• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Solving the problem of initiative.

Lanliss

Explorer
I like it, fairly simple and I think it would he keep everyone involved. One question, how would you add in legendary actions? As a reaction or bonus action or 1 per action cost?

I feel like those would be free, since they are not considered a reaction by RAW. Makes them much more scary though, not sure if that is a good thing or bad...

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
I feel like those would be free, since they are not considered a reaction by RAW. Makes them much more scary though, not sure if that is a good thing or bad...
I would say good. Monsters with legendary actions should be scary. Almost every time I've run one or played against one, they've been killed within a couple of rounds due to focus-fire, even when there are major other threats everywhere.

Lanliss

Explorer
I would say good. Monsters with legendary actions should be scary. Almost every time I've run one or played against one, they've been killed within a couple of rounds due to focus-fire, even when there are major other threats everywhere.

What I meant was that it would be subjective. If someone thinks that legendary actions are scary enough as is, they would not want them much more deadly. I agree with you that it would be more fun.

The Human Target

Adventurer
Hackmaster has a different initiative system you might like. I goes something like this:

1) Everyone declares what they want to do. X = shoot arrow (speed 4), Y = swing sword (speed 3), Z=run run 50' (speed 1 per 10')

2) Z runs 30' (speed 3) and then Y swings its sword (speed 3)
3) X shoots the arrow (speed 4), Z runs another 10' (speed 3+1)
4) Z finishes the run (speed 3+2)

I don't know how that would mesh with the D&D action economy, but I always thought I would like to trying it with D&D

In my experience with stuff like that in RPGs and real time board/card games, that kind of system just ends up in shouting and confusion.

There's a reason everyone had to wait in line at the school cafeteria instead of everyone running around at once.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I have an App on my phone that I use to roll initiative every turn. Then I call out turns as they come up.

The goal of doing it this way is to make combat feel more frantic. I like the default way too but doing it this way works for the group I'm in.

dave2008

Legend

Hmm, I feel they would still need a speed. They don't need to be called "reaction," but I think at least a 1 per action seems appropriate. It also begs the question about extra attacks and action surges. It is a serious nerf for the fighter if it takes 12 seconds (24 w/ action surge) to complete his/her "round." However, it is a serious upgrade if give them extra attacks (like legendary actions) for free.

It seems a +1 in all instances makes sense:

Level 20 Fighter w/ action surge, 8 attacks in: 3+1+1+1+1+1+1+1=10 seconds
Level 20 Wizard casting 9th lvl spell: 1+9 = 10 seconds
Legendary Monster, multiattack + 3 legendary actions: 4(?)+1+1+1 = 7 seconds (still better than the PC)

Lanliss

Explorer
Hmm, I feel they would still need a speed. They don't need to be called "reaction," but I think at least a 1 per action seems appropriate. It also begs the question about extra attacks and action surges. It is a serious nerf for the fighter if it takes 12 seconds (24 w/ action surge) to complete his/her "round." However, it is a serious upgrade if give them extra attacks (like legendary actions) for free.

It seems a +1 in all instances makes sense:

Level 20 Fighter w/ action surge, 8 attacks in: 3+1+1+1+1+1+1+1=10 seconds
Level 20 Wizard casting 9th lvl spell: 1+9 = 10 seconds
Legendary Monster, multiattack + 3 legendary actions: 4(?)+1+1+1 = 7 seconds (still better than the PC)

That seems fair enough. What I like is that it can be adjusted by however you want combat to work. Want fewer ranged attacks? Make them cost more time. More utility spells than damage spells? Less time to cast them. I love how easy it is to modify modular things like this.

dave2008

Legend
That seems fair enough. What I like is that it can be adjusted by however you want combat to work. Want fewer ranged attacks? Make them cost more time. More utility spells than damage spells? Less time to cast them. I love how easy it is to modify modular things like this.

I agree, I hear a lot about issues with ranged combat being to good, slowing it down some might change that. Also, now that I think about, reactions should actually be a 0 cost. Otherwise, how how do you explain interrupting an attack.

Though this could vary I guess.

I've considered a 'yo-yo' initiative method wherein creatures go in initiative order on round 1, then reverse it for round 2, etc. This means that the one with the lowest initiative goes twice in a row at the bottom of the first round but the person with the highest goes twice in a row at the end of the end of the 2nd and so on up-and-down.

Lanliss

Explorer
I agree, I hear a lot about issues with ranged combat being to good, slowing it down some might change that. Also, now that I think about, reactions should actually be a 0 cost. Otherwise, how how do you explain interrupting an attack.

Though this could vary I guess.

I considered it interrupting your second of breath in between strikes, pushing yourself beyond normal limits to react to something. I suppose making it free wouldn't hurt much, though Spells cast as a reaction should still cost, I think.

Remove ads