventures for them.

Will watch this as I love me some RP.

HM

kinem

Adventurer
I prefer a good roleplayer who can post reliably, about 1/day, and can do it for the long haul.

I'll try to choose the best fit, but if I have to make an arbritrary choice, I will, since I want to try out the solo format.

kinem

Adventurer
kinem-albums-pbp-pics-picture1249-ee-cover.jpg

Have a happy new year, everyone!

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Well it seems I have more time than I thought if you are still thinking about this I am up for it.

LVL 7 guessing starting wealth is per Core? What about traits - 2 from the APG?

Stats bought? And if so how many points?

Also will this character be doing everything himself or will there be NPC's to help with certain things?

What's the break down you think of this? What Percent RP? What Percent Combat?

Will think of some concepts as I have time today and give you something to work with tonight. And then will do the crunch.

HM

kinem

Adventurer
OK, HM. This should be good.

What class are you thinking of? As this is a solo game, I'll try to accomodate the needs of the PC to some extent, but some classes would be an easier fit than others. In any case you should be able to deal with a variety of NPCs. A dumb barbarian or a lawful stupid paladin wouldn't fit, but I'm sure I didn't need to tell you that :)

I don't want to say much about allies except that it's possible, or say what % RP there will be except that it will be substantial. In part that's because there are some NPCs with complex agendas, and depending on how things play out, you might become enemies, allies, or neither, and that could change.

25 pt buy (PF), 23500 gp, 2 traits, core race. HP is max 1st level, average-rounded-up at other levels.

All material at d20pfsrd.com/ is fair game, including equipment from the Adventurer's Armory.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
What about playing using the gestalt rules?

That would give me two classes to help me along. I was thinking of a couple straight characters but they always came up lacking in certain areas that might be needed going in solo.

So far concept wise I have:

Sherlock Holmes style Inquisitor. He would have a little more force of personality along the mean side. If this went gestalt I would add Barbarian for his angry times.

A professor type Alchemist, who believes what he does is science not magic. He would carry around a kit like Johnny Depps character in Sleepy Hollow and whip things up from it. If he went gestalt I would add rogue for a little sneakiness.

A poet(Bard) by the name of Jiles Du'Lamir. He is out experiencing the world for inspiration and daydreams often. The gestalt version adds fighter as he has been fighting a lot of duels recently, do to his lack of manners and carousing.

An old school knight he would rather spend all day at mass than fight. A cleric with Nobility and Heroism domains. For gestalt he would take Cavalier I think or Paladin becoming the ultimate holy warrior.

As you can see my standard classes to start all have a way to heal the character but the classes themselves come up short in a lot of other areas (combat mostly).

HM

kinem

Adventurer
No gestalt. Of course no one person can do everything; that's part of the challenge. The PC isn't Superman and even Supes has a weakness. And if one guy is gestalt, than all the enemy NPCs should be too - in D&D (and I explicitly exclude 4e), PCs and NPCs use the same rules for the sake of simulationism.

Of those concepts, I like best either the Bard or the Inquisitor.

Basically you are just saying that you think the party will be too weak for the module at the given level. If the PC proves too weak early on, I'll either let you level up or find an ally.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Ok np let me see. Looking those over I think I will take the bard. It wouldn't be very much fun playing the bully all the time, and the detect alignment ability might make the game un-fun for you if I knew everyone's alignment and could pick the bad guys from the good right away.

So the bard it is. Can you give me the weekend to do some number crunching as I have so many options to chiuce from. Like deciding how many Favored clss points to use for extra spells known. :)

HM

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Ok np let me see. Looking those over I think I will take the bard. It wouldn't be very much fun playing the bully all the time, and the detect alignment ability might make the game un-fun for you if I knew everyone's alignment and could pick the bad guys from the good right away.

So the bard it is. Can you give me the weekend to do some number crunching as I have so many options to choose from. Like deciding how many Favored Class points to use for extra spells known. :)

HM

Remove ads